Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Acne while on birth control?

I’ve been on the combination birth control pill for a year now, but honestly my acne has just gotten worse over the past month. It’s mostly on my chin and lower cheeks.

I take the pill daily, same time and have been ever since I started. I have no idea why this could be happening since BC is supposed to help with acne. 

has this happened to anyone else? 

Re: Acne while on birth control?

Also, I learned a hard lesson I wanted to share, too! Simplify your skin care routine- drastically. That also helped me massively. I used to be obsessed with skin care, trying new products, and having a lengthy routine and I was only frustrating my skin more despite using 'luxury', 'reccoemended'  and 'top rated' products. I simply use a face wash once a day, one acne 'treatment' whether that be my prescription or niacinamide and a moisturizer. If I have a new pimple pop up, I use a spot treatment but stop there. Doing this improved my hormonal acne on my lower face a lot, too and reduced the redness of my acne spots and overall skin as well because I wasn't loading up and in turn agitating my face with products. 

Once again, I hope this helps in some way or at least gives you comfort knowing that I too experienced what you are now. Best of luck and be well! ❤️ 

Hey Julia! Before starting birth control I had hormonal acne. After starting, I felt the same way you are currently feeling. What helped me is speaking to my birth control provided specifically about finding a birth control that can ASSIT with my once hormonal acne turned 'out of control' after starting. Switching to a new BC helped me tame my acne issues a lot at first, and altering being on it for a while I feel like I finally am not my acne because the majority of it has vanished besides a sudden pimple here and there every once in a while due to stress and diet. I would definitely recommend bringing this up at an appointment. My BC prescriber also prescribed me a prescription acne gel when switching to the new birth control- clindamycin. Of course that gel may not be right for you depending on your acne issues and causes, but I found that biting the bullet and just asking my provider for a birth control that was known to help with acne opposed to hurt helped, on top of a prescription to fight the acne as well. It was convent (and less expensive) not having to see a dermatologist separately. Something I didn't know my regular provider could even prescribe!  I hope it gets better and you find something that makes you feel more in control! ❤️ 

I’ve already had acne prone skin for awhile but I also feel like I’ve just been constantly breaking out on birth control too! I feel like I’m always getting a new breakout 

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing