DTalksAll

Color IQ

So who has tried the color IQ in stores & on-line? 

http://www.sephora.com/IQ/color/

I heard people going into multiple stores & getting a different reading each time. 

I just tried the on-line tool with a light neutral undertone shade & all my results were medium with pink or yellow undertones. I also don't understand why I only get a few results and then try another foundation and get different product results. Like if I plugged in a tinted moisturizer shade I wouldn't get any powder product results even though that's what I'm looking for. 

Maybe if we post our results, they can somehow fix/improve it. 

So please... Share your results. 

BuxomBabe80

Re: Color IQ

(0) Hearts

I can't for the life of me remember the color IQ that I was in the store. However, I used the online tool to see what my results would be, and they were all different, but I guess mostly similar.

Here are the foundations I wear currently and how they match up on Color IQ:

MUFE Mat Velvet+ in #20 - 1R03

Hourglass Immaculate foundation in Vanilla - 2R03

Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour foundation in Fair Beige - 2Y02

Urban Decay Naked foundation in 1.0 - 1Y02

I guess I need to go back to the store and get matched by an SA. 

cp2129

(0) Hearts

I got 1Y10, which ,interestingly enough, is the match I had using the online tool when I looked up my favorite pressed powder. I think it's accurate, because the other products I've used all fall under the 10 level shade, and I'm neutral toned leaning on yellow (if I had to choose warm or cool). I'm using Benefit's powder foundation, but I find that the liquid foundation in the same color might not match the powder too well. I think the system did do a good job of finding the correct skin tone, but I think the product recommendations can be really off. 

I think product recommendations might be harder to match because of ingredients. Some products with spf always have a white cast, even if it's barely visible to the naked eye. The camera sensor can probably pick up on these colors. It might make products that are look less yellow or red because the white cast from a sunblock would make the product seem more neutral. 

That's my theory.

snowshoe

To update my Color IQ saga:  the just right foundation turned out NOT to be just right after all.  So I went back to old-school swatching in person.  I determined my true Color IQ after I got matched to two different foundations that had the same Color IQ code...and let me tell you, in the end, the color IQ machine was WAY off from what patient SAs and I have determined I am.  

The last SA I had said that Color IQ can be inaccurate if you have any redness or other discolorations on your skin, which pretty much describes me :smileyhappy:  That being said, I think it's a decent tool for narrowing down choices, as well as--once you find an accurate color code--finding other foundations that may also work for you.

BrennaBombshell

I get tested nearly every time I'm in the store, just because I hear about people having different results each time. I'm consistently 1Y03 or 1Y04. So I get different results, but very close and never anything but those. 

kalex

I got my first reading done today at the Rouge Event and what a laugh!  As soon as she said 1Y05 and showed me where I am on the color chart I was like, "No way I'm that dark."  She insisted though, brought over some foundations, and proceeded to apply.  In the store lighting it looked okay but once I saw myself in natural light I cringed.  My face is a good 3 shades darker and yellower than my neck and chest. 

cp2129

The color chart is darker for everyone if you look at the chart: 

http://www.sephora.com/contentStore/mediaContentTemplateNoNav.jsp?mediaId=19200069&icid2=color_iq_co...

This is because they take the picture of your skin in pitch darkness (as the website says). The skin tones on the chart are what they would look like in darkness. I assume they do this because the camera sensor can still analyze your skin without a light source, and also because it would be harder for the camera sensor to match skin tones if different lighting sources make the same skin tone look like another skin tone.

I think the system is more or less a accurate for matching a person's skin tone. I think matching the product is harder, since a lot of the products recommended do not match each other. 

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

You know 1Y06 works for me in some foundations, but others I'm a 1Y04. And it's funny that a brand like Dior which has basically an identical product in liquid & powder form, with the same numbering would give a different Color IQ number. & then there are foundations that aren't an "exact match" for my Color IQ number, but are an exact match for me *looking at you Hourglass Immaculate in Natural*

And the color IQ helped me find a cream contour color by searching products a few shades darker :smileytongue: 

snowshoe

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I had have color IQ done 3 times.  

The first time, I was 2R07.  However, it was a spur-of-the-moment visit, so I had to remove the makeup I was wearing.  It took a lot of rubbing to get it off.  I have sensitive skin with rosacea, so it doesn't take much to get it red.  I was surprised at the R because I had always had (or so I thought) somewhat of a light olive undertone.  The foundation I tried (I can't recall what it was) was a little too pink.

I tried again 3 months later and this time, I'm 2Y07.  Again, a spur-of-the-moment visit so I had makeup on first.  But this SA didn't remove all of the makeup, just some of it near my jawbone.  Also, she took a pic of my neck and my inside arm to determine the color.  So I've got the Y, that seems more like it.  But the foundation I tried (MUFE 140) was a little too yellow.  

Today.  Third time is the charm, right?  A PLANNED visit to Sephora so I'm not wearing anything:  no makeup, no sunscreen, nothing but a little Hope in a Jar for moisturization and a hat because I skipped the SPF.  I explained my makeup concerns, let her see my face in its full glory (ha!) and I tried color IQ again.  This time, I got 1R07.  So we tried another foundation (MUFE 130), and so far this one seems just right.  I'll let you know in a few days.

Color IQ was consistent on one thing:  I'm a 7 in intensity.

I think where there's the most room for variation is the undertone.  In my case, R wins over Y by a score of 2-1.  I guess over the years, my undertone changed.

AllyKatVA

(0) Hearts

My third reading today, 3Y04, was the same as my second reading (my first was 5Y04?!?). It did occur to me that since I drive a lot, readings on one side of my face might be different than readings on the other. However, the second reading was done on the right, today's was done on the left. It has also been a month, so my skin may have gotten a bit lighter...

I really wanted to try the Hourglass Immaculate, which does not match my IQ read, so the MUA did a swipe test. Sure enough, as usual, I am the palest shade, Porcelain, which equates to a 5Y02. It is a pretty decent match. I seemed to be a bit in between the Porcelain and the Pearl, which equates to a 2Y02. I suppose that means that the 3Y part is fairly accurate, even if the shade depth is too dark. Most people who feel like the IQ matches are off do seem to say it reads dark.

Nicrohr

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Okay here is my update (and this is a cross post with another thread about Color IQ being too dark).

I just had mine re-done today because it seemed too dark (and also possibly too yellow) last time.  I went in with a freshly washed and lightly moisturized BARE FACE (absolutely no SPF, and it was dark outside so don't be concerned :smileytongue:).  I wouldn't let the lady swipe me with cleansing stuff or add moisturizer at the counter because I am super reactive/allergic/sensitive and I didn't want to get all red and mess up the reading.

My guess is that I am really a 1Y05 in the winter, perhaps a 2Y05.

Last time I went they read me at 2Y06 which seemed too dark at the time and I was even summery-skinned then (not as pale as now, though not super tan or anything).

This time they had me at 2Y07, inexplicably, because my last of the summer tan has seriously faded and this is as pale as I've been in like 5 years. I definitely should have read LIGHTER on this visit than last time, not darker... hmmmm.

That being said my results don't seem to be SUPER off, but they always seem a little dark and a little too yellow in most of the foundations I try. Not to mention after that, things oxidize on me so I definitely can't go darker, but the above is just going on initial application/testing on face at store (almost all were too dark or yellow).

Overall though, even if slightly off this was fun and useful information, even if it is a little too dark.  It was neat as a starting point for shopping, and really cool to have what I THOUGHT was my skin tone somewhat confirmed -- even if I feel a little crazy that I know I am paler than they keep saying :smileywink:.

dolceloure

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I've only used it once but I saved my IQ number for reference. I haven't bought any new foundations lately, but I've sampled a few of the shades that matched my number, and I think they're really good matches! Mine was 2Y07....medium/beige...with golden, dark yellow and peach undertones (kind of a variety)

There was a weird moment though when I saw a NARS foundation in a shade called "Punjab" listed for me -- name of the region of Pakistan where my mom is from. Very on the nose? Slightly racist? I'm not sure, I just laughed. The SA helping me at the time was confused, lol. 

infinitise

(0) Hearts

I got similar results the both times I went to the store. 

One was 1Y07 an the other was 2Y07. 

But then when I tried it on my face at home with natural light from the window, it was at least 2~3 shades darker. 

I just go by the foundation color that look best on me 

Nicrohr

(0) Hearts

What does the first number mean anyway?  If the second number is "darkness/lightness" and the letter is Red/Yellow/Nuetral. (or I may have that wrong?)

LindenAnn

Pretty sure the first number is the degree of red/yellow. So 1Y is slightly yellow more neutral, and 3Y is more yellow, etc.

DTalksAll

Yup, & there is no neutral number, BUT 1Y & 1R are both considered neutral, 2Y & 2R can still be a touch neutral. 

Which is why some matches for 1Y06 & 1R06 will show foundations that are neutral, pink & yellow undertones. 

Nicrohr

[ Edited ]

Yeah I've gotten different results each time I've done it - and some of the SAs were pretty confused about how to use it, even months after it came out.

It seems like user error on the SA's part, or just malfunctioning equipment is an issue.

Also, both times I've put in my email or signed into my BI account on their little machine -- and both times it failed to add my color to the BI Account, nor did it email me the results.

So I still don't remember what my number is from either time, anyway, for sure.  Both times the SA insisted it would get to me that way so she didn't write it down.

I THINK I was 2Y06 when I was still perhaps a little tan (I had this done twice close together so it wasn't a fading tan accounting for the differences -- but I will do it again now that I'm winter pale).

In checking my Bare Minerals foundation(s) through the system online-- it seems I am spot on.  Every SA recommends light or even medium (3+ shades darker than I actually wear), I'm not sure why this happens.  But I'm pleased that the system made me feel less crazy -- indeed I am between the two absolute lightest foundation colors in BM!  I feel better now knowing that I'm not insane for insisting on wearing these (I blend the two because the lightest is only available in R (pink undertones) which is too red for me).

DTalksAll

Do you remember any of the foundation shades you were matched to? 

You could try a manual search with the foundation shade & it will tell you your number. 

I too was told I'd get the e-mail, never did, threw out the paper the game me (it was written on a tiny piece of receipt paper), but was able to search for it with the foundation I tried. 

Nicrohr

Oh that's a good idea -- but of course no I don't remember lol.  Brilliant though if I did!

I think if I go to the mall today to finish up some holiday shopping, I will get color matched again - thanks for reminding me.

I'm also curious now that I'm all pale!

DTalksAll

[ Edited ]

Just don't wear makeup before you go in. I know they remove your makeup, but you have to wait a bit, since those harsh makeup removers turn your face red & they don't remove everything. Best to go in with a bare face. 

Nicrohr

(0) Hearts

Good idea for sure.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 125 replies
  • 72 hearts
  • 60 in conversation
    • kalex
    • lovinglondon