Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Acne-Prone Skin

Accutane and psychological effects?

I know there's been prior posts about Accutane, but I was just wondering if anyone else has any additional insight.  I have oily skin, oily hair, acne-prone skin, etc.  It's gotten much worse actually since I stopped the birth control pill and got the Paraguard IUD (no hormones).  I was hoping it would improve my skin (for some women it does since the hormonal component can worsen acne), but unfortunately for me it seems the extra hormones help my skin.  So I started taking the pill again.  But my dermatologist insists that Accutane is a miracle drug and can clear up acne and oil for good.  My concern of course are the side effects- particularly the psychological ones since I have depression & anxiety.  I could possibly endure the side effects for the duration of the treatment, but I worry that the Accutane will cause long-lasting effects after I stop taking it.  Of course it's impossible to predict if Accutane will cause permanent damage for me, but I'm curious to hear others' experiences, especially if you have a history of mental health conditions.

Re: Accutane and psychological effects?

I used accutane when I was in high school. My acne hasn't been as bad since. But In the last two years my acne has started to get worse.  I am on birth control and in graduate school so I think stress and extra horrmones might be affecting my skin. But I am getting back and chest acne for the first time ever and i definitely get acne all over my face still.  I think accutane is more of a temporary thing.  Overall it helped a lot but I still get acne.

I used accutane when I was in high school. My acne hasn't been as bad since. But In the last two years my acne has started to get worse.  I am on birth control and in graduate school so I think stress and extra horrmones might be affecting my skin. But I am getting back and chest acne for the first time ever and i definitely get acne all over my face still.  I think accutane is more of a temporary thing.  Overall it helped a lot but I still get acne.

also keep in mind, you cannot donate blood, and it can potentially create birth defects

I had been taking birth control for 5 years, and 6 months ago I decided to get an IUD (non-hormonal) to see if that would clear up my chronic acne.  It actually made it much worse, and now I have cystic acne and back acne I didn't have before.  So it's interesting, because the extra hormones clear up acne for some people or make it worse for others.  It's impossible to predict what will happen to each individual person.  I started taking the pill again a couple months ago, and my acne has improved somewhat but not completely (still get cysts).  

I took Accutane when I was around 16 years old (I'm 24 now) because I had bad acne (both cystic and whiteheads) and nothing else seemed to work. Unfortunatley, neither did the Accutane and I was on it close to the maximum time you're supposed to be on it. It can be the miracle drug for some people (it worked wonders for my sister), but it's not always the case. Honestly, it's a lot of trial and error of finding out what works for your skin. If you're concerned about the psychological side, try it for a month or two, and if you feel fine, keep going. Take it month to month.

I have pretty bad anxiety and Accutane's only side effect for me was that I would get dry lips and dry skin, but as long as you put Vaseline on your face at night, you can avoid that.

It is a miracle drug.

I canceled my appointment to start the Accutane (mainly because I'm concerned about the potential psychological and hair loss side effects). My doctor prescribed me the antibiotic Doxycycline, so we'll see what happens with that.  

Conversation Stats