Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Best solutions for Cystic/Hormonal Acne?

Hey all-

I've struggled with Cystic acne around my chin and cheeks for years. I started a new birth control, and that's helped a ton, but I always have a few active big guys around my chin and cheeks, and a TON of discoloration (not deep scars, just surface level) from old breakouts still on my cheeks. Any advice on cleansers/solutions to help? Would so not rather keep piling on foundation to cover it up 😞 

Re: Best solutions for Cystic/Hormonal Acne?

@hannahtbloom I have the same problems and adding an acid serum/ exfoliator and as others have mentioned a retinol/retinA have worked wonders for me.

I personally use FARMACY - HONEYMOON GLOW AHA Resurfacing Night Serum with Hydrating Honey + Gentle Flower Acidsevery other night (you may want to use it less often and dilute it in your moisturizer to start) and DRUNK ELEPHANT - A-Passioni™ Retinol Creamabout twice a week (another product you should start slow on- only once a week). It took about 1 1/2 months to really see a lot of progress but my skin is finally back to how it used to be minus a couple scars that haven't totally faded yet and I am honestly so happy with the results. Less expensive options from the Ordinary might be adding their glycolic toner to your lineup every couple days instead of the Farmacy and their granactive retinoin (?) emulsion in place of the Drink Elephant.

While I know different things work for different people, though acids and retinols are sort of a catch-all. I personally have never had good luck with salycilic acids or sulfur treatments (with the exception of the Eradicate foaming mask) but they still may be worth trying for you.

Finally as someone who grew up in the dairy state, while I am obviously biased, my hormonal acne kicked in well after I had stopped drinking/consuming much dairy products. Again, worth trying- different things for different people- but it's probably not the main source of your skin issues

@hannahtbloom You may also need the pill spironolactone, which helps hormonal acne. For otc, Mario Badescu Drying Lotion Original

Mario Badescu Buffering Lotion 1 oz/ 29 mL

If you're new to MB direct site, there's a sample offer (pay ship) to try out products based on your skin.

What products do you use now? Standalone Spf daily or hyperpigmentation can get darker.

If you're big on dairy, cut back. Those extra hormones can affect cystic acne.

Dairy, sugar, stress-- all can exacerbate acne.  Spironolactone is a good rec to inquire about with your dermatologist as well as a retina. Microneedling might work well for scars. Discoloration--the only produxt that has worked for me is one by murad that i sampled. I got concerned when I saw it had a particular ingredientin it so I stopped. Finally, a derm might be able to rx u something for it. 

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing