From makeovers to personalized skincare consultations

Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin

Best Masks or Serums for Whiteheads/Closed Comedones?

Hi everyone! I have acne-prone skin. I've been on Benzaclin (prescription benzoyl peroxide/antibiotic cream) for a month or so, and it has done WONDERS for my inflamed and cystic acne, but I still have quite a few whiteheads/closed comedones. They're definitely whiteheads/CCs - Small, non-inflamed flesh-coloured bumps, and if I squeeze them (which I try very hard not to) a small string of sebum comes out, not a hard "seed" like it would if they were milia. So far I've only tried First Aid Beauty Skin Resurfacing Liquid (AHA-based), which hasn't really had much of an effect, and Clinique Acne Solutions Clarifying Lotion (BHA-based), which proved to be too drying in combination with the Benzaclin (probably due to the fact that it contains alcohol, I'd guess).

Because of the Benzaclin, I can't use anything with retinol as they cancel each other's effects out. I also try to avoid things that have to be applied at nighttime, as that's when I use the Benzaclin and I don't want to dilute its effects with other products.

Any recommendations for something daytime-wearable, non-retinol-based and alcohol-free that will help these annoying whiteheads? I'd prefer a toner, serum or mask, as I'm currently using a face wash & moisturizer recommended by the pharmacist who prescribed me the Benzaclin. Thank you guys as always!

Re: Best Masks or Serums for Whiteheads/Closed Comedones?

You can use a retinoid with BP. Prescription Epiduo/Tactupump is adapalene (retinoid) and BP. Or use at different times of the day, or allow BP to dry completely then the retinoid. Both can cause dryness, which can be the extra side effect, when used together. BP is more talked about with retinol - i.e. retin-a, tretinoin.

I currently layer niacinamide after retinol.

@R1l3y 

@R1l3y  I don't think any mask would help much with closed comedones to be honest. I came to recommend an acid lotion, but seems like you're already using them. You can scale back to a few times a week until you get used to the strenght of the product.

I am a diehard fan of P50 - they have different variations for different issues. I've tried P50, P50 1970 and P50 pigm 400. The last one is gentle but effective and I use it even on days I use tretinoin.

@R1l3y I am a big fan of the Jeju Volcanic Pore Clay Mask from Innisfree and also the Violet-C Radiance Mask from Tatcha; the Skin Rescue Purifying Mask with Red Clay from First Aid Beauty is a great option too. 

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing