Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Best routines for comedones??

Hi! My skin isn't terrible when I'm being diligent about my routine, but I do have these stubborn small bumps on my forehead, cheeks, and sometimes chin. I have both open (blackheads around my nose) and closed (bumps on my forehead) comedones. My routine currently is wash my face with a gentle cleanser (I use glossier milky jelly cleanser) then exfoliate with goop microderm exfoliator then use a toner with glycolic acid in it then use DE TLC serum then Hyaluronic Acid serum then Keihl's ultra facial moisturizer. Also once or twice a week I use the glam glow charcoal exfoliator. I wanted to get some other opinions about which products you guys find work best for comedones and if you think I am missing a step in my routine or maybe have too many steps?? 

Re: Best routines for comedones??

What's your skin type, @jhentz? Right now, you have 3 different products with glycolic acid in your routine. That is A LOT. I would really cut back or your at risk for over-exfoliating, not to mention it's just redundant. Have you tried double cleansing? Using an oil cleanser can really help clean out pores. Then I'd recommend checking out a BHA/salicylic acid exfoliator to replace a couple of your current ones. Are you using sunscreen in the mornings? With all that exfoliation, your skin needs to be protected. Also, you tagged a Clinique toner-- is that the toner you mentioned in your routine? If so, it doesn't have glycolic acid but I'd highly recommend dumping that since it has a lot of irritating ingredients. 

I have oily skin, so I try to stay away from super oily products. This is just my nightly routine. In the morning I just wash my face use a toner apply vitamin C serum and then apply moisturizer and sunscreen. Do you have any good toner recommendations?

@jhentz Oils are actually great at helping to balance out oily skin so you may want to keep those in mind. And since BHA often works better with oily skin than AHAs, I'd recommend switching out your glycolic acid products for something with salicylic acid- the SEPHORA COLLECTION Clarifying Peel Pads 60 Pads would be one option. For toners, I'd recommend trying something hydrating. I prefer Asian toners so let me know if you'd be interested in those options. 

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
testing