Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Adult Acne...

I didn't have acne as a teenager, a few pimples here and there. 

Now I'm in my 20s and am struggling with acne (fml)

I have tons of scars now and I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for products that will reduce the appearance of these scars. 

Or any preventative measures!

Re: Adult Acne...

I highly recommend looking at your diet. Do you tend to breakout more after eating certain types of food? I cut out all gluten and it has done wonders for my skin.

I agree that Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta peels are amazing for acne prone skin. Also, I use iS Clinical Active Serum which has really improved my acne/scarring. 

I recently got a 250 point reward from OleHenrickson and the invigorating night transformation gel has really helped fade my scars. 

And sunscreen every day is a must or you will just make the spots darker and harder to get rid of!!

The only thing that has helped me is Curology. As for the scars, they have been disappearing with the ccurrent prescription and using their recommendation of sun protection. Looking back at pictures I can believe that I finally found something that works. I had given up. It was my last resort before going to the dermatologist. 

Dr Gross Peels are awesome for adult acne management in general and reduction of scars.  I like the alpha beta peel and throw in the ferulic and retinal ones occasionally.  It says you can use the alpha beta peels daily but I find this far too often. (Especially if you're already on something for acne like a wash or a topical).  PLUS as thirty somethings they help w exfoliatiatiin and skin turnover making you look younger. Win win. 

Anonymous Insider

if you want to reduce the appearance of the scars,  you can try Bio-Oil. It's my favourite product to reduce literally any scars both on my face and body.

I have the same problem. I had a MAJOR breakout a few months ago and I'm Peter Thomas Roth Camu Camu Power Sleeping Mask and Bio Oil have made a HUGE difference on my acne scars. Good luck! 

Hi Cassie,

If you have a chance to visit your dermatologist or primary care physician they can probably help you. My personal experience was that I only got my adult acne under control after prescription strenght medication (tretinoin+clindamycin). Before that I tried everything under the sun and spirolactone.

I would focus on getting the acne under control first prior to investing in products(specially if they are expensive) for the scars. I do like vit c serums to help with the pink/red acne marks, it really helps.

Benzoyl peroxide really helps a few people and getting some salycilic acid peel pads (first aid beauty has them!) can also help a lot! Fish oil also helped me and I felt that when I got new pimples they were way less inflamed after being on fish oil.

Identifying when you are getting new pimples is also important. Could it be related to your hormones(are you getting acne around 1 week b4 your period) or food?

When you say scars are you talking about PIH (pigmentation pink/red/brown/purple) or actual scars (box car, ice-pick)? 

The best advice I can give you is do not pick your pimples (easier said then done), but the worst PIH marks I've got were from the pimples I picked on. 

Fish oil also helped me and I felt that when I got new pimples they were way less inflamed after being on it.

I agree with this 100%.

Hi @cassietea

Skin can change over the time pretty suddenly, which happened to me, so I feel the struggle! 

I'd definitely look for products that are going to brighten the skin and address uneven skintone. Murad Post-Acne Spot Lightening Gel, Peter Thomas Roth Camu Camu Power C x 30™ Vitamin C Brightening Serum, and KORRES
Wild Rose Vitamin C Active Brightening Oil are great products to look into for addressing the scars. 

One of the best ways to help prevent acne is making sure you cleanse well too. Kate Somerville
EradiKate® Daily Cleanser Acne Treatment contains sulfur that's really going to go deep and address acne. I recently started using it and I love how clean my skin feels afterwards. 

XOXO,
Marieke
8 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 7 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing