Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Acne/Oil Control Moisturizer vs. Hydrating Moisturizer

Hello everyone!! I recently joined this community because I had a question. For the past 5 years, I've been struggling with acne and excessive oil all over my face (I'm 18 now). Since then, I've tried various topical treatments (both OTC and prescription) and masks to no avail. Within the past month, my acne had gotten significantly worse, to the point where I've started taking antibiotics for my acne. I've been wanting to change my moisturizer because after I put my moisturizer on in the mornings, my skin still feels dehydrated. So far, my skin care regiment is as follows:

-Oil cleanse with Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Botanical Cleansing Oil

-Regular cleanse with an oil free 2.5% benzoyl peroxide cleanser

-Tone with Kiehl's Ultra Facial Oil-Free Toner

-Moisturize with Neutrogena Ultra-Calming daily moisturizer

I've been looking at the Murad Skin Perfecting Lotion, which I've heard could do wonders for oily, acne-prone skin. I was wondering if I should use this product as a night moisturizer and continue using my Neutrogena moisturizer, or if I should use a moisturizer that focuses solely on hydration, rather than acne/oil control. And if it is the latter, could you recommend some that are sub $60? (I'm a broke student who just wants clear skin 😞 )

Thanks so much!!

Re: Acne/Oil Control Moisturizer vs. Hydrating Moisturizer

@cat922 Use the BP cleanser less often, it's drying out your skin.

Which antibiotic and how long are you supposed to be on it?

Did your doctor prescribe a topical? When I did an antibiotic course, also used Differin or Aczone, Epiduo etc, so when I got off the antibiotic skin was adjusted to a topical. However, wouldn't use BP with those, interactions/excess drying.

Been using niacinamide layered after Differin and in a.m. then hydrating serum. Cleanser and moisturizer from La Roche Posay. Could use a facial oil at night.

The Ordinary has The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL

Hi @TrysBeautyItems!!

I started taking Doxyclycline Monohydrate a couple weeks ago, and I'm supposed to do it for 2 months. I've tried differin in the past, but it didn't have any results, so I got switched to Retin-A, which I use every other day. Thank you so much for letting me know that BP is drying out my skin! I'll try to switch out my cleanser to something more mild. I've also heard a lot of hype around the Sunday Riley UFO facial serum - have you by any chance tried it out?

Thank you so much for your help! 🙂

@cat922 Make sure to use standalone spf daily. Doxy can cause sun sensitivity, same with BP and retinol. Since retinol can be drying as well, use more hydrating products.

Also eat a meal with doxy and don't lay down afterwards, easier to take in the a.m. It can be hard on the stomach.

I haven't used Sunday Riley. My oil is Acure seriously soothing. Neutrogena hydro boost serum, or another, can be layered as well.

@cat922   Those are great products you are using!  If your skin still feels dehydrated after moisturizing, it's possible that the product/s are too strong for your skin.

The Ordinary is a very popular, reasonably priced brand that Sephora carries.  You can get the skincare routine described below for $32.80. 🙂

The Ordinary has a regimen guide on their website, which is really helpful.  For acne, they recommend using the Niacinamide 10%+Zinc 1% in the morning after cleansing, and use both the Niacinamide and the Salicylic Acid 2% Solution in the evening after cleansing.

For moisture, their 100% Plant-Derived Squalane can be used after those two products in the evening.  It's very gentle and a very effective moisturizing oil.

Their recommended daytime moisturizer is the Natural Moisturizing Factor + HA.

https://www.sephora.com/product/the-ordinary-deciem-natural-moisturizing-factors-ha-P427414?icid2=pr...

I wonder if the benzoyl peroxide cleanser may be a little rough on your skin.  The Ordinary has a Squalane Cleanser that is recommended for your sensitive skin. 

https://www.sephora.com/product/the-ordinary-squalane-cleanser-P444718?icid2=products%20grid:p444718

https://www.sephora.com/product/the-ordinary-deciem-salicylic-acid-2-solution-P427407?icid2=products...

https://www.sephora.com/product/the-ordinary-deciem-niacinamide-10-zinc-1-P427417?icid2=products%20g...

https://www.sephora.com/product/100-plant-derived-squalane-P442830?icid2=products%20grid:p442830

Hello @Ispend2much6!!

I've never really looked into The Ordinary, which I'm regretting now because it works for so many people and it's affordable! I'm definitely going to try the Niacinamide and Zinc and the Squalane Cleanser. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to collect all of this information for me!! I hope you have a great day. 🙂

@cat922   You're very welcome, and I hope you enjoy your new products!

Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing