Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Does any one know a good face wash for hormonal acne ?

I been struggling with hormonal acne for 1 1/2 years (Yes i been to the doctors ALOT) and they recommend to get a higher price face wash because I always use Neutrogena. I never bought any skin stuff from sephora before so I need some help lol. To give more details I am early 20s and I have sensitive skin.

Olehenricksen Find Your Balance cleanser is amazing. it doesnt strip your skin of the natural oils it needs. Also, once I stopped over exfoliating and aggravating which included facial brushes, scrubs more often than once per week, and toners with exfoliants in them, my skin significantly improved.

Re: Does any one know a good face wash for hormonal acne ?

CAUDALIE - Vinopure Pore Purifying Gel Cleanser

Look into the rest of their Vinopure line too! I swear by it for acne prone skin!

@XsnowprincessX I have the same problem with my skin- my jawline is the main  area of concern but every now and then I'll get a spot on my cheeks. What would probably serve you best is an AHA/BHA acid containing cleanser, treatment, or toner to keep your skin as fresh and clear as it can be on a daily basis. That being said, I still get breakouts so it's definitely better but it's not some miracle cure or anything- just so you maybe know a bit about what to expect.

I have used and love Kate Somerville ExfoliKate™ Cleanser Daily Foaming Wash with AHA & Enzymes 4 oz/ 118 mLand when I first started using it I was amazed at the difference in my skin. With the sale I decided to try the INDIE LEE - Brightening Cleanserbecause it sounds like the same thing use and results wise but I prefer clean beauty brands and it's $4 cheaper. I really like that I can use both  as a mask or spot treatment- if I'm getting dry flaky skin around a healing spot I dab a bit of this on for 3-5 minutes and the dead skin just melts away. My skin looks better and if I'm wearing makeup that day it goes on with no patchy/flaky spots. I haven't been using the Indie Lee long enough to know if there's anything wonky about it over the long term, but I've used the exfolikate since it launched 2-3 years ago and I still stand by its effectiveness.

All that said, the Paula's choice cleanser recommended below and the Dennis Gross peel pads will do the same things for your skin, so it mostly comes down to price and how you will use it. I personally would not go with the peel pads as they are strong and might irritate your skin if you've never used an acid product before. They're also more of an infrequent treatment (like once a week or whatever) than daily maintenance, which is what you need with finnicky skin. Paula's choice is highly recommended on these boards generally.

Another option would be to get a nicer non- AHA/BHA cleanser and then get a glycolic toner like The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Exfoliating Toner 8 oz/ 240 mL- or any number of others out there- this is just the cheapest one I know of that works well. I still prefer the cleansers because they can be used as a mask for a more intensive treatment here and there, but this way you still have a cleanser you can use even if your skin is feeling too sensitive for a harsher acid cleanser. 

RE: Does any one know a good face wash for hormonal acne ?

Skinceuticals special cleansing gel! It’s a professional formula.

I suffer from hormonal acne too! my doctor prescribed me Spironolactone, water pill, I was on it for a year and it worked. From Sephora I highly recommend Dr. Dennis Gross Extra Strength Daily Peel treatment. It's simply amazing what this treatment can do to clear your skin.

@XsnowprincessX  Did your doctor(s) recommend any specific cleansers, or at least recommend a brand or 2, or maybe suggest a type of cleanser (gel, cream, foam, oil-free, etc.)? Or did they just recommend “get a cleanser that costs more than Neutrogena”? They should’ve given you more helpful info than that, especially since higher price doesn’t automatically mean a product’s better for you. 

I also get hormonal acne. I’m dealing with a jawline flair right now, actually. I alternate between 2 Paula’s Choice cleansers, but not specifically to help with that type of acne. Paula’s Choice CLEAR Pore Normalizing Cleanser contains salicylic acid, so it does help with random pimples elsewhere on my face and helps keep my oily zone in check. My other cleanser is Paula’s Choice Hydralight Cleanser, which is my non-BHA face wash. I use these products because they don’t strip my mostly-dry combo skin or gunk up my oily zone, and they contain nothing that irritates my finicky skin. 

@XsnowprincessX  I really like the First Aid Beauty Pure Skin Face Cleanser 5 oz/ 150 mL

I don't think it would really help with your hormonal acne but it's a great one for sensitive skin. 

Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors
testing