Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Help...12 year old daughter has cystic acne!

We are desperate. We have tried all the oral anabiotic’s and most of the prescription topicals. Along with several other brands of products. It just seems to get worse...Before we go to Accutane… Anyone have a miracle brand out there to recommend?

Re: Help...12 year old daughter has cystic acne!

Accutane is the miracle product for acne basically. My biggest regret is not going on it sooner. Unfortunately a lot doesn't work for cystic acne since it starts deep under the surface of the skin. If you have tried all the antibiotics and topicals then that would be your last option. Accutane is not nearly as scary or awful and people try to make it out to be and it has an exaggerated reputation. Myself and many people I know have had very mild side effects and 100% success. Obviously this is anecdotal and make the best decision for yourself based on your own research and guidance from a doctor though. 

@marley3285 

Unfortunately nothing will help. I wish I took Accutane when I was a teenager. Accutane is really not that bad when you follow the medical advice/instructions and do regular blood work and checkups. I was on accutane twice in my late 20’s and early 30’s and beside having dry lips, did nor have any other side effects. Good luck! 

RE: Help...12 year old daughter has cystic acne!

Ahh that is the worst! Im so sorry your daughter is going through that. Cystic acne is painful and so embarrassing i know first hand.... what kind of skincare is she using? Tldr if you dont want to read my whole reply: PEACE OUT and other zit patches/stickers are my Holy Grail product! Hydrocolloid is usually the main ingredient in those, but only work super effectively on zits that are popped/already at the surface. ZitSticka has some overnight patches targeting cystic acne. First off: Does she wear make up? If so i recommend she double cleanse every night that she wears any face make up.There are plenty of videos on Double cleansing online, so i’ll keep it short. Essentially you’ll want a micellar water or cleansing oil (cleansing balms are okay just not the best because almost every single one is formulated with plastics that harm the environment and cause micro tears in the skins surface) and on top of that cleanser, youll need a water based or gel cleanser (i use Farmacy Honey gel cleanser) Next, look for a toner, essence, or some sort of treatment with Probiotics/Prebiotics in it. This will help balance the bacteria on her face. Masks are great for this, Korres has a greek yohgurt probiotic mask thats soothing and i love! The online brand Averr Aglow also has some great products to choose from with probiotics. I would also highly suggest your daughter take oral probiotic supplements at the advisement of a nutritionist or her doctor, seriously has helped my gut and skin. (Which are more connected than you think) Thirdly, and this is where acids like glycolic acid come in, a treatment of some sort and definitely something targeted towards acne and pores. Salicylic acid is a god send for this! Kate sommerville has a great salicylic acid serum formulated for acne. And of course, moisturizer cant be forgotten, something like the Drunk Elephant Protini moisturizer is amazing for my acne, its light as a feather and has skin-mimicking ceramides in it! Plus, and this is crucial when shopping for skincare, the packaging is airtight. This means the formula cant get contaminated by your fingers and wont harbor bacteria.

Try The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Exfoliating Toner 8 oz/ 240 mL . Their products are mainly individual acids that are found in the best skin care products. So now you could just buy the acid that’s known best to treat your kind of acne. They have amazing reviews and are really affordable 

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing