Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Breakouts from face makeup

I'm allergic to pretty much all my foundations I think. Not sure if this is a problem to be answered here, in a store or by my dermatologist. I'm sixteen and have been dealing with general, persistent acne for quite some time, but recently I realized that a large part of my issue was my makeup. My derm has me using Aczone which has helped quite a bit and I've tried not using makeup, but I just enjoy it and want to glam my face from time to time. 

I use a gentle cleanser in the morning and at night, followed by a spritz of rosewater a little bit of the Sunday Riley UFO and then a light application of my Aczone and when not using makeup my skin really does look good. Anytime I get a break out and without thinking, apply some concealer or even just powder if I'm feeling insecure, the whole area around it is completely broken out in large red bumps that can be popped by the time I go to take my makeup off just a few hours later. A full face of makeup is just an absolute nightmare. The only thing I've noticed that helps to reduce the breakouts is if I do some sort of detoxifying clay mask immediately after the removal of any makeup I had on that day, but I can't do the mask too much, otherwise my skin will be very dry, which will just cause more issues.

I've tried all kinds of different primers, foundations, concealers and powders and all of them contribute to the issue. I'm okay with just brows and mascara but like I said, there are times that I just want to be less natural and enjoy my makeup. 

Friends of mine have recommended the Clinique foundation and the Dr. Jart BB Cream (which I've not yet tried), but I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for products or just what to do? Should I just talk to my dermatologist about this (I see her in a month so I'll likely mention it anyway). 

Much appreciation for any and all suggestions!!!

Re: Breakouts from face makeup

First make sure all of your makeup brushes are clean. They should be cleaned weekly or more often if you use them a lot, and certainly after every time you let a friend use your brushes. Find a brush cleaner, and in-between cleaning you can spritz them with alcohol. 

Next, make sure your makeup is clean. If you are using sticks (like eyeliner or lipstick) or creams, spritz them with alcohol periodically to clean them. For powders DO NOT use alcohol, use beauty so clean cleaning spray on any powders. Bottles are fine unless you dip your fingers in them, and remember to always wash you hands before applying makeup with hands. 

Hopefully this might help you from breaking out more when using makeup so you can enjoy it! 

hi @lng9 ! i'm so sorry you're experiencing this.

i suppose the first thing we can do is compare ingredients lists of the foundations and concealers you've used and know for sure have given you this reaction. think hard about if you've ever tried one that *didn't* give you this reaction. perhaps we can find a common ingredient(s) that either clogs your pores (all skins are different and can be sensitive to just about anything) or that you're allergic to.

you would say these flare ups are definitely acne and not a rash of some sort, too ?

I haven't ever really sat down and compared anything, but I've tried all different types, like foundations that are matte or semi-matte or dewy or satin finishes, light, medium and full coverages, liquids, creams, sticks, mousses, and they all seem to do the same thing so. Besides it's powder and non-powder products so logically, what would be in ALL of those that I'm allergic to? Unless there's more than one thing 

Definitely acne and not a rash, they're raised bumps, very red, not huge but they're big and contain the same grossness that a whitehead does.

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing