Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

AM Acne Treatment?

I'm looking for a product during the day to use on my whitehead breakouts that's budget friendly if possible.

I've been trying The INKEY List Beta Hydroxy Acid 1 oz/ 30 mL but it doesn't seem to help much at all.

During the night I use Mario Badescu Drying Lotion and it really helps bring the whiteheads to the surface and dry them out. But since it's tinted pink I don't like to use it when I'm going out or to work.

I've tried Benzoyl Peroxide in the past and get VERY BAD allergic reactions to it.

Re: AM Acne Treatment?

@raphaela12 , in addition to the treatments named, also consider acne dots.  Cosrx, peace out, zitsticka, mighty patch are a few brands. 

I also use Tula's acne go away spot treatment, it's benzoyl peroxide, and sometimes cover it with a dot.  I get the ones that are marketed as "invisible" for the day.  I think the Peace Out version has salicylic acid in them.

Peace Out Salicylic Acid Acne Day Dots 

Thank you @danielledanielle I've been contemplating acne dots for a long time, def something I can look into!

I looked up the CosrX ones and they have Hydrocolloid in them which is very interesting to me, as I pick at my acne scabs A LOT... Highly considering getting those for that reason alone.

The la roche posay effeclar duo is my go to for spot treatment. It does have benzoyl peroxide in it but I don’t find this one to be too drying. Another great ingredient is salicylic acid! I use the skinsceuticals blemish defense serum but I believe the ordinary makes a similar product. I think it works great during the day and in conjunction with a good overnight pimple patch at night. Hope this helps @raphaela12 

@allieps Thanks for the suggestions!

I've had such bad experience with benzoyl peroxide in the past that I don't want to take a chance, even if it's a small amount.

I think you might be thinking of this? The INKEY List Succinic Acid Acne Treatment 0.5 oz/ 15 mL , The Ordinary only has The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Exfoliating Acne Solution 1 oz / 30 mL 

@raphaela12 the inkey list one looks nice ingredient wise as long as you don’t have a sulfa allergy. I’d recommend the ordinary one over it. 2% salicylic acid is the highest concentration you can get so it will pack a good punch. Serums are nice and light weight which is nice for daytime use. They layer well under other products and makeup. 

@allieps I'm not sure, I've never tried that before, I'd have to try it and see.

Also I have been using The INKEY List Beta Hydroxy Acid 1 oz/ 30 mL which has 2% SA in it and it's not been doing much for me. Maybe since it also has HA and Zinc it it, it's not as strong as just straight up 2% SA?

I would try switching to a different BHA if the Inkey List one isn't working for you, @raphaela12. If you want an all-over treatment, I'd consider Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant , SEPHORA COLLECTION Clarifying Peel Pads 60 Pads , or CosRx BHA Blackhead Power Liquid. 

@quspork Thanks for the reply!

About how long does the 4 oz/ 118 mL bottle of Paula's Choice BHA Exfoliant last if you use it 2 times a day? The peel pads would last 30 days if you use it 2 times a day so just trying to figure out what the cost difference is.

Would The INKEY List Polyhydroxy Acid (PHA) Gentle Exfoliating Toner 3.4 oz/ 100 mL also work as it's more on the budget friendly side? 

PHAs are a gentle exfoliant, but BHA is typically better with breakouts, @raphaela12. I'm sorry I can't remember how long the PC lasted me the last time I purchased it because it's been a while, but with either of the above, I wouldn't use it twice a day. Usually three times a week (or so, depending on your skin) is sufficient. At the most, I would do once a day. 

@quspork I realized that after I probably shouldn't be using it 2 times a day, even though the SEPHORA COLLECTION Clarifying Peel Pads 60 Pads say you can use morning and/or night. 

For a couple days in a row I was using the Elf SuperGlow AHA Peel Pads morning and night, since there was like no proper use instructions on it. Luckily nothing bad happened but I've switched to only using it once a day in my PM routine. 😬

10 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 9 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing