Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Anyone has horrible purging / breakouts using Drunk Elephant products?

Hello everyone, 

I was wondering if anyone is also experiencing horrible purging / breakouts after start using Drunk Elephant products? I've started using the Drunk Elephant T.L.C Sukari Babyfacial once a week, TLC Farmboos Glycolic Night serum every other night and Vitamin C serum every night for two weeks now, I am having horrible breakouts!! I am not sure which product is causing this massive breakouts? When I apply those products, I didn't feel any tingle, stinging sensation and my skin didn't feel sensitive or red at all, so I don't think it's irritating my skin. I have combination skin with t zone area that's acne prone, now I have big painful pimples on my chin, close to my lips, side of nose ! when some of them are gone, it left a big dark mark on my skin. Anyone experience the same thing after using Drunk Elephant products? I would love to hear your experiences and advice. I am 44 years old, I have not had pimple this frequent since I was in my 20s. sigh... (T__T)

Re: Anyone has horrible purging / breakouts using Drunk Elephant products?

Yes, I have broken out every time I’ve used the Sakura Baby Facial. This time it’s horrible across my chin, my daughter thinks I have chicken pox.  I feel like I’m 14 years old again. 

Anonymous Insider

Omg I started researching if drunk elephant made anyone break out and have found out it has. I got the minis for my birthday or as a free gift and also the Sephora photo finish primer and moisturizer and my face is red with pimples and bumps everywhere. I stopped the drunk elephant products and Sephora for awhile and use the drunk elephant the past so days and I have a million white heads all around my face and bumps, and it’s itchy and burning. I never break out and have reactions but this is on another level  My whole fave is red and bumpy and burning. It’s so bad looking. 😭

Ive never broken out like crazy until i started using Drunk elephant's vitamin c serum, b hyrda, lala retro whipped cream & the new petpaceramyde (green cap). After 2 weeks of laying off using any DE products my skin got better. i hope no else will get sucked into this hype.

@coolcalidude wrote:

Hello everyone, 

I was wondering if anyone is also experiencing horrible purging / breakouts after start using Drunk Elephant products? I've started using the Drunk Elephant T.L.C Sukari Babyfacial once a week, TLC Farmboos Glycolic Night serum every other night and Vitamin C serum every night for two weeks now, I am having horrible breakouts!! I am not sure which product is causing this massive breakouts? When I apply those products, I didn't feel any tingle, stinging sensation and my skin didn't feel sensitive or red at all, so I don't think it's irritating my skin. I have combination skin with t zone area that's acne prone, now I have big painful pimples on my chin, close to my lips, side of nose ! when some of them are gone, it left a big dark mark on my skin. Anyone experience the same thing after using Drunk Elephant products? I would love to hear your experiences and advice. I am 44 years old, I have not had pimple this frequent since I was in my 20s. sigh... (T__T)

@coolcalidude wrote:

Hello everyone, 

RE: Anyone has horrible purging / breakouts using Drunk Elephant products?

The c serum did not like my skin, and I’m not particularly acne prone. Breakouts all over my nose.
Anonymous Insider

I just started using this product and my face is full of pimples. I’m going to the ER because it’s getting worse! I didn’t use anything in my face except this product so I know it’s something in it.

i hope it doesn’t scare my face!

R u seriously going to ER for pimples??????? U r kidding rt? 

DE has not broken out my skin. Please be sure you use the right producta together as some of them were designed to be used together or aa a routine. Also, dont use it everyday. Some arent meant to be used everyday.
Anonymous Insider

Hi there,  I had the same thing happen with the Sukari baby facial.  At 1st I freaked out! I had little whiteheads on my chin and jawline after I used it. I started doing some research and I realized that some of the ingredients in the babyfacial helped Purge your skin to get rid of all of the gunk that is deep in your pores. So I kept with it. I would use the babyfacial on Sunday and then I would start the framboos Tuesday night and I would use it Tuesday night Wednesday night Thursday night Friday night but not Saturday night , then on Sunday I would do the babyfacial again. I used the marula oil morning and night to help with the dryness of my skin. After a couple weeks I noticed that my skin was no longer purging and it looked beautiful! Super smooth super clear just glowed!!! If I were you I wouldn't use the C serum on the nights you use framboos or baby facial. At least not at first. I think it may be too much acidity for your skin. Best of luck!!!!

I recently bought several DE products but started using the Lala Retro Whipped Cream first. Honestly I was looking for a cheaper night cream than The Silk Cream from Tatcha... which is what I was using before. I have a super minimal skin care routine of cleansing, essence, and then a moisturizer, so I don't think bad combinations were to blame for the tingling, redness, and scaly rash I got on top of increased acne after only three days of using this cream. I have sensitive, dehydrated, combination, and acne prone skin these days (I'm 40) so I'm not really looking for anything that makes acne worse or makes my face more uncomfortable. I've since been doing a lot more research watching videos on youtube and have realized that the Marula oil I bought is probably also a bad idea for my skin type. I wish skin care lines would stop claiming that they work for everyone when, clearly, they don't.

My skin reacted horribly to the DE Littles set I bought. Since I was using all products in conjunction (so dumb now that I think about it) I can’t pinpoint what product(s) caused my reaction. I’ve never had acne around my jaw, upper neck, and ear area so I’m leaning more towards an allergic reaction rather than purging. So sorry you are having a similar experience! Sunday Riley, Youth to the People, Farmacy, and Glow Recipe are the brands that agree with my super sensitive/semi acne prone skin.

Re: RE: Anyone has horrible purging / breakouts using Drunk Elephant products?

Hi Sahmed92!

So sorry to hear that! Even my super sensitive skin didn't agree to the DE Tlc serum. I had a burning sensation which lasted for 3 months!! My face was on fire. I didn't use it daily, like 2 or 3 times a week. Maybe I should have tried it just as a mask.

Anyways, could you tell me what products do you use from farmacy, youth to the people and glow recipe for your super sensitive skin and how you use them? Is "youth to the people age prevention cleanser" good enough (if you have tried)? 🙂

Hi! I just came across this and wanted to give some input. I have sensitive, acne-rosacea skin and recently started switching to youth to the people. Both of the moisturizers calmed my skin and only help. I switched to their superfood cleanser a few days ago (I used Murad acne wash for about a year) and only had mild skin purging. Anything that popped up from using youth to the people vanished almost the next day and my skin is soo much healthier. 

Hi there, I am sorry to hear that. Were you using sunscreen during the day?. AHAs, by removing dead skin, help promote collagen production but they reveal the new skin that is underneath, which is more sensitive to the sun. Could that be the cause? I have really sensitive skin with rosacea and DE TLC is the only AHA that has not made my rosacea flare up. I would give it another try

I have this problem with the C serum, and also the Kiehls c serum. I think it's a C serum thing... The glycolic night stuff has the opposite effect - it calms down my perimenopausal breakouts. I got the minis package to try the line - def. going with the glycolic but not the C.

i use a few of the DE products. the Tlc is pretty good i only use it twice a week. i also use the lala moisturiser only when i use TLC or if i exfoliate, otherwise its too much. AND i used the C-firma but it breaks me out like crazy so stopped using it and returned it. Baby facial is fine with my skin too. always try a sample befpre buying full products 

Spoiler
I’ve been using for a few weeks now and every time I use it, I wake up with a breakout - especially on forehead and cheeks (and I’ve never have break outs on my cheeks).  I have only used the TLC and Marula oil.  Glad I only bought the Littles.  

The glycolic night serum doesn’t make me break out, it makes my skin look noticeably better overnight usuall.  when you start using a product like that you should realy start slow.  Like 2-3 times a week.  And you shouldn’t use the vitamin c serum and the glycolic serum together.  I would stop using everything besides the glycolic night serum just a few times a week and see if it clears up.  You should only add one new product at a time when you add something to your routine so you can figure out what product you react to when you have a bad reaction. 

Hey, speaking from my experience the concept of purging is very misunderstood and often used incorrectly.  It is possibly to purge while using tretinoin or other reaurfacing products (aha/bha) However, though frequency and quantity of breakout and signs of irritation ( peeling, drying, redness) might appear, in general the condition of your skin should be trending better within 2-4 weeks.  For example. When I was on tretinoin, i continued to break out and skin got oilier and my pimples continued to be the inflamed nodular cystic type iver the course of 7 months, i don care what anyone says, thats NOT purgin.  Thats simply the medication not working for my skin.  When I tried some other products, my skin reacter BaDly and all thI small comedones became large pus filled mess larger than a dine... three months later I still have a scar.  That was not purging either.... if toy as me.  Now, when I started using drunkelephant framboo TLC, my skin didnt freak out.  i had slightly more clogged pores and more small pimples, but nothing inflammed , and here is the KEY, these breakouts resolved very quickly within days.  To me, that was purging.  Hopefully this helps you decide whats purging and whats your skin hating the product. Good luck

I highly highly HIGHLY recommend the Caudalie skincare line if you had these problems with Drunk Elephant. I experienced the same thing, and a Sephora employee recommended that I try Caudalie instead. It has worked WONDERS on my skin, I couldn't even believe it. It's a clean, more natural brand and great for sensitive skin. They have solutions for all skin types. My favorite products are the brightening essence, the SOS thirst quench serum, the radiance serum, the overnight renewal cream and the mattifying fluid.

I had horrible break out all around my mouth and chin. Cystic acne and all the above. Im still trying to heal. I spent over 500$ to turn hideous. Im at a loss and have no idea what ptoduct to use now.

58 Replies
Conversation Stats
testing