Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Acne-Prone Skin

Cystic Acne - HELP ME!!!

I have cystic acne (usually around that time of the month).  I've struggled with acne since my early teens and now I'm 30.  I had hoped that when I turned 30 my skin would just say "ok....you're older, I'll calm down now...."  but that hasn't happened.  I have tried everything from Mary Kay, BeautiControl, Proactiv, Clinque (years ago), Merle Norman and Murad.  I use Olay Total Effects now, but it still isn't clearing it up on my jaw line and underneath.  I am looking for something that will work - I've looked at the philosophy, boscia and kate somerville.....any ideas on any of them?

I honestly don't mind the cost if it is going to work.  I am open to ideas!!

Tags (2)
Highlighted

Re: Cystic Acne - HELP ME!!!

If you have tried everything, it may be time to see a dermatologist. If you have insurance, visiting the Derm and using the topical meds that they will prescribe, will save you alot of time and money compared to the effort it takes to try various over the counter products.

Also, your issue seems very similar to my own battle with cystic acne. It seems that topical solutions don't work for you, so I would recommend that you try Accutane (generics). I hate pills and my 6 month treatment of accutane was not pleasant. But a year later, I can honestly say that it was the best decision I could have ever made for my skin.  If Murad and Clinique (the blue acne system) didn't work, I honestly don't think philosophy, boscia or kate somerville will work for you. I've used all three brands to maintain my skin, but they will not work as acne treatments.

Went to the derm already - prescribed me some cream that even with insurance was well over $100 a month.  The Olay works alright - I also want some kind of anti-aging deal too.  It is weird, if I try to pop them - they don't pop, just leak (i know gross...)

Hi,

I get cystic breakouts as well. These products have worked for me: DDF's Sulphur Mask (as a spot treatment), Ren's Glycolactic Skin Renewal Peel, and Mario Badescu's Buffering Lotion and Drying Cream. The latter have been the most effective and reduce my breakouts in about two days. All but Ren, use sulphur as the active ingredient, which may or may not work for you.

Cystic breakouts are usually hormonal, so it's more about treating than prevention.

any thoughts on boscia??

Tags (1)

I like Boscia and i suggest you try it. boscia also have an acne line but they don't use the chemicals to burn or dry your skin so you can actually balance and regulate your skin. All the other brands mentioned use chemicals and they do nothing but weaken your skin in the long run. it's like taking a pain killer each time you have a headache. not finding the root cause and teaching the body to be healthy. and exfoliators like glycolic acid, is an irritant that just burns off a layer of skin to reveal smooth skin. your skin should be balancing oil production, shed dead skin cells and not have clogged pores. but all the chemicals do is just remove, take away, burn. there are also plenty of asian skincare that don't use chemicals. it's about gentle cleansing and nourishing each step. also, when the skin is balanced as just described, you can use a gentle physical exfoliator to remove what's already brought up to skin surface. boscia, though not organic, is still more natural using plant ingredients to feed nutrition to the skin. no chemicals. my skin have always behaved balanced whenever i'm not using chemical ingredients. 

Tags (1)

Hi,

I have only used Boscia's Oil-free moisturizer and blotting sheets. The active ingredient in their Breakout treatment is willow bark which is said to soothe and decrease inflammation, this ingredient is in other natural acne products. I would say it's worth getting a sampleSmiley Happy

I've tried Murad, too, but I had success with it for 2 years. When I stopped, the regimen just didn't work the same. I still use Murad's Skin Perfecting Lotion, though. Right now, I use Philosophy's On a Clear Day and I have to say it honestly works faster than Murad. You might experience a rut, where for a week you might stop seeing improvements, but it's just that--a rut. I would advise to keeping using the regimen. I also have to say that for me Philosophy's con is that some of the products in the kit don't last very long and others, like the cleanser can last forever. Just give it a try. If you prefer to stay out of the acne kit department, you might want to try REN's Clear Calm 3 Anti-Blemish Clay Cleanser. I used about 2 bottles of that cleanser and it was not drying at all. I think it's a good change from the harsh acne ingredients that are found in a lot of acne products today, so maybe natural is the way to go. The plus side is that even if you massage your face, you won't experience the dryness that you feel from other cleansers. You know the tightness, Because your acne is around your jawline, it might be also a hormonal issue, so you might want to see a dermatologist to make sure before running out and trying more acne products. I hope this helps!

Have you considered purchasing a Clarisonic Mia?  That in conjuction with using a gentle cleanser (some good ones have been suggested) that contains salicylic acid (which incidentally comes from the white willow plant) or glycolic acid, has helped tremendously with eliminating blackheads which is one of acne's forms, from my skin.  Salicylic or glycolic acid products are anti bacterial and will help gently exfoliate and eliminate bacteria.  Acne treatment is different from treating a headache.  Hopefully when you have a headache and take an aspirin it reacts on the temporary cause of the pain.  Acne can be hormone related and often needs continuous treatment.

I suffer from the occasional cystic acne as well. It is possibly the most frustrating thing! It hurts more than the normal pimple and it feels like a bulbous lump way underneath the skin. Worst is, if you try popping it when it's not ready, it immediately swells up and becomes larger and more red.

I have tried a multitude of products all designed to help acne, but the best one I always go to is by far Eradikate from the Kate Somerville line. The moment you feel one of those bumps coming in, dip a cotton swab into the product (make sure it dips into the pink sediment) and dot it onto the pimple. Leave it on for a while and wash off in the morning when you wake up. It dramatically reduces both the size and swelling of the cyst, and it should bring it to a poppable head in about 3 days. For normal pimples, after I leave it on at night, when I wake up the pimple is gone. It's a great product and relatively inexpensive as well at $22.

Hope it works for you as well as it has for me!

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 9 Hearts Given
  • 12 Contributors