Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|
Anonymous Insider

How can I get rid of my cystic acne without leaving more horrendous scars than I already have?

I have suffered with cystic acne for a while now, and I have no idea how to get rid of it.  I have oily skin, and pretty severe acne and acne scarring.  I need suggestions on products I can use to help minimize the breakouts and help get rid of the spots I have as of this moment.  I would love if someone could help me with moisturizers, toners, masks, anything skin-care related.  I just really need help!! Thank you guys, my face will thank you.

Re: How can I get rid of my cystic acne without leaving more horrendous scars than I already have?

With cysts, sometimes less is more. If you feel a cyst forming, ice it right away! The ice can help stop the inflammation. I have had mixed results with ice though, sometimes it works to reduce the size, others it does not. That is the frustrating things about cystic acne! 

Based on your age, it is most likely hormones causing this (happened to me at 20). If you aren't going to a derm or going on birth control, you may want to try Omega-3 vitamins.  I have read that they can help regulate hormones.  I haven't done much research on it, so you should do some yourself.

I would also try Thayer's witch hazel toner, it helps reduce redness from acne marks for me.  I would also recommend trying a retinol or retinoid. If you try retinol make sure to have a really good moisturizer since it will make your skin VERY dry.  Introduce it into your routine slowly, maybe one to two nights a week until your skin gets used to it.

Spot treatments are hard for cysts because they are so deep in your pores! It is so frustrating! I have heard that Renee Rouleau Anti-Cyst treatment works well. 

Re: How can I get rid of my cystic acne without leaving more horrendous scars than I already have?

I had this problem the past year or two. It just kept getting worse and worse and I didn't understand why!

I never touched my face, always cleaned my sheets, always followed a good skin care regime and used good products. But nothing seemed to work!

I finally went to the doctor and he got me on some antibiotic and after 2 weeks of use, my skin cleared up over night and all my acne scars are going away!

Sometimes I think even if we used all the best skin care products, sometimes its still just not enough.

See a dermatologist and see if they can help.

For the few cystic pimples I've had, and the stubborn ones that won't go away, Epsom salt has worked wonders.

I have tried many OTC treatments including salicylic acid (great for keeping skin mostly clear but doesn't do anything for active pimples), benzoyl peroxide, tea tree oil, sulphur spot treatments, etc....nothing has given me results like Epsom salt has.

I will add a couple drops of water to a small amount of Epsom salt until it's a little dissolved, then VERY gently rub over the pimple. Leave on for 5 minutes, then wash off.

For really bad ones, I'll do that and hold a warm compress over it.

It drained a really nasty cystic pimple for me, and has worked on really stubborn ones. It still takes time, but eventually they all drain on their own!

Just make sure the Epsom salt is pure, and doesn't contain any fragrance in it.

Anonymous Insider

Thank you for the advice!

I fought acne all through my 20s and into my 30s. I thought it would never go away but I found a website called Curology. They have real dermatologist in your area that can prescribe you medication for your acne. I started a free trail and had to answers some questions about my acne. Then took some pictures on my phone to send to them. A dermatologist reviews my response and prescribes medication that gets mailed to me. After the free trail I pay $19 a month and a new prescription is mailed every 3 months. The best part is that I can go online and talk with  my dermatologist anytime to let her know if the treatment is working or not. If not she will ask more questions and give me a different proscription. I've been with them for a year now and my skin is now at the point where I actually don't wear foundation anymore. Not to work, not out at all. I love it. Look it up.

https://curology.com/

Anonymous Insider

Thank you!

Maybe try Differin gel. It just became Over The Counter. It's sold at Walgreen's and probably some other stores.

Anonymous Insider

I'll look into that, thank you!

Sometimes food sensitivities can be the culprit. Have you ever tried eliminating dairy? I know a few people who stopped getting cystic acne after removing all dairy from their diet. 

Anonymous Insider

I have not tried that!  That's interesting, I'll do some research on that, thank you so much for your input! 

I developed a lactose sensitivity at 17/18, which might be the case for you. Acne does start in the gut, so trouble with your digestive system may be the culprit! I'd try cutting out dairy (and sugar if you can!) and see if it helps.  You could also try a probiotic every day, which regulates your digestive system.

@Anonymous Is there a certain region of your face that you usually get the cysts? How old are you? Do you notice an increased frequency of them pop up anytime during your cycle? And have you seen a dermatologist at all regarding your acne? 

Anonymous Insider

I get them almost always on my chin or above my lip.  I'm 17, and I may get more during my cycle, it just depends on how bad the cycle is that month.  I have not been to a derma because my mother thinks that it's "ridiculous" to take me, even though she's seen my skin.  I think I probably should be put on birth control, but right now my mom doesn't want to do that I guess, so I was looking for something to tide me over, I suppose??

@Anonymous I used to get cystic acne on my chin for years and infrequently around the rest of my face. It was really depressing for me and made me limit social interactions because I was so self conscious about it. I found a recommedation on a forum years ago to "limit" what I did with my products; go back to basics and to limit touching or fiddling with my face at all.

I was getting desperate so I gave it a shot (I never thought it would work tbh). My last resort was a derma. I have nothing against them, but I also wanted to exhaust every option on my own first.

For a few months I didn't use any cleansers or toners, and just used a mixture of argan oil and tea tree oil (~4:1 ratio) for moisturizing, and limited touching/picking/fiddling. I exfoliated lightly with a muslin cloth every night, and I only rinsed with water in the morning. Once a week I used a detoxifying clay mask (Osmia Organics). 

I was amazed, but it worked. After a few months, my skin got better. It's been a few years now since I did that, and I've maybe had 2-3 cysts pop up since then. I've been able to rotate new items into my routine since, but I still stick to somewhat more basic items (fewer ingredients, more natural, etc).

I can't say this will work for you, but I figure if some random internet people made my life better years ago with their advice, maybe one day I'll be able to help someone by sharing the same routine. 🙂 

Good luck! 

Anonymous Insider

I'm having the same problems right now...  I'm trying a couple of new products that seem to be helping but the stand out one that i've been using for over a month is the Estee Lauder Clear Difference Advanced Blemish Serum.  My acne scars seem to be diminishing so I'm thinking I might keep it in my regime.  That's the one product that I use every day., twice a day.

A bit on the more expensive side is the Glam Glow Supermud Clearing System.  It's the white Glam Glow packaging.  I use the cleanser at night and use the mask every couple of days (I alternate between the Clearing Treatment and Tinglexfoliate every couple of nights).  I'm starting to like it as it really does seem to get out some of the impurities.  Before you know if you want to commit to Glam Glow since it is so expensive, I would try out the trial sized Multimasking set which is $42.  It has the Clearmud cleanser and a couple of masks in it.  I only tried the brand after I got the Glam Glow 500 point perk and I liked it a lot.  But it is a trial and error process trying to find out what works for you.  And one more thing, MOISTURIZE!  Even oily skin needs moisture.  

Anonymous Insider

I really do want to try the Glam Glow Supermud Clearing System, I was doing some research on it today and I feel like it would really help!  I'll have to look into the Estee Lauder Serum as well, thank you so much!  And yes, I used to not moisturize at all because it made my face super itchy, but I found a moisturizer that will (hopefully) work for me!  Thank you so much for your help.  

It may be hormonal, but need to ask for a full hormonal test. Have you seen a dermatologist?

Anonymous Insider

I believe that it is hormonal, I think I need to go to a derma or be put on birth control, but I'm not at that stage yet, I was wondering if there was something that could help tide me over until then possibly??

My acne isn't hormonal, so not sure what absolutely works. Warm compress like a tea bag steamed for a minute and set on the cyst until cool with help lessen, tea bag holds heat longer. Doctor can put liquid nitrogen on it or cortizone shot to lessen. Ice won't do much. 

There is mario badescu drying lotion - pink liquid on bottom which is for cysts, they mail samples when contacted directly.

It's important to cleanse 2x day basic gentle product, no scrub, and moisturize 2xdaily. Saw your mom won't let you see a derm, make your own appointment, find a derm who specializes in acne, female may be more comfortable too. Acne can affect your confidence and everything else...I'm older and still battle it, but from going to derms when I was younger my skin now is pretty clear and I understand my skin much better.

And spf daily, especially with acne ingredients - sun sensitivity possible, it's a myth to use spf only when there's sun - cloudy days do burn.

@Anonymous

Conversation Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
testing