Color IQ

DTalksAll

Color IQ

So who has tried the color IQ in stores & on-line? 

http://www.sephora.com/IQ/color/

I heard people going into multiple stores & getting a different reading each time. 

I just tried the on-line tool with a light neutral undertone shade & all my results were medium with pink or yellow undertones. I also don't understand why I only get a few results and then try another foundation and get different product results. Like if I plugged in a tinted moisturizer shade I wouldn't get any powder product results even though that's what I'm looking for. 

Maybe if we post our results, they can somehow fix/improve it. 

So please... Share your results. 

DTalksAll

Re: Color IQ

(0) Hearts

I find it easier to match with foundations I already own/have tried and then read the descriptions for undertones. I think I can figure out my matches on-line now. For an Hourglass I thought I'd be Natural even though it looked a little too dark. I was going to order it on-line, but ended up going to a store for something else. Sure enough Natural was my match. But according to my color IQ, I'd be a lot darker than that. 

starletta8

One of the most difficult things for me is that Sephora barely carries my HG color- Bobbi Brown Alabaster.  Sorry, no, I don't want the next shade darker.

I was able to use the tool today to confirm what I suspected- that the new Marc Jacobs gel foundation is a terrific match.

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

Oh that's great you found a match for the Marc Jacobs! I know you struggle with light shades. Have you gone to a store to get matched? Just curious if it's way darker like it is for some of us :smileysad: 

starletta8

I did go to a store for the color IQ when it first rolled out. I was admittedly the guinea pig for my local SiJCP (I have many stores near me, but the staff at my local SiJCP is nicer than all of the rest combined).  The match was way dark and pink.

alphakatt

(0) Hearts

dannyc- I get what you mean. My result was the 4Y06 and I am dumfounded as to why there are only 12 matches listed. I thought this was supposed to match to every brand. Not just certain ones for whatever reason. I will say though on the BM Original MIneral Foundation match I was amazed. I normally would buy Medium Beige but hve now swtiched to Golden Medium and like it ALOT better. I may on occassion use the other but thought that was ok. I want to see the matches for say: Clinique, UD, Smashbox, Josie Maran, etc... but nothing is listed on the site. I am so confused by this...

sarinalove

(0) Hearts

Mine was pretty accurate. At first I thought it was too dark of a reading but after trying the options and blendng it, I noticed it was pretty spot on. 

I think it helps if you go in with zero makeup. Its most accurate. I went for a second reading but I just got out of the gym and was feeling hot and flushed so my reading was wa

cd2013

My match was also away off.  I am very fair with pink undertones.  UD naked 0.5 is a good match for me as is MUFE 110 (Which is a tiny bit too fair and too pink but blends in well for me).  I was matched to 1R06.  The makeup chosen was dior skin 022.  Horrible!!!  3 shades too dark at least (I look orange!). SA talked about blending it down my neck (uh, no).  Worst match ever except for the time a SA put me in Dauville from Nars (also horrible, way too dark and totally orange on me).  I'm thinking my freckles maybe threw it off (only thing I can think of).

DTalksAll

Yeah I find it funny that the Mods on BT go against what the Color IQ says when suggesting foundation matches, but won't admit that the Color IQ is off. 

BeautyJunkie325

(0) Hearts

I got my color IQ done in store on Sat evening.  Since I was out shopping with a friend, I was already wearing foundation.  The SA removed my make-up with a wipe and gave it a few minutes before checking my color.  It came up as 1R06 & showed quite a few foundation options for me.  She talked me through some options & I decided to try Clinique's even better foundation in the store.  She put on a Shiseido primer & then applied my foundation.  It was a perfect match.  She asked me what kind of blush I typically wore & chose the new Nars Realm of the Senses cheek palette.  I bought the foundation & was really happy with my experience.  I also loved that I got an e-mail with my color IQ # and all of the foundation choices so I don't have to search for a shade.

I have been wearing Bare Minerals for a few years because it was one of the first foundations that didn't make my skin break out or slide off my skin in an oil slick.  I have been wanting to try a new liquid foundation, but the thought of trying multiple products made me crazy/  Color IQ came out at a perfect time!!!! 

glossyguru

(0) Hearts

That's great! Color IQ worked really well for me as well, i found my perfect match in Nars Sheer Glow <3

solveig

I am so very confused. At first I tried the online tool with a couple foundations that I have (both are great matches). One gave me 1R03, another - 2Y02. It didn't exactly narrow it down.

Then today I went to the store. I had Hourglass Immaculate foundation on (the one that came out to be 2Y02), and the SA told me that it looks very natural on me, like I have nothing on (OK, so that's part of her job being nice to clients). I wiped off a couple of spots on my cheek, forehead and neck, and when she tested my skin, the shade I was matched to was 1Y02.

The foundations in this shade that popped up on the screen weren't exactly what I was looking for, since I am looking for a mattifying foundation with sheer to medium coverage and natural to matte finish. So she suggested I try Givenchy Mat Radiance and then she matched me to shade 1 Mat Porcelain. I just checked online and it says that shade is 3Y03.

In the end, now I have 4 different reading, and I am nowhere closer to finding the right shade for me. I guess I will stick to Hourglass, since its' formula is the best I've found so far.

annavp

I just got Color IQ 'matched' this afternoon. As soon as she pulled up compatible foundations on screen, and showed me where I placed on the chart, I knew this match was wrong. The SA made my face up with a Clinique foundation, and while she had a skilled hand, unfortunately is was glaringly obvious that my face was a few shades darker than my neck and chest. While the chart showed I have red/pink undertones (very true) I got put into the middle of the chart where lights and tans reside, and my skin is quite fair! (I typically have to buy the lightest shade in foundations or BBs). I went home, wiped off her makeup, and redid it myself with my own products.

EVERY SINGLE TIME I walk out of Sephora after getting my makeup done, my face is darker than the rest of my skin. I don't know if it's the florescent lights in there or what, but what's obvious to me doesn't seem to be to the employees...

Corrina777

(0) Hearts

My skin was read at two different stores.  The first reading came out at 2Y09, which I knew instantly was way too dark.  The SA tried one of the colors and sure enough, it was nowhere even close.  I happened to have UD Naked in 3.5 and 4.5 to test (with 3.5 being my first instinct).  The SA tried the UD 3.5 and it was a perfect match (to give an idea of how far off the reading was, when the SA selected the option for lighter shades, UD 5.0 showed up).  The second time was a few days ago, at my regular store.  Result was 1R06, and UD 3.5 was one of the first options listed.  

LCResz

My reading was off, too dark, but the lovely cast member helping me knew which shade was one step lighter and it was perfect. I never realized how yellow my skin tone really is, but it explains why I always looked so red in pictures before, because I was using a pink undertone foundation when I should be using a yellow undertone. Now I look like me in pictures! So, I think the SkinIQ is good for helping you figure out your undertones but for actual product matchup human eyes still win the race!

bratknits

(0) Hearts

I had it done yesterday in store, way off.  I'm fair skinned with a touch of rosacea, thanks Papa, and freckles.  I know it's supposed to read undertone and create an average but I think if there's too much surface color variance it throws off whatever algorithm the machine uses to create a match.  It's really just a fancy light/color meter similar to the ones photographers and printers have been using for decades.

It placed me at 1y06 which is far too dark and pink unless it averaging in the freckles and redness.  When the woman tried the first swatch, Dior 020, it was obviously too dark.  She went lighter to shade 010, which is 1y04, it was closer but still off in natural sunlight.

What I wear now is UD 2 which is 3y03 and that's with my summer "tan" and it matches very well but I can also wear the Benefit Oxygen WOW, 4y03, more yellow and it knocks back the red from the rosacea nicely because of additional yellow and looks quite natural.

I think it's an interesting concept and a good stating point for a lot of people but it's not perfect by any stretch.  I spent years in a darkroom in the days when digital photography was in it's infancy and people still needed to color balance by eye and my eye is better than this gadget.  It was interesting to see and try it out but I think I'm sticking to swatching and checking the match in sunlight.  The light bulbs in my store were halogen, yellow cast, and fluorescent, green cast, and the second swatch looked like the matched until I went over to the window where the mall skylight was shining into the store.

BrennaMcD

(0) Hearts

First, I found my matches online using my current foundation shades, which seemed to match me pretty well. That gave me 3Y03. When I was in the store, it gave me 3Y05, which isn't right because I am very fair. Also, when the woman helping me showed me my foundation matches, some had yellow undertones, but many clearly had pink undertones. I have no idea why it gave me those because I have an olive skin tone. When I asked the employee, she said that she had no idea why the system gave me those foundation matches. Obviously, something was wrong. Hopefully, the process becomes more accurate.

starletta8

It's been a crapshoot for me. Part of the problem is that you're not supposed to have exerted yourself- or your skin be irritated.  Hi, it's summer, there's a good chance I'll be naturally red.

I think ColorIQ is a fabulous concept, but I believe it will be difficult to get a true reading.

bleuorchid21

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I had a card to get matched and receive a kit with items in it (which I wasn't given by the SA helping me). It matched me with a slightly darker shade and more yellow toned (I am pink toned). She had to pick one a shade lighter and more pink toned. I had a powder foundation.

She said I matched 2 powder foundations but she only showed me one (Lancome Dual Finish in Matte Rose Clair 2 which wasn't the one I matched with since I think I was Wheat but it didn't work)) but not sure what my number is since she never wrote it down for me.

Something I thought was odd is when she tried it on, she used a cotton round which was fine but she kept putting it back into the product. Hopefully she used different parts of the cotton round each time since she went back in several times (just thinking of sanitary reasons).

whigrose

(0) Hearts

I'm very confused by it too. I got it done the first day it was available in my store. And since I went there specifically to do the Color IQ, I didn't wear ANY makeup, just moisturizer. I came out as 3Y05--so yellow undertones. The funny thing is, I've always thought I was a cool with pink undertones. AND I have a touch of very mild rosacea. So yeah, I don't understand it at all and all it did was confuse me even further. :smileysad: I was hoping it would be the answer to all my foundation matching woes, but sadly, I don't think it is. Has anyone else had this specific problem--where it suggests you have the opposite undertones of what you always thought?

mafan

(0) Hearts

I've had my color matched twice.  The first time I had a BB Cream on and the cast member had me wipe it off, which did make my face quite red.  I don't know what she was doing, but my reading said 4Y01 and she tried Nars Sheer Glow foundation in Mont Blanc, the lightest shade.  I was certain that was too light, so we went one darker (which is a 4Y02).  I thought it was very yellow and didn't like the look of it at all.  It felt like I had a mask on.

I was going for a makeover anyway about a week later.  The Makeup Artist was going to use a BB cream, but I was curious about the machine reading so we tried it and decided to try a foundation instead.  I had gone in with nothing more than moisturizer on, so no need to take something off.  This reading was 1Y06!  That has a huge range of foundation choices, and he used MUFE HD foundation in 125, Sand. (He also pulled two others in case I needed something slightly different -- no saying the machine always knows and thus it must be right for you.)  This color looked so much better on me.  I took a sample home and liked it, so I bought it last week and I've actually worn it twice this week (which is amazing, since I never wear foundation).  It will probably be a bit too dark when I lose summer color, but it will be nice to have for going out to dinner.

I wish the Korres Mineral Powder foundation was in the Color IQ system. I'd like to know what color the one I have is.  It looks great in the summer and I look orangy wearing it in the winter.

garnett

(0) Hearts

I finally went last night to have it done.  I had some makeup on so the cast member who was helping me gave me a LARGE facial wipe and let me get it all off.  When she had me pat my face dry and wait a couple of minutes so that the "wiping" didn't make me artificially pink or red.  She took three photos and then we got the results.  I came up a 1R06.  One of the foundations recommended for me is the Urban Decay Naked Skin in 3.5 which made me happy because that is the color that I already use.  It recommended that I use the YSL Touche Eclat in BD 40.  I have that foundation in the BR30 and I have always thought it was was a little too light and a little too pink.  I had purchased it on the recommendation of TWO sales associates at Nordstroms.  The cast member put the YSL BD40 on me and it made me look like I had no makeup on at all, only much better!  So, I have to say that I had a good experience and I feel it was quite accurate. The only thing that baffles me is I only have 27 matches out of sooooo many brands and choices. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 125 replies
  • 70 hearts
  • 60 in conversation
    • kalex
    • lovinglondon
    • DTalksAll
    • lb1414
    • mberteig
    • sephoramusthave