Color IQ

DTalksAll

Color IQ

So who has tried the color IQ in stores & on-line? 

http://www.sephora.com/IQ/color/

I heard people going into multiple stores & getting a different reading each time. 

I just tried the on-line tool with a light neutral undertone shade & all my results were medium with pink or yellow undertones. I also don't understand why I only get a few results and then try another foundation and get different product results. Like if I plugged in a tinted moisturizer shade I wouldn't get any powder product results even though that's what I'm looking for. 

Maybe if we post our results, they can somehow fix/improve it. 

So please... Share your results. 

DrWould

Re: Color IQ

(0) Hearts

I just went to sephora yesterday to get matched and I was a 3Y08. The color powder that the SA put on me seemed a little too dark. I didn't buy it right away because I wanted to think about it for a little bit and I'm really glad I didn't get it because I would have just had to go back for a lighter shade. While I don't think my result was accurate, it at least gave me a good starting point in terms of which shades to look at because I'm totally new to face makeup.  

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

Try to get matched in a foundation that's not available for your IQ. Then compare that to your IQ matches. I've gotten a lot better at picking out my shade on-line now. 

carrie1975

(0) Hearts

Mine came up 3y06. I always wear the lightest shade of foundation in pink undertones. Most foundations don't have a light enough color for me. Yellow makes me look sickly and gross. I had some yellowing sunburn on my neck where she took a reading. I not sure if it threw the numbers off. I did it for the points.

lb1414

When I did it mine came up 3y06 too Which is WAY to dark. From what I can tell I'm more of a 3y03. 

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

lb141  I think we are the same shade.  I got both those shades on my color iq.  the 3y06 was the first reading - and it was really really dark for me. Literally orange mask. 3y03 or 3y04 seems more like my match

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I've now had mine done 3x just out of curiosity. My number keeps getting more yellow & darker even though I'm loosing what little tan I had from the summer. 

DandyLionFluff

I was color matched twice.  

The first time I was color matched to 3Y05

The 2nd time matched to 1R06

The color matching wasn't even consistent with the color undertone.

I actually normally wear MAKE UP FOR EVER
HD Invisible Cover Foundation 

115 Ivory - for light skin with pink undertones

DandyLionFluff

I just checked and the MUFE HD 115 that I usually use is listed as Panatone color 1R03. So yes, I would say that the IQ system scans tooooo dark 

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

seems to be too dark on most people :/ 

angi77

(0) Hearts

Mine was so far off it was laughable.  I am wearing MUFE 110 (pink porcelain) which is an exact match to my jawline.  However, with faded freckles and a bit of sun this year, it goes on a bit light but still works fine.  I wanted to see if the next shade down would work since it seemed like a significant jump on the swatch.  Plus I wanted to know what other brands would work since many run yellow as opposed to pink and yellow based foundations have a tendency to go orange on me.  The color IQ came up with 120 and a similar "perfect cinnamon" in Givenchy.  Ok, first of all, I am *pink.*  When I swatched these, they looked like Simpsons yellow on my skin.  And they were like 5 shades too dark.  

So yeah, the technology isn't good at all.

mberteig

(0) Hearts

I am fair, with blue eyes and red hair.  I was matched as 4Y06, which I think is a little too dark for me.  I didn't know my undertone, however, so was happy to find out that it was yellow.  Makeup that I bought on my own that are color matched to me are 021 Linen in the Dior line, 15 nude in Sephora Microsmooth powder foundation, and light-medium in tarte 12 hour amazonian clay foundation.

I was disappointed with the number of choices available to me.  While this was an interesting exercise, I think I will stick to my tried and true.

Have you ladies tried findation?  It's a site when you type in foundation brands/colors that work for you, then it gives you color matches for other brands.  Pretty cool!

Carmen1986

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Personally, I don't feel techology is quite that intelligent when it comes to determining what a persons undertone is or what products work. I could be wrong here, but I am all for old fashion swatching on your jaw. It's more accurate even if lighting in the store is rather crappy. I did one round on the color IQ and I was considered like 6 shades in on some foundations. I know I am definitely in the ivory range maybe 2 - 3 shades in tops. However I am skeptical now of the whole color IQ system. I was really excited before. Also I believe that your selections when offered as suggestions after it's done could only be a fraction of what you might actually be able to wear !. Just my thoughts here !. 

Best of luck with this lol 

BTW - My reading was 2R07

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

I got it done but I want it redone. The very first time I did it I went in with a full face of makeup so there's no way I got an accurate reading. The SA took a face wipe and wiped off 3 small areas--side of forehead, cheek, and chin and took pictures with the device. It popped up as 3y06. I knew that was too dark because when I did the color IQ online where you put in your current foundation and it gives you a different match, I got a much much lighter code. She put a bobbi brown liquid foundation on me and it was wayyy too dark.

I think its a neat tool so I do want to walk in with a bare face next time and try it again, but I don't think its perfect.

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

See I thought the opposite... I thought in this day & age the technology should be amazing, and there's no way it would be wrong. Depending on how many shades a product offers I'm usually between 3 & 5 shades deep, but some shades I'm farther down because the separate by undertone. I know that some shades, depending on your undertone, may look darker, but aren't as you blend in. I'm Natural in Immaculate, which seems pretty dark for me, but it blends in perfectly. But according to the color IQ, my shades are way darker then they should be. I also don't like that it's only Yellow or Pink undertones. I'm neutral, and a lot of the suggestions for me are too yellow. 

As for the matches, the IQ will only show the EXACT matches for your number. On-line if you play with the "lighter" and "darker" buttons you may get more options. 

CourtneyLaura93

(0) Hearts

My colour IQ result was 4y04. I understand the "y" part because i do have a fairly yellow undertone, but all the matches were too dark! I had to really blend to make them look ok. I am very pale so I don't understand how I ended up with medium/light coloured foundation matches. I usually wear foundations that are ivory or fair and I find that they look more natural on me. :smileysad: disappointed.

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I got mine done again & it's still too dark for me. The cast member helping me, went down a few shades from the recommendation. 

carrie1975

(0) Hearts

Mine was off. In the store I was a 3y06. I'm so pale I usually can find a foundation that has a light enough color. I don't know what the y is for but I have pink undertones. One of the issues is when she put it on my neck she choose a yellowing sunburn area from earlier this summer. I also don't think she got all of my makeup off. She was the epitome of customer service and when she found out I was rouge she brought it up ten notches above that. She was so friendly and had so many tips and suggestions for me. Online, the match was much different.

SirenPrincess

Add me to the list of people who were matched way too dark and also the list of people who have gotten different results at different stores.  For reference, I am very fair with slightly warm undertones.  I normally wear Bobbi Brown Warm Ivory or for drug store brands I wear L'oreal W1.  My first attempt I came up a 2Y04.  The make-up artist tried one and immediately said it was too dark and too yellow.  So she picked out a lighter and less yellow shade, which I actually love and bought: Dolce and Gabbana 80 Creamy.  When I do a reverse look-up on that one, it says it's a 1Y06. Darker???

I went a couple of days ago and had them recheck me.  This time I was 2R05.  I could tell the colors were way off, but I let the make-up artist try one.  I was SOOOO orange.  Hilariously orange.  Oh my no!  I'm afraid I'm going to have to stick with the old-fashioned actually testing method.  I'd say the system just takes very fair girls too dark, but based on my experience with looking up the D&G foundation, I wonder if some of the foundations are also incorrectly listed too.

snowshoe

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I was typed in store to 2R07, which was too dark.  So we tweaked it to 1R07, which is better.  That matched me to MUFE 130.  I always wanted to try MUFE so I figured I'd give it a go.  It looked great in the store, but I need to see how it looks outside as well as after a full day.

I thought it was strange that I was marked as having red undertones.  I've always been told yellow or olive.  I wonder if this has to do with the rosacea, but the artist told me that she took the pics while avoiding those areas.

Still, it does seem odd, especially as I was matched the old-fashioned way to Smashbox Studio Skin in 2.1 and that shade is perfect.  And that is 1Y05!

Carmen1986

(0) Hearts

2R07 was what I was matched too as well. I think it's far too dark for me because I have more pink red undertones and I am more of a ' classic ivory ' shade in most foundations. 

Aleeya

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

i got the same results in stores 2 different times. the ones that matched with mine 1y07 have been good so far except the kat von d - I had to get a shade lighter in the foundation and 2 shades lighter in the matching powder.

the lady who helped me in the store said it will never be a perfect match.. its just a close guess. and if as always, i bought one online, got it, and i didnt like the colour, i could come in and trade it.

The hourglass arrived and I am wearing it (based on the tools recommendations). It is a perfect match.

The tool will get you close, but its still your final word as if you want to go a shade lighter or darker.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 125 replies
  • 70 hearts
  • 60 in conversation
    • kalex
    • lovinglondon
    • DTalksAll
    • lb1414
    • mberteig
    • sephoramusthave