Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Are there any facial oils that dont cause acne?

I have really dry skin and need a moisturizer and oil to avoid dry patches, but Drunk Elephants marula caused me to break out all over my face. It seems like every oil I'm interested in buying cause acne.

Re: Are there any facial oils that dont cause acne?

I would try formulas with Squalane, Jojoba or Rosehip.

I personally avoid coconut oil like the plague, but we're all different and breaks me out might not break you out.

@KarleeCooper I get cystic acne and some other milder breakouts but I'd recommend Biossance Squalane + Tea Tree Balancing Oil 1.01 oz/ 30 mL! I'd never tried a facial oil before I got this in a gratis package from Sephora and I've been trying a bunch of others as well as this since. The tea tree has a lot of the same benefits as CBD for acne prone/irritated/damaged skin. That being said, it does have a strong tea tree smell, I love it but if you aren't into that essential oil smell maybe not for you. It goes on super easy and soaks in super fast.

I've also tried the Herbivore Hemp oil- I got it as a deluxe sample/GWP back in April when the sale was going on. I would say that it absorbs equally quickly and ends up equally dry on my skin so I would say they're pretty similar.

The first ingredient in all three of them (Biossance TT, Emerald Hemp, and Emerald CBD) is squalane, so they'll all probably feel essentially the same. All three have great ingredients for healing skin/helping with acne. On the minus side, all have Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride which is fractionated coconut oil- which can cause acne and skin irritation for some people- which is probably why you're seeing people with complaints. My suggestion(s) before making a purchase would be to 1) see if you can get a sample in store and 2) Check to see if anything you're already using has Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride in it (pretty common ingredient) because if it does and it hasn't been upsetting your skin then all of these are probably good options for you. 

Also just going to throw out, if the fractionated coconut oil is an issue- that's in basically all of DE's stuff, though it isn't in the Marula oil. If it isn't, Accure has a blue tansy oil which is pretty nice and budget friendly

Are there any facial oils that dont cause acne?

I really like the U.F.O. Facial oil from Sunday Riley. I am acne prone and this oil actually helps with my acne cause it has salicylic acid and other natural ingredients in it.

@KarleeCooper Maybe give a CBD or hemp based oil a try. It’s supposed to be anti-inflammatory and can balance sebum production, two things that may reduce acne. I personally haven’t tried any yet, but I’ve been doing a ton of research and from what I can tell, people with acne prone skin have seen great results. Herbivore has both CBD and a hemp oil option, which both seem to be pretty popular. 

I was going to try Herbivores cbd oil, but there was quite a few people saying it caused them to break out... so I don’t know what to do!

@KarleeCooper People react differently to different ingredients, I think you will find every product breaks someone out. Since you know marula oil breaks you out, stay away from products that contain it. Try other oil based products. Also, be sure to incorporate adequate, but not too much, exfoliation in to your routine to keep your pores clear. 

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 9 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing