DTalksAll

Color IQ

So who has tried the color IQ in stores & on-line? 

http://www.sephora.com/IQ/color/

I heard people going into multiple stores & getting a different reading each time. 

I just tried the on-line tool with a light neutral undertone shade & all my results were medium with pink or yellow undertones. I also don't understand why I only get a few results and then try another foundation and get different product results. Like if I plugged in a tinted moisturizer shade I wouldn't get any powder product results even though that's what I'm looking for. 

Maybe if we post our results, they can somehow fix/improve it. 

So please... Share your results. 

MikuNerd65

Re: Color IQ

I tried it 2 times and got 2 different letters/numbers each time....one was 2y06, and the other matched me with Kat Von D lock it tattoo foundation 48 (which was WAAAAY to dark for my skin, change that 2 times before it got to the right color) and CLINIQUE Even Better Makeup SPF 15 Cream Chamois (that one was perfect!)

DTalksAll

I'm 1Y06 & some of the foundation matches seem so dark & others are perfect. I think it depends on the brand. Then again the results for 1Y06 are kind of funny. Dior Forever liquid foundation is number 20, but in the pressed powder (same line, same brand) it's a few shades darker. I wear 20 in the powder, have been for a while, the only way I could use the darker is for contouring :smileyhappy: 

I'm glad you were able to find a perfect match!

lovinglondon

(0) Hearts

I used the online tool with my favourite foundation and I was really happy with the results. At first I thought the results were way too light but when I tried them on they were perfect.

I haven’t tried it in store.

DTalksAll

I think matching it with foundations you already know are your match are better than the in store machine :smileywink: 

I finally got a good match in store that has some of the foundations I've already been matched to. A few of the results are really off and about 4 shades darker than the others. Hopefully they'll keep updating it. 

chelle478

I have had ColorIQ done twice, a couple of months apart. Keep in mind the fact that I avoid the sun like crazy.  The first reading was 2Y04, and the new one was 2R06.  I had the second one done because the foundation I purchased at the first visit made me look so yellow. Seems like a really big difference...

DTalksAll

That's a huge difference! 

Carmen241986

I've done 2 different Color IQ's at 2  locations. Both readings we're much different then the other. I've felt that I rather just be color matched via an artist and get a sample. If it don't match go for another sample either lighter or darker. I just don't feel the technology can really pin point an accurate color reading. 

Nicrohr

I think this is all a good point.

Just to differ a bit, I do think tech CAN give us accurate - even awesome and helpful results.

But at the moment I think there are too many factors mucking that up - mostly user error on the SAs part, or imperfect/not calibrated equipment, or some other problem!

LindenAnn

(0) Hearts

I think when you use a current product to get similar suggestions they try to give you the same type of product (i.e. powder gives other powders, liquids give liquids, etc.). So if you want a broad range of selections it might be more beneficial to figure out what the color code is for your product, then go back to the intro page and put that code in. You should get all different types of foundations then.

As for accuracy, I think it depends a lot on the lighting in the store. I found my undertones stayed pretty consistent but the darkness changed slightly based on how much light there was in the store. Also, I'm pretty sure they don't actually have a "neutral undertone" per se everything you get will be differing intensities of pink or yellow. The low intensity yellows and pinks are pretty much neutral. Like I'm 1Y which is basically neutral.

IttyxBittyxMe

I've gone to two different stores to have it done and I got the same reading each time.

Now I will go ahead and say that the color IQ gives you a foundation that's going to work for your face over all, so if you're like me who has two different skin tones in her face (the areas you highlight - undereye/cheeks and my forehead) are a little more golden toned, the outer portion of my face is a little more brown/red toned, or it's darker. So when I do the color IQ it gives me that darkest color on my face so when I do put on foundation it takes a minute for me to get use to my face because it's completely even.

So without makeup (not sure how well you can see it, plus this is an old picture taken during the summer)

image.jpg

With the color IQ match foundation

image.jpg

I get a tad darker because the lightness is taken out of my cheeks. So is it an exact match? No, but I'm two toned so it's not going to be -  am hoping to eventually find a foundation the color of my cheeks so I can still keep that natural highlight effect. Anyway, I think the tool is good for what it does, my mom got her match as well and it was pretty spot on as she has one shade of color throughout her whole face. 

oklady2013

(0) Hearts

I did do it online but haven't been able to go swatch to see how accurate the results are. Looking at the brands & colors on line they look like they could work. I find swatch matching works best for me.

oklady2013

I'm not sure if any one posted this yet or not but online you can enter either  your color IQ # if you have one or your current foundation brand, then select the available sub type, ie Glow for Nars then pick your color & get results.  On the left hand side of the results page you can go a shade lighter or darker. This could be a great tool for those times of year when we're lighter or darker because of the season.

Hope this helps.

http://www.sephora.com/color-iq?searchTerm=color%20iq&_requestid=31076

thesupergirl

I tried it online it doesn't seem right it says I'm 5y06 since I use bare minerals in fairly light. 5y06 just looks to dark for me I'm very fair.

Nicrohr

(0) Hearts

I use fairly light (and in winter I mix in the lightest BM shade to lighten it) and I am (approximately, I think, going to update today) 2Y06.

I think BM is a particularly bad match for the Color IQ system, perhaps.

Also, just hard to match by regular standards in general (or very flexible, you could wear a few shades).  I'm pale but not ULTRA PALE so I think maybe SAs just automatically assume I'm in the middle of the BM shade spectrum, especially those that don't use the line.  I'd hate to be a really pale/alabaster skinned person, because there are no super pale options in the BM line :smileysad:.

Since you are wearing the second-to-lightest BM shade, and if you think it's a good match, that seems appropriate for someone fair.  Rather than suggesting your wearing the wrong foundation, I'd suggest that either the color reading is wrong, or perhaps they just have trouble using Color IQ with BM foundations.

I know they always try to get me into darker BM foundations when I go in (much darker than even my Color IQ reading for BM).  I'm not sure why -- my best guess is the above, that they just assume in the middle of the available shades since I don't have a STRIKINGLY pale skin tone.  

I'm very picky about color match and I wear the same foundation as you, and I've tried about every possible foundation... and still think this is the best match available -- at least in BM.  They are always trying to match me to 3, 4, even more shades darker in Bare Minerals.  This doesn't happen with other brands!

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

Have you ever been matched in another foundation? Maybe a try a different one. 

mafan

(0) Hearts

I had mine done again today, too.  (Heck, I overslept and left with no makeup at all this morning.  I was thinking of putting something on at work and then decided since I'm Rouge I'd let Sephora do it instead and check out some things that interested me.)

Today I came up as 1Y07, which makes sense, as I feel like I might be just a bit darker still than when last matched (due to two weeks in Jamaica in Sept; I don't tan a lot but I definitely got darker and haven't lost it all yet).  I was interested in the Hourglass Immaculate foundation.  We tried it and it was horrible on me.  I looked SO YELLOW in it.  Given the redness I have on my neck and chest, it just made those look worse.  I'd tried a sample at home (a darker shade right after I got back from vacation) and really liked it, but my skin is definitely drier now.  It found wrinkles I didn't know I had, which is not what you want your foundation to do.

Anyway, we took that off and went with the Veil foundation instead.  That matches 1Y06, since there isn't a 1Y07 match.  So much better.  I know they have the same first number, but it didn't look anywhere as yellow as the first choice, and maybe even looked a bit darker.  She said that how foundation looks also depends on how light reflects off of it, not just the pigment, which makes sense.  She also said that sometimes it's hard to get a good match with the tool because most people don't have perfect skin and if you have some redness, freckles, etc, it can be hard to find 3 different spots that don't have those things affect the readings. 

So I learned that 1Y06 is good for now; I will have to see how it is in January.  And I learned that I definitely don't want the Immaculate foundation.  And since this foundation is the same tone as the MUFE HD foundation I have (125), I don't feel a need to get anything right now.  When what I have starts looking weird I'll know I need to go lighter and I'll have it done again.  (My Korres powder foundation probably looks fine now and I know in January it made me look orange.  I wish I could find it in the system.  For some stupid reason only 2 of the shades in that range show up in Color IQ and mine isn't one of them.)

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

boo on the immaculate. I have dry skin & really like it, as long as I put primer on first I have no issues with it. 

mafan

(0) Hearts

What color do you have (since your latest color IQ is the same as mine)?  And how do you apply it?  I loved the look of the one I tried before (the lighter of the two medium shades on the foundation card) and it felt so wonderful to wear.  And I just applied that with my fingers.  The MU applied it with a brush and I don't know if that made the difference or if the shade just didn't suit me.  After trying the darker color I really wanted to like it and it just didn't look right.  My skin isn't that dry, but I suspect it is older than yours. :smileyhappy:

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

Natural, but I don't think it shows up for my color IQ. 

I put a pump on the back of my hand and apply it with my fingers working quickly in small sections, making sure it's all blended before I move on to the next section. 

Your skin is older then mine, but I find foundation sits in my lines the same it does with my dry patches, which is why I mentioned the dryness. 

rdesigns

(0) Hearts

I went once and was told I was a 3Y06.  So far, the foundations I have purchased since then have been perfect.  I guess I just got lucky that day? :-)

The Lancome Teint Visionnaire Skin Correcting Makeup Duo in 210 Buff N just melts right into my skin and is the most perfect match I have ever had for a foundation.  

killahbabe

(0) Hearts

I'm 3Y06 as well! Or at least I am in the summer! I'm 120 in MUFE and Light in BM in the summer months and 117 in MUFE and Golden Fair in BM during the winter months.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 125 replies
  • 71 hearts
  • 60 in conversation
    • kalex
    • lovinglondon
    • DTalksAll
    • lb1414
    • mberteig
    • sephoramusthave