Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Acne-Prone Skin

Acne-prone skin that is both oily AND dry?

Hello!

Growing up, I never had terrible skin. I had the occasional blemish, but I never considered my skin to be "acne-prone". However, as I turned 19, my skin obviously started changing (probably due to hormones and the works), so I now have the following skin type: acne-prone, and it is both oily in the T-zone area and dry on my cheeks. To make matters worse, I also have body acne on my arms. Smiley Sad

That being said, what sort of cleansers/moisturizers should I be looking for to help both my face and my body clear up from pesky pimples? Should I invest in a Clarisonic to help my skin clear up? So many questions, so little time.

The "acne" on your arms is probably actually a skin condi...

The "acne" on your arms is probably actually a skin condition called KP (Keratosis Pilaris). I have it on my arms and legs. Basically keratin gets trapped in the hair follicles, causing red or white bumps. If the bumps on your arms are itchy sometimes, or if you've tried to pop them but it doesn't work and it's painful, then it's most likely KP. If so, gently exfoliating a couple times a week is helpful and it's crucial to moisturize the area every single day, especially at night. Dermadoctor makes some products that are meant to treat KP but I don't personally use them. 

I've had a similar skin type to yours and I just invested...

I've had a similar skin type to yours and I just invested in the new Clarisonic targeted at acne. It has done a lot for my skin in two days. The interesting part is that I had been using the same skincare products for over a year and it never yielded results that were consistent. However, I've been battling acne for over 10 years, so I don't think you should give in to the Clarisonic just yet if your acne is pretty recent. Invest in a skincare routine, either from Murad or Philosophy or any other known acne kit, but be sure to do your research on what ingredients your skin can tolerate. My skin could never tolerate benzoyl peroxide, so I always avoided products with that ingredient. Other ingredients to look for in an acne product is glycolic acid or salicylic acid. I hope this helps and good luck!

Hello there (: I have suffered from acne all my life. I h...

Hello there (: I have suffered from acne all my life. I have the oilest skin and I still get acne, note I'm 22 years old.

What I have found to truly work is to have a skin regime. Do you have use a cleanser, toner, serum, moisturizer, and sunscreen? Ever since I started doing this, my skin looks better and healthier. I love Shiesedo's Purness Line, Clarin's Green Linem or Mario Badescu acne line for acne prone skin.

As for the clarisonic, I have it, and it's good to cleanse with it a couple times a week, note it does dry out the skin.

As for a spot treatment, try Mario Badescu's Spot Treatment which is similiar to Kate Somerville's.

And use a mask for acne too a couple times a week (:

Also try changing your diet. Eat more veggies and fruits, you will notice the difference in your skin.

Re: Hello there (: I have suffered from acne all my life. I h...

I agree with you. You have to have a skin care regime that includes cleansing, toning and most importantly moisturizing. I also have to agree with you 100% that eating more veggies and fruit (and plenty of water) will help your skin also. Veggies with plenty of vitamin E is what you need for your skin.

Hi there! In my opinion, a clarisonic is great when it co...

Hi there!

In my opinion, a clarisonic is great when it comes to cleansing and getting deep down into the pores of our skin to get all bacteria out however, it's NOT absolutely necessary to invest in a clarisonic if you have the right cleansing, moisturizing, and treatment regime. 

I would first look to invest in the RIGHT products, see how they work, afterwards I would look into a clarisonic if I wanted to maximize my benefits of promoting healthy skin.

I have acne-prone skin myself and the cleanser i like to use is called TRISAN. This is sold in pharmacies and it's basically a super-moisturizing cleanser that kills bacteria that cause acne and DOESN'T leave the skin dehydrated like some cleansers do. (You can use this cleanser on your face and body)

Next, the moisturizer I LOVE is called CETAPHIL and it has spf 15 in it. I love it because it's oil-free, doesn't cause breakouts, doesn't contain fragrance, and is mild to my sensitive skin.

Lastly I like to treat my pimples locally with Kate Somervilles Eradikate treatment

kate somerville.jpg

For this, you simply dip a cotton swab all the way to the end and then locally apply to your pimples. I love this, I use it overnight and by the next day my pimple is gone. Also it contains sulfur as its active ingredient and therefore doesn't irritate the skin as other ingredients do like salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide.

Hope my suggestions help! Smiley Happy

xox

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
Photos1
  • kate somerville.jpg