cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Acne scars

WHAT CAN HELP WITH ACNE SCARS?

i have had acne for years and it has calmed down but I still have scars and nothing helps to get rid of it, my scars are just red sos there something that can help me?

Re: Acne scars

@evelynkenny There are different things that can triggers acne problem, I found an article and got most of the idea from --- so far it has helped me.

@evelynkenny  What kind of acne scars do you have? Are they depressed (look like holes in your skin) or raised? Or, do you just have flat dark or red marks left behind by acne (post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation)? 

What products have you already tried to reduce or remove your acne scars? 

Also, have you seen a board certified dermatologist or your primary care doctor about your scars? If you can see a doctor, that's my first recommendation. Different ingredients and techniques work well for different types of acne scars. A doc can properly diagnose your skin and provide personalized treatment options. 

If you have active acne or a skin condition like rosacea or eczema, I don't recommend trying at-home microdermabrasion. It can do more damage to your skin. Plus, at-home microdermabrasion tools aren't nearly as effective as the in-office/clinic tools used by dermatologists and medical estheticians—and those folks know how to do this service in a very safe and controlled manner, vs. the average at-home skincare enthusiast. If you really want to try microdermabrasion, please consult a dermatologist first. 

Scarring is pretty deep and it’s going to take time and a lot exfoliation. Unfortunately for some reason the Clarisonic is discontinued but that would be a great start and next suggestion would be micro dermabrasion, and if you plan on using those often you can buy a personal home machine now that works excellent for less than $200 I bought one after I’ve been spending $150 for one single treatment at a cosmetic spa.  

Hey! Like the other comments an exfoliate and vitamin C will help tremendously! 

Kate Somerville has an EradiKate Acne Mark Fading Gel that fades acne marks in as fast as 3 days. I’ve used this and I did visibly notice a difference in a couple of days. The great thing is that it feels really hydrating so I loved putting it on!

Another product you could try is the Tula sensitive skin treatment drops. This has vitamin B which will help calm redness and smooth the skin. 

Definitely give them a try!!

Incorporate AHA/BHA as someone mentioned before. Paula’s choice 2% BHA liquid exfoliant is my favorite. A great lactic acid serum from biossance but it is kinda pricey. The ordinary lactic acid and hyalauronic acid is what I used before I switched to biossance. You don’t need to use these products every day. But they are better used at night. 

Get a retinoid. Use those at night as well. A great option is the ordinary granactive retinoid 2% emulsion. I also like YTTP retinoid. This will help with cell turnover and improves signs of aging as well as acne and acne scars.

A vitamin C serum is also a must. Helps to brighten and even skin tone. Biossance has a great one. I also use some K beauty ones that are more affordable. In addition, Korres sells a great vitamin c sleeping mask that you can use at the end of your nightly routine.

Niacinimide helps even skin tone as well as regulate oil production. You can get the ordinary one. Just keep in mind that it can pull with too much rubbing on the skin or using the wrong products.

Alternate nights that you use AHAS and retinoid. Don’t use them in the same night. After cleansing and prepping skin, the order should be 

-AHA or retinoid

-niacinimide (optional at night. I prefer to use mine during my morning routine)

-moisturizer (if you use a moisturizer with niacinimide in it you can knock out two birds)

-vitamin c (oil or sleeping mask. Should be the final step because of the oil suspension. If you use oils before anything water based, the water based products will not absorb into the skin.) also I like to pat the vitamin c oil into my skin if I’m using it with the niacinimide to avoid the pilling.

Microdermabrasions 

Depending on what the rest of your skincare routine is, @evelynkenny I would suggest adding in a good vitamin C (ascorbic acid) serum in the morning. Vitamin C can really help with healing discolorations left over from acne. 

Exfoliation and products with AHA/BHA will help immensely. Note: Your skin dose a natural skin cycle turnover ever 30 days  (from puberty to about 28)  and then every 60 days ( from 29 yrs of age and up). With that being said you want to make sure to exfoliate to help remove build up that can then cause clogged pores, black heads/white heads, more oils on face and brake out. By removing this dead layer of skin cells your scars in time will look less visible plus your skin will start to feel smoother. If you have a moment take a look at these either Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Extra Strength Formula or the Alpha Beta Ultra Gentle Peel Pad. Both help keep skin looking smooth, bright, acne free and minimizes fine lines. I personally have used them for acne scars and I love my results! Hope this helps. 

8 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 8 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors
testing