Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin

Exfoliators

My esthetician suggested that I exfoliate more. She recommended Elemis Skin Buff. What is a cream based exfoliator that anyone may suggest? I want to weigh my options. My goal is also to remove dark spot for more even skin tone and radiant skin

Re: Exfoliators

@BeautifulyNsane  Do you have very sensitive skin that doesn't tolerate chemical exfoliants? If not, consider a liquid leave-on chemical exfoliant you can apply 1-3 times a week after cleansing. My personal favorites are made by Paula's Choice, but The Ordinary has good less expensive options: The Ordinary Lactic Acid 5% + HA 1 oz/ 30 mL and The Ordinary Mandelic Acid 10% + HA 1 oz/ 30 mL are the brand's gentlest options, followed by The Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% + HA 2% Exfoliating Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL . For something even gentler, consider The INKEY List Polyhydroxy Acid (PHA) Gentle Exfoliating Toner 3.4 oz/ 100 mL . I use the PHA toner on my neck and under my eyes. 

The first cream-based exfoliator that comes to mind is actually an exfoliating cleanser, and I can't believe I'm suggesting this brand but: Tatcha The Deep Cleanse Gentle Exfoliating Cleanser . I mean, Tatcha's not a bad brand... I just think some of their products are overpriced, and nearly each product I've tried irritated my fussy skin. Your results may vary. Tatcha also makes some "rice polish" cleansers: those are powders you have to mix with water to form an exfoliating cleanser. Those and their Deep Cleanse product are physical scrub exfoliants. I don't recommend using them daily because even a scrubby cleanser can over-exfoliate your skin if used too frequently—especially if your skin's sensitive, or you also use a chemical exfoliant (AHA, PHA, BHA). 

Another option: check your local drugstore (or Target, if you're in the US) for La Roche-Posay Ultra Fine Face Scrub. It's a gel texture, not a cream, but it's a rinse-off physical exfoliant. I've never used it, but it's another less expensive product to consider. 

Re: Exfoliators

@WinglessOne Thank you so much for your detailed insight. My skin is not very sensitive so I am open to the options you suggested. I actually was considering The Ordinary products suggested as well as the Tatcha The Deep Cleanse Gentle Exfoliating Cleanser. I was also considering Biossance Squalane + Glycolic Renewal Mask.

Thanks again I truly appreciate you taking your time to assist with suggesting products that may work for me.

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing