Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

I'm 45 and my acne just EXPLODED!!

I'm going to the Dr. today to get an rx for spironolactone and am really hoping this works.  I was on acutane 12 yrs ago and do not want to do that again.  I wash with Philosophy Purity and use Retin A cream at night with 5% BP in the morning.   I've tried Zeno for breakouts and use a drying lotion similar to MB.  My skin is still oily at 45 yrs old and I'm near tears every day anymore!!  Makeup gets cakey by the end of the day even when I use mineral makeup.  I've had it!!!

I feel for you. I am in my mid twenties and acne has been...

I feel for you. I am in my mid twenties and acne has been a problem since hitting puberty. I find the important thing is to find a good skin care regiment. The problem is that a lot of over the counter products or even ones from the doctor are very harsh and drying. You want to find a face wash and lotion that does not dry out your face, which will only cause your face to create more oil, hence more break outs. I totally stay away from toners and products with alcohol. I am using Origins Zero Oil and it is so soft and soothing to the skin and it does work for me. Next, I make sure I use a moisturizer, then an oil controlling primer that is water based, and completely avoid make-up products with oil in them as well. Water-based products are the way to go. Too much or too little oil on our skin types and it is mayhem. I hope you find your skin care regiment and know that there is hope and many other women in your same shoes.

I have Cystic acne and know how tough acne can be. GET TH...

I have Cystic acne and know how tough acne can be. GET THE CLEARASONIC. It is amazing. Do NOT get Clinique Acne Solutions. It will make your acne worse, dry out your skin - trust me.

I like Exfolikate and add Glycolic to your regimen. I use Mario Badescu www.mariobadescu.com and love it.

First of all, about your oiliness...I have extremely oily...

First of all, about your oiliness...I have extremely oily, acne-prone skin, too, and am in my early 40s also.  I think an oil-controlling face primer will make your makeup stay on and look 100% better.  The best products that I have found to help stop my extreme oiliness is to apply an oil-controlling face primer such as Make Up For Ever All Mat Foundation Primer which you can read more about at:  http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P169809&categoryId=B70   Another very good oil-controlling foundation primer is Givenchy Mister Mat Mattifying Foundation Primer which you can read all about at:  http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml;jsessionid=RBWSFQGW0KMH2CV0KSKBPIQ?id=P231022&categoryId=B70

Now about the acne...I would try Clinique's "Acne Solutions" line of products.  They make some great skincare products (I love their foaming cleanser) and I will list a few below:

You can get the three above items in a set together to try out (and save money by getting them in a set) called "Acne Solutions Clear Skin System Kit" and you can find it at:  http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P188308​&categoryId=B70

Acne Solutions even makes a liquid foundation, concealer and other makeup products also.  The Acne Solutions products are gentle on sensitive skin, too.

I hope this helps you.  🙂

Re: First of all, about your oiliness...I have extremely oily...

I am a little afraid of trying another cleanser. The combination of Retin A and BP can be drying and I don't want to add to it. I just bought Fusion primer and I think I'm using it incorrectly. After applying it and putting on my mineral foundation my face looks cakey and when I touch it the makeup seems to rub off completely. Hormonal acne is cruel!!
4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing