Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Dark spots , scarring and pimples

I have never had severe acne or dark spots as a teenager. Now at 29 years old my skin is breaking out. I have pimples, scars and a lot of dark spots. I also have maskne.  Before the breakouts i used St-Yves cleanser, scub and face cream. Now i use Monat products for sensitive skin. I started my journey 3 months ago and it doesn't seem to work ! PLEASE HELP! 😭 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler

Re: Dark spots , scarring and pimples

Did the breakouts increase after starting the Monat line, @Kateandre? I ask because there are some ingredients that could trigger negative reactions in some folks. None of their products in the sensitive line  seem to target acne though, so it's not surprising that you're continuing to have issues. The best bet for really controlling acne is BHA/salicylic acid. And for dark spots, I'd look at vitamin C (ascorbic acid) serums. But I wouldn't work those in until you have a solid routine of a gentle cleanser, moisturizer, and sunscreen. That will mean less likelihood of irritation. What's your skin type?

Re: Dark spots , scarring and pimples

Hi @Kateandre I have dealt with adult acne too and understand how tough it can be! I found my acne was seriously improved when I started using products that were a bit more soothing and I think you were on the right track by trying sensitive skincare. I would recommend trying a cleanser, toner, and moisturizer that are gentle (no physical or chemical exfoliation, maybe even ones not geared towards treating acne) and then once a week using something a little tougher like The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution 1 oz/ 30 mL or Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta® Universal Daily Peel. I have used both and like them, and although they say they can be used more than once a week, I wouldn't to ensure your skin doesn't dry out or get irritated- and make sure you follow with lots of moisture! Products like these can help zap your current acne and help reduce the appearance of dark spots and scars. I would also use an acne spot treatment as needed. Of all of them, I've had the best results with Proactiv Emergency Blemish Relief 9.45 g .

I hope this helps! I know how frustrating acne treatment and finding a routine can be. 

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors