Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Acne-Prone Skin

Acne Investigation Diary!

Hey folks, I thought I would start an "acne diary" here reporting on my observations and experiences trying to get rid of acne.  I hate those days (which sometimes stretch into weeks) when my face feels like a battleground full of acne and post-acne marks and I either feel bad when I look into the mirror or spend way too long messing with concealers/foundation before going out.  

We've had so many posts here about what products to use to combat acne, but fewer posts about the actual causes of acne.  I think this is because it's so different from person to person, and also unless you have the patience of a saint it's really difficult to force yourself through the intensive trial and error needed to figure out WHAT is causing your breakouts.  And even then, it might be due to vague causes like "stress" or "environmental irritants" that you have no control over.

I'll try to update once a week or so, to report on what I'm currently adding (or removing) from my routine and what the results are.  I would also love to hear other people's personal experiences and maybe we can all learn from each other.

EDIT Apr 28:  Here's the new motto for those of us trying to isolate ingredients at the root of our skin problems:

So what do you do when your skin is freaking out and you don't know which product is causing the issue? "Quit everything cold turkey," advises Dr. Chapas. "Makeup, moisturizer, sunscreen—stop everything you're using. Try to use a mild topical hydrocortisone on the skin until your reaction goes down. Start adding products in slowly and use mild, fragrance-free formulas. Eventually, you'll find out what's offending your skin. If your skin continues to react, see a dermatologist."

thanks to krunce (is that pronounced "crunchy"?) for pointing me to the Victoria Stanell Beauty Myths article on beautylish!

Re: Acne Investigation Diary!

hahahahahaha!  that's awesome!  

I had a lot of success with the Kate Somerville toner also. When I ran out I decided to try the OH pick me up tonic and cannot wait to finish it off so I can go back to Kate Somerville. 

Hi dannyc, what did you like most about that toner?

It's non drying, is alcohol free, has witch hazel to help those hormonal breakouts, and I saw my post acne marks healing a lot quicker. It didn't leave my skin feeling tight, and did a good job at removing any left over traces of makeup. I was thinking of getting the FAB pads for post workout sweat clean-up, but @triciaann12 reminded me how much I loved the Kate Summerville toner, I might just use that instead of a pad that's overly drying. 

@drrragon, this is really interesting (lots of great advice and I'm glad you're starting to see an improvement). Just curious (not meaning to pry), have you made any changes to your diet or can you describe your typical meals (what you look for/ avoid/ supplement with, etc)? I've never suffered from acne, but I am a firm believer that what we eat can really contribute to the health of our skin (since we are literally made up of what we eat). I make a smoothie every day which includes spirulina and coconut oil (and also take a supplement which includes a perfect balance of essential fatty acids), all of which promote healthy skin.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences/ trial and error with us!

hi makeupmaven,  thanks for your comments!  my diet has been pretty much the same for years and hasn't changed.  I'm an omnivore and not particularly picky about organic, vegetarian, or whatever.  However, it's definitely possible I have some hormonal changes going on, as I saw a doctor a month ago who prescribed me medication for hypothyroidism.  we'll see how that goes....

My friend broke out from her hypothyroidism medication during the first month, but it went away...guess her skin got used to it.

Its definitely a possibility

hopefully that's the case for me as well!

Highlighted

I'm also a firm believer that good nutrition plays a huge role in general, overall well-being.  I try to eat really healthy, and I definitely notice how it impacts my energy, mental state, and overall physical well-being.  Although, I'm doubtful that nutrition plays a significant role in acne.  I think good nutrition can promote healthy skin and hair, but I think the causes of acne and oily skin specifically, are ultimately rooted in other things- hormones, stress, genetics, etc.

Coconut oil is really great.  I use it for baking and such.  I also started using it as an experimental topical treatment on my cat, since he has a weird itchy dermatitis that is only localized to the bottoms of his back feet (I'm a vet).  I just started using it, so I can't be sure if there is improvement yet.

how cool that we have a vet on BT! Smiley Very Happy

1 Reply
Conversation Stats