Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Acne scars!

Hey everyone! So I just started taking tetracycline for my skin (an antibiotic) and I'm hoping it helps my spots, but I've also been struggling with acne scars for the last year, the same ones never go away! Any product recommendations to help scarring?

Re: Acne scars!

Using the photo that you included as well as the information provided about what you should avoid, I would recommend using the DRUNK ELEPHANT - T.L.C. Framboos™ Glycolic Night Serum. I have recently become addicted to this product as it helps eliminate new breakouts / acne while also fading previous scarring. The serum helps to resurface skin as it has a high percentage (12%) of AHA and BHA. You only need to use this guy once every 2-3 nights, and although it is a bit pricier, it is WORTH IT. There is also no consequential dryness, skin irritation, or weird reaction with other skincare products, which is an added bonus 🙂

Hi @lablax. I've found that acid exfoliation can greatly help reduce acne scars. I still have acne scars and they've been reduced significantly once I started incorporating chemical exfoliation into my routine. I'm currently using the tarte Knockout Tingle Treatment Toner 5 oz/ 150 mL, and I use the Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Sukari Babyfacial™ AHA + BHA Mask 1.69 oz/ 50 mL weekly as a mask. Facial oils can also help moisturize the skin and reduce scarring. I use the Herbivore Lapis Blue Tansy Face Oil - For Oily & Acne-Prone Skin 1.7 oz/ 50 mL as my morning moisturizer and the Clarins Lotus Balancing & Hydrating Face Treatment Oil 1 oz as my night time moisturizer. Also, especially since you're taking an antibiotic for your skin, it's extremely important to use an SPF. I love the VOLITION BEAUTY - Prismatic Luminizing Shield SPF 50. SPF will protect your skin and prevent existing acne scars from getting darker. This is the only SPF that I've found that doesn't break me out. It has a wonderful texture, is non-greasy, and doesn't have an offensive scent. It also works fabulously as a base for your makeup. Hope this helps, let me know if you have an further questions! 

Wow! Thank you for all the product recommendations, I'll be sure to try some of them out!

@lablaxUnidentified What type of spots/scars do you have? Also wear spf daily. Antibiotics can cause sun sensitivity and marks can get darker.

Since your doc said no dairy, that's most likely for the absorbtion of the antibiotic, dairy can cause interference, but that's just for taking the pill. Usually just a few hours before and after avoid dairy. Check the write up that came with the pills.

If you have cysts, typically around the chin, dairy due to excess hormones can heighten your hormones which can be a cause of cysts.

My marks are always red/pink, I have way more scarring than acne, here's a picture of my skin at it's worst:

IMG_5047.JPG

Firstly I would be careful with what ingredients you can use with the antibiotic and run anything new by your doctor. Ingredients like Vitamin C and AHA's can help cell turnover and therefore acne scars, but it is a slow process. I would also be careful to keep the areas where you have acne moisturized as a lot of acne fighting products can be drying. @lablax

I've talked to my doctor and the only thing I should steer clear from is dairy, but I'll definitely talk to him about any new products! Thank you!!

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 9 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
Photos1
  • IMG_5047.JPG
testing