Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Acne-Prone Skin

Frequent Whiteheads

I get whiteheads very frequently. I have dry skin and so I tend not to be too acne prone, however I feel like I get at least 1 whitehead a week. I do not get blackheads. I am currently using Clinique Acne Solutions Clarifying Lotion, however that doesn't really help my whiteheads, just my regular acne. If anyone can recommend a method or a product to help me? I feel like it might be because I really don't exfoliate often (once a week?), but I am worried about being too harsh on my dry skin? Thanks. Sorry for length.

Hi Vicky369,   I must admit I'm a bit confused as to what...

Hi Vicky369,

I must admit I'm a bit confused as to what your skin type is; you say you have dry skin and are not too acne prone, but you use Clinique's Acne Solutions clarifying lotion...? Dry skin (lacking oil) is not to be confused with dehydrated skin (lacking water). Also, just because you might get a pimple here and there doesn't mean you have acne. Using the wrong products for your skin may be what's causing the white heads: either because you use creams that are too rich or products that are too drying. I would suggest you consult with an esthetician or a local Sephora consultant to figure out your skin type and condition. (Unless you're sure of it and I just misunderstood)

Once that's out of the way, if you still struggle with those white heads, I would suggest using the Clarisonic cleansing device. It's really gentle, works even for the most sensitive skin (you have different speeds and brush heads to play with), and offers a better deeper cleanse. It does wonders to unclog pores, get rid of and prevent white heads. Sure, it is an investment, but it's really worth it; check out the reviews and you'll see how everyone's in love with it. I'm convinced you wouldn't be disappointed with it.

If you're truly not interested in that (but please, at least check it out!), you can simply use a spot treatment on your whiteheads as they appear. Kate Somerville's EradiKate is truly amazing as an overnight localized sulfur-based treatment. If you prefer salicylic acid or benzoyle peroxide (some people are allergic to some ingredients, or know that specific ones work best on them), Clinique for example offers one of each (the Emergency lotion contains 5%benzoyle peroxide and the Acne spot treatment contains 1% salicylic acid).

Finally, exfoliating once a week is usually what's recommended. If you'd like to try exfoliating on a daily basis, you could go with a gentle exfoliating cleanser like Bliss' Fabulous Foaming Face wash. That would probably help prevent your whiteheads without overdrying your skin. You could also try daily peel pads like Bliss' Incredi-Peel or Dr.Dennis Gross' Alpha Beta Daily Peel Pads, but it wouldn't be my first choice if you're really only concerned with those whiteheads. The peel pads would end up being very expensive and would suit you better only if you're looking for a global anti-aging, resurfacing, brightening treatment.

Hopefully this will have helped you consider different angles to solve your problem! :-)

Re: Hi Vicky369,   I must admit I'm a bit confused as to what...

@chloemg I am not sure what skin type is then? If I do not moisturize properly my skin does get really flaky specifically in the cheek area. My t-zone does not get too oily except maybe in my chin and my skin often feels tight. However, I do have a bit of acne. I say I am not too acne prone because I do not have anything like cystic acne, but I do breakout often. So I do not know? Could you possibly help me? Would that be combination? Smiley Tongue thanks

@chloemg I feel I should also mention that I started using the Clinique toner about 2 weeks ago and I experienced flakiness from not enough moisture long before I started using this product so I am pretty sure this toner is not drying me out. Thanks

Hi Vicky369,
I am so very sorry, hadn't noticed you replied to me (i thought we'd get notifications or something...)
Hopefully, by now you have found something that works better for your skin, but I'll still reply just in case!

Your skin seems very dehydrated to me. Try using a hydrating serum underneath a lightweight moisturizer to deeply hydrate your skin without making it break out more. Biotherm's Aquasource Superserum and Caudalie's Vinosource SOS Quench serum are two of my favorites! This should help with the flakiness. You could also use a mask once or twice a week, such as Ole Henriksen's blue/black berry enzyme mask or Caudalie's Hydrating cream mask.
If you need a lightweight moisturizer that will be good for your dehydrated skin while not worsening your breakouts, you could try Clinique's Moisture Surge gel (regular, not intense) or Korres' yoghurt cream. This should help prevent the flakiness, but it's really the serum and/or mask that will get rid of it first, especially in Winter time.

This should help treat your flakiness/dehydrated skin. However, because you're also struggling with breakouts, you need to integrate something in your routine that will help with that. If you breakout quite often, I would suggest using a cleanser that is made for acne-prone skin but is not too drying, such as Kate Somerville's Daily DTX acne-prone skin cleanser. Then, just use a spot treatment on your breakouts to treat them as they arise. I had already given you a few suggestions for that. The thing to keep in mind with a skin like yours (breakout-prone yet dehydrated) is balance; you want to stay away from very drying complete acne regimens because it will just cause your skin to protect itself by producing more oil. Learn to mix and match your products based on your specific skin condition!

Finally, another option (please bare with me for 2minutes) could be Josie Maran's 100% pure argan oil. I know using oil seems scary when you're breakout-prone, but in the case of Josie Maran's argan oil, it's really just a matter of texture; use it as your night moisturizer since you probably won't enjoy its feel during the day. Argan oil is non-comedogenic and helps balance out your skin, meaning it can help with BOTH the flakiness AND the breakouts! Think about it this way; oil fights oil. Why can't we remove waterproof mascara with a waterbased makeup remover? Same idea here.

I am so very sorry for the super late response, hopefully your skin is already better but you might still be able to pick up a few extra tips from my response!

Happy Holidays!
Chloe

Also, coming back to your original specific whiteheads dilemma;
I strongly, strongly, strongly suggest using the Clarisonic cleansing device once again. Does miracles for your skin. I struggled with blackheads and some whiteheads and although they're not completely gone, my skin has improved greatly since I started using this device (instead of needing a facial every 1-2 months, I need it maybe twice a year!)

And if you're looking for a non-drying exfoliant, Fresh's sugar face polish is amazing. Because it's sugar-based, it exfoliates well then melts into your skin and leaves it soft and hydrated. :-)
Highlighted

Are you sure that they are white heads and you don't have...

Are you sure that they are white heads and you don't have some thing else going on with your skin?

Re: Are you sure that they are white heads and you don't have...

@beautylovingirl well they are kind of white, **bleep** heads so I'm not sure what else it could be other than whiteheads?

I am sorry my last comment got bleeped? I didn't say a bad word? Sorry Smiley Surprised

Well just because you have these bumps don't mean you have acne because there is also a condition called milla which you can mistake for acne. That's why I asked, but since you chose to post what you did I'll let you figure it out.

@beautylovinggirl Im so orry I was not trying to come accross rude in my comment at all! I was genuinely curious as to your thought about what it was. I have been struggling to figure out what has been up with my skin. Thank you for your information, I'll do some more reasearch on that. Sorry if I came across rude? I didnt mean to... Smiley Happy
4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors