cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

DRUNK ELEPHANT OR SUNDAY RILEY?

Hello!

I am looking for a new skincare routine and unsure if I should try the DRUNK ELEPHANT Day/Night sets or the SUNDAY RILEY New School Skincare Set (As they no longer sell Squad Goals) as I've heard amazing stuff for both. I am still a newbie and currently using a Korean skincare but I seem to keep breaking out now that I am older and almost done with it.

My skin is sensitive, dry, now ACNE prone, blemish/hyper-pigmentation spots and uneven skintone. Also I am turning 30 and want some anti-wrinkle skincare added to my routine. can anyone recommend on past experience, which one will help me the most!

Thanks in advance!

Anonymous Insider

Re: DRUNK ELEPHANT OR SUNDAY RILEY?

I'm 27, very acne prone, have lots of hyperpigmentation and acne scars due to my PCOS and have combination skin. I've tried a lot of the products from the two brands and here are the ones I love the most:

1. Drunk Elephant C-Firma

2. Drunk Elephant TLC Sukari 

3. Sunday Riley Luna Oil - life changing!!

4. Sunday Riley - miracle in a bottle!!

5. Drunk Elephant Marula Oil

Though most of my skincare is composed of Drunk Elephant stuff (6 items), its the Sunday Riley Luna Oil + Good Genes that I can't live without. The combo changed my very bad skin to one that looks almost flawless under makeup and when bare, 80% improved from when my PCOS wrecked havoc on it.

Anonymous Insider

I think that u may love Drunk Elephant, it’s changed my skin  dramatically ! 😏 

DRUNK ELEPHANT OR SUNDAY RILEY?

sunday riley all the way. for acne they the U.F.O. clarifying face oil that is specifically for acne. even with acne you need to keep your skin hydrated. what helps me is Sunday rileys juno face oil and belief moisture bomb face cream.

I would pick Sunday Riley, I tried Luna (though nowadays I mostly use prescription strength retinol), love Juno, Ceramic slip, blue moon cleansing balm and Good Genes (amazing, but you might have to start out every other day if you are not used to acids).

I was unimpressed by some of the Drunk Elephant products and I am not a fan of the brand  when it comes to their scare-mongering and blaming customers when the products don't work (she said her products only work when you use the whole line!).

I've tried the Framboos and the Vit C serum and they did nothing for me.

I did really enjoy the Tango eye cream and I am seriously considering purchasing the full size. It's great and works wonders under makeup as well. The soap bars are great too!

RE: DRUNK ELEPHANT OR SUNDAY RILEY?

I reached out to Sunday Riley for some help with my morning and evening routine. I have acne prone skin, scarring, hyper pigmentation and some wrinkles on my forehead. Morning Routine: Ceramic Slip, UFO oil, CEO serum, and Tidal. Evening Routine: Ceramic Slip, Luna Oil, Good Genes (Every other day) and Tidal. I can’t begin to explain the difference in my skin. I had used Accutane my skin was destroyed. I hope this helps. Good luck !

I have dry, acne prone skin that scar, and am 30

I've tried both lines and I LOVE Drunk Elephant more. Sunday Riley is still good, but Drunk Elephant worked better for my skin. Cleared up my skin and helped with acne. Good Genes is a great product however. It really depends on what works better for your skin, and the products you like better. But for me, I'm addicted to drunk elephant.

I, too, struggle with the same skin problems. I’m 28, so we are close in age, as well. 

I have tried numerous products from both lines. Other than DE’s eye serum, Babyfacial and Marula oil, all of the products broke me out and fell short: their gelee cleanser, Framboos, and vitamin C serum all broke me out and left me unimpressed. I do love their eye serum, Babyfacial, and Marula oil, though I find the Marula oil to be overpriced and I replaced it with Sunday’s Juno Oil, which I like even better. 

Sunday’s line, in my opinion, is much better. The ingredients don’t clog pores and cause acne, like some of DE’s ingredients do. I use the Luna Oil, Good Genes, Ceramic face wash, Juno Oil, and Vitamin C Serum, and my skin looks and feel lovely. I really wish the Luna Oil did not have artificial colors, but I really like the product. I use the Good Genes sparingly (twice a week) because it is a very strong formula and if I use it too often, my skin has a bad reaction (little pumps/pimples). Good Genes is excellent when I don’t use it too much. The Juno Oil is my favorite - very hydrating and provides a glow without causing acne. I also use a lot of Josie Maran products, and I highly recommend her line, as well. Plus, it is more affordable. 

What artificial color does Luna oil contain? One of it's main ingredients is Blue Tansy which happens to be blue. Ever seen Blue Tansy essential oil? It is exactly the color of Luna oil. It's not blue dye. 

@mayla2326 It's right there on the ingredients list though. 

Persea Gratissima (Extra Virgin, Cold Pressed Avocado) Oil, Vitis Vinifera (Organic, Cold Pressed Concord Grape) Seed Oil, Rubus Fruticosus (Cold Pressed Blackberry) Seed Oil, Salvia Hispanica (Cold Pressed Chia) Oil, Dimethyl Isosorbide (and) Hydroxypinacolone Retinoate, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Oil, Tanecetum annuum (Blue Tansy) oil, Anthemis nobilis (English Chamomile) oil, Eriocephalus punctulatus (Cape Chamomile) oil, Citrus Aurantium Amara (Neroli) Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Blood Orange) oil, Cananga Odorata Flower (Ylang Ylang) Oil, Vetivera zizanoides (Vetiver) oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil (and) Rosmarinus officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, CI 61565 (Green 6), CI 60725 (Violet 2).

Well that sucks! Now I can't tell myself it's the blue tansy! 😂

I have combination oily acne skin and if I was going to u...

I have combination oily acne skin and if I was going to use one or the other of those I would use a glycolic at home and you can get a phytic acid as well or any acid that you would like to use along with instructions and someone on the other end of the phone to tell you what you need and how you should prepare if you want to do any of that stuff and get better results. I use the skin pills from Platinum skin care and I also get them cheaper at makeup artist Choice. Both are online companies and if you look at the Main Ingredients the phytic acid is the main ingredient in the good genes from Sunday Riley. The glycolic is the main ingredient in the drunk elephant so I would just get a sample size of the right one for you and if you apply the samples from makeup artist Choice. Com with a Q-tip you will get about five tries out of it. I am about to order some phytic myself because I just had the same question as you and could not think of spending so much money on the drunk elephant when I can pay about $8 for the glycolic and I already have some here and it's giving me great results. Both companies use a good pH so all you do to pick yours is start from the bottom percent and move up. What I'm also doing right now that has made a big difference is I was using skincare wipes with 2% salicylic acid each night and they had 10% glycolic also. I don't know what the pH was I had ordered them on Amazon but I went to platinum skin care and got the 3% mini pill pads and cut them in half and use one on my face after and alcohol toner and sleep in it and my face has not broke out since. Sometimes it's just better to take a little risk then pay almost $100 for something that you're not sure if it will give you results and you know you can get the same thing cheaper , it may work for you.

Re: I have combination oily acne skin and if I was going to u...

Spoiler
I love Platinum skincare! I put hated the 30% tca sample and and 7% tca for my eye area. I dilute the 30% and have already done several peels from the sample bottle! I also ordered the pre peel prep, the emu oil and the healing oil and have loved all of the products so far! Cant wait to try more of their products and peels!

Definitely Sunday Riley 100%

Sunday Riley is fantastic! Both are amazing, but if you have acne prone skin, the UFO oil and The Martian sulfur mask will do wonders for your skin!

I tried the Mask, The sulfur mask, and it never hardened...

I tried the Mask, The sulfur mask, and it never hardened and was very difficult to work with with its texture it was kind of like jello. I did get a sample of one from dr. Brandt I believe, it was one of those brands that have been there a long time that was by a dermatologist and am hoping that that sulfur mask will work better.

it's not supposed to harden. I used as a spot treatment a...

it's not supposed to harden. I used as a spot treatment at night and it pulled the pus out of my zits by morning
Anonymous Insider

Re: I tried the Mask, The sulfur mask, and it never hardened...

Super late reply but this mask works wonders you just have to use a thinner layer then most masks and leave it on for 20 minutes. I found when I used a thicker layer at first it didn’t dry down 

Sunday Riley would be best. And I have also learnt that a good sun screen help with the oily skin. The one I would suggest is the Farmacy Sunscreen (Green Screen Daily Environmental Protector Broad Spectrum MineralSunscreen SPF 30 with Echinacea GreenEnvy™)  to help balance out the oil quantity that the skin produce.

Just a suggestion - stay as FAR away from DE’s Umbra. It’s AWFUL - runny, greasy, oil, and sticky with a weird chemical smell. I hate it. I’m using La Roche-Posay now and I LOVE IT!!! 

Tata Harper has a great line as well. Their oil cleanser is AMAZING! I also struggle with the same skin probs. 

51 Replies
Conversation Stats
testing