Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Cleansing balm or oil

I'm currently looking for a cleansing balm or oil to remove my makeup. Which are the best but won't irritate and cause me to break out? Also are these types of makeup removers the best when you have acne prone skin?

Re: Cleansing balm or oil

@Titicici  I prefer cleansing oils. The one I have been using for years now and have no intentions to replace it anytime soon is Shiseido Perfect Cleansing Oil w/ Grape Seed Oil 6 oz/ 180 mL

It is very light weight and effective and cleans away heaviest makeup in one go. 

@Titicici I personally prefer oils over balms because they seem to wash away more easily and don't leave any filmy feeling on my skin. The Farmacy Green Clean Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm 3.4 oz/ 100 mLthat so many people recommend does feel nice, but unfortunately it has ylang ylang oil in it, which I avoid due to my sensitive skin and rosacea. I love the CLINIQUE Take The Day Off Cleansing Oil Makeup Remover 6.7 oz/ 200 mL; it removes everything except my most stubborn waterproof makeup, doesn't leave any residue, and doesn't cause any breakouts or redness flares. 

I like oil better than balm but that is just a personal preference.  I find that the oils wash off easier.  And, I follow up with a very gentle foam cleanser after.  The double cleanse has worked wonders for my skin.  The oil cleanser cleanses of oil based debris (essential if you have acne prone skin) and the water based cleanser rinses off water based debris.

There is a lot of wisdom below on this thread.  I also favor more natural brands as my skin does better with them.  Having said that, everyone's skin responds differently to different ingredients so I believe it's best to try a few different brands/products.

And, while I like oils, I have been using the Drunk Elephant balm and love it (but note, a few people on this thread have had issues with it).  For a long time I avoided Tatcha, believing that it is better for those with oily skin (mine is dry) but their product line has continued to evolve and I've started trying a product here and there.  

Now that Sephora has so many Korean brands (which except for some of the lower end brands tend to be more gentle/natural), and which are what I mostly use, you have a lot of options to try.

Thank you for the recommendations!

Thank you for the recommendations!

Cleansing balm or oil

Acne is complex and can have many different triggers, depending on the person. My personal trigger is olive oil, so I try to avoid any products with that as an ingredient. I also avoid fragrance (artificial or natural) and essential oils. The actual form, whether oil or balm, or wipe or cleansing (micellar) water, is generally up to personal preference. I usually go with Target's fragrance free makeup remover wipes, which are cheap, travel-friendly, and have no filler ingredients - but if I'm in the mood to pamper my skin with something luxurious, I use Clinique's Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm. It's rich and creamy but melts so satisfyingly fast, and it rinses off so easily with water. Super effective at removing makeup. It's also reasonably priced in my opinion, though there's a travel size mini you can buy to try it out. I also like the Drunk Elephant Beste No. 9 Jelly Cleanser, which I chose for my Sephora birthday deluxe sample.

When it come to products I try to keep them as simple ing...

When it come to products I try to keep them as simple ingredients as possible. More on the natural side which has really helped my skin calm and help a bunch of my acne disappear. I've only ever used makeup wipes but I've grown tired of them and they've started to irritate my face. The clinique and the farmacy cleansing balms really sound interesting since everyone is recommending them! I've tried the drunk Elephant jelly cleanser but it really irritated my face as well as make me start breaking out again. I was disappointed since I've heard a lot of great things about it.

I have not tried any oils, but the Farmacy Green Clean Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm 3.4 oz/ 100 mL

Is simply an excellent choice, as already suggested.  😊 @Titicici 

Thank you the more people reccomend the Farmacy cleansing...

Thank you the more people reccomend the Farmacy cleansing balm the more I'm willing to try it out! thank you!

Hi @Titicici, my fave is Tatcha The Camellia Oil 2-in-1 Makeup Remover & Cleanser 5.1 oz/ 150 mL.  The Clinique balm is nice as is Farmacy Green Clean Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm 3.4 oz/ 100 mL.  I do think I have pretty tough skin - stress makes me break out more than products.

Thank you for your recommendations! My only issue is I'm...

Thank you for your recommendations! My only issue is I'm afraid of trying something completely new and have it break my face out when I just got it to look normal. But I'm willing to try this balm since of all of the positive reviews!

I agree too! These are two of my favorite products as well:)

❤️ Melissa

@Titicici, the products recommended by @newcarlee are fabulous!!! 💗💕💗💕 Completely agree! 

Are there ones that you've tried in the past that have caused issues for you, @Titicici? Personally, I love Shiseido's Perfect Cleansing Oil, but Clinique's Take the Day Off (both balm and oil) are also popular choices. 

No I haven't really tried any I've only used makeup wipes...

No I haven't really tried any I've only used makeup wipes but I've grown tired of them and my skin has become irritated by using them. Also they don't seem to really do the job. I've heard great things about balms and oils to remove makeup so I wanted to try them out! Thank you for your recommendation!
Conversation Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 27 Hearts Given
  • 11 Contributors
testing