Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Advice on products

Thank you all who helped with my last post, after looking I have found two products that I am debating on. These are OLEHENRIKSEN Balance It All™ Oil Control & Pore-Refining Set  and #Peter Thomas Roth Acne-Clear Essentials 5-Piece Kit.  Please, if you have tried one or both of these tell me how you liked it. Any other recommendations are welcome. Skin conditions and type listed in original post. 

Re: Advice on products

I've tried both sets, @Cai16 and unfortunately can't recommend either one. The OH set was very drying (which caused more oiliness) and I hated the scent. The PTR set made absolutely no difference in my acne but did give me some irritation. 

Re: Advice on products

@Cai16 

I'd actually advise against both of those; many of those products have one or more irritating extracts, added fragrance, witch hazel, or even alcohol, none of which are good for dry/acne-prone/sensitive skin. 

You got recommendations for both CeraVe and Paula's Choice in your last thread, and I'll second both of those brands. Both of them pay close attention to ingredients and put out effective formulations without added fragrance, irritants, and alcohol that many of the big brands add for no good reason.

I'd recommend the following:

Cleanser: CeraVe, either Foaming or Hydrating, or alternate between the two. While marketed for oily skin, the foaming version is the gentlest foaming cleanser I've ever come across, and I don't think it'll be too much for dry skin. The hydrating cleanser is great too; I use it in the mornings for a light cleanse, but it's not quite enough for me at night (my skin leans more normal/oily though).

Cleansers don't have to be fancy and expensive to work, but if you want to stick to Sephora and skip the drugstore, look at Paula's Choice CLEAR Pore Normalizing Acne Cleanser 6 oz/ 177 mL 

Acne treatment: Paula's Choice CLEAR Anti-Redness Exfoliating Solution with 2% Salicylic Acid 4 oz/ 118 mL 

BHA/Salicylic Acid is the best place to start with acne/blackheads, as it's the only oil-soluble acid, which makes it capable of cutting through the gunk in your pores to help clear them from the inside out. PC has the best BHA formulas on the market, hands down.

Moisturizer: another item that doesn't have to be expensive. CeraVe Daily Moisturizing Lotion (or the cream version, if the lotion is too light for you) is fantastic. If you are wanting to stick to items available at Sephora, I'll recommend PC again; the brand has several moisturizers that would work, including one in their Clear line for acne-prone skin. Paula's Choice CLEAR Oil-Free Moisturizer 2 oz/ 60 mL 

If you wind up needing a little extra oomph to clear your acne, consider adding a benzoyl peroxide product to your routine Paula's Choice CLEAR Daily Skin Clearing Treatment with 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide 2.25 oz/ 67 mL 

If you'd rather buy a kit, PC has some options on their direct website!

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing