Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Advice for dry and acne prone

I just started using a prescribed retinol gel (clindamycin + tretinoin) to help clear up mild but persistent acne. I normally have combo skin (normal/oily t-zone and normal/dry cheeks) but since starting the retinol (3 days ago) my cheeks are peeling of because they're so dry. I'm looking for good products to help soothe and hydrate my skin (but not pore-clogging), without any exfoliating acids. I was looking at the Korres Greek Yoghurt cleanser, has anyone tried it? Would it be suitable for me? Thanks!

Re: Advice for dry and acne prone

Cleanser wise, I've heard good things about the Korres. You might also look into PHILOSOPHY - Purity Made Simple Cleanser for a morning cleanser. At night, especially if youre wearing makeup, a non milky cleanser is ideal, the Youth To The People Superfood Gentle Antioxidant Refillable Cleanser 8 oz / 237 ml is non drying and lovely.

You'll want to add a bunch of moisturizing and repairing ingredients to your routine. I'd recommend picking up a hydrating toner (DR. JART+ - Ceramidin™ Liquid), a hydrating serum (Drunk Elephant B-Hydra™ Intensive Hydration Serum with Hyaluronic Acid 1.69 oz/ 50 mL or Skinfix Barrier+ Triple Lipid-Hyaluronate Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL or Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Hyaluronic Marine Hydration Booster or The Ordinary Marine Hyaluronics 1 oz/ 30 mL), a moisturizer with ceramides (Drunk Elephant Lala Retro™ Nourishing Whipped Refillable Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mL  or DR. JART+ - Ceramidin™ Cream) and a face oil for the morning (try something with squalane). For the evening maybe a hydrating face or sheet mask (I'm still on the hunt for my favorite, but these were recommended me, ORIGINS - Drink Up™ 10 Minute Hydrating Mask with Apricot & Swiss Glacier Water, Clarins SOS Hydra Refreshing Hydration Mask 2.3 oz/ 75 mL or Caudalie Moisturizing Mask 2.5 oz/ 75 mL), a night moisturizer (the FRESH - Lotus Anti-Aging Night Moisturizer is nice of you can get over the scent), and a sleeping mask (Origins Drink Up™ Intensive Overnight Hydrating Face Mask with Avocado & Swiss Glacier Water 2.5 oz/ 75 mL or SUMMER FRIDAYS - Jet Lag Mask).

I know you don't want any chemical exfoliatants, and I think it's a good idea to stay away while your skin gets used to your retinoid, you might want to consider something like the Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant Refillable Exfoliator 2.6 oz/ 74g, it is a chemical exfoliator, but you wash it off. Or maybe the TATCHA - The Rice Polish Foaming Enzyme Powder. If you want a non chemical one, the PHILOSOPHY - The Microdelivery Exfoliating Facial Wash is gentle.

As always, please discuss with your derm, if you can even digitally. Wait at least 2 weeks between incorporating each new product. If using a chemical exfoliator start slow (once a week). Good luck, @louannerioux!!

Re: Advice for dry and acne prone

I use Neutrogena's Hydro Boost Gel-Cream Moisturizer, and it really helps to fight dryness/flakiness/peeling! I typically use it on the outer parts of my cheeks, chin and lip area, and forehead while avoiding my nose and the area around it. I wouldn't use it on the oilier parts of your skin, as I've found it can create excess oil.

I've tried the Dr. Dennis Gross Hyaluronic Marine Oil-Free Moisture Cushion as well, and while I really liked it (and loved the fragrance!), I thought it was a little too pricey for what it actually does. 

Hope that's helpful! 

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing