snshnegirl

why do the women that work in my local Sephora's have horrible makeup application?

(0) Hearts

When I go to Sephora, I never ask for advice because the women that work there mostly have horrible makeup application. I am not trying to sound rude but i'ts been my experience. Is makeup application knowledge required for the employee?

kristamarielund

Re: why do the women that work in my local Sephora's have horrible makeup application?

But the ladies at my Sephora all look great.

sephoramusthave

Re: why do the women that work in my local Sephora's have horrible makeup application?

(0) Hearts

I agree that the sales ladies at Sephora dont know what they are doing when it comes to makeup application--but not just at Sephora...everywhere. ULTA, MAC, Origins, Neiman Marcus, Saks...they all look SCARY most of the time.

Once at Sephora my mother asked one of the ladies to find a foundation match by some company and when she was done, it looked horrible. My mother has fair skin, and that woman made her look orange and wayy to over done. I also let a woman at a boutique called Papillon do my face with Bare Minerals and she picked a shade that was probably 3 shades too dark! AND over that super dark powder she put some bronzer on top of it...I hated it. But what can you do? I smiled, thanked her, and got the hell out of there. I went into the next store, and wiped my face off in the bathroom with tissue wipes ( thank god to whoever invented those!)

mallory3000

I think all they employees at Sephora are always kind and never pushy like other department stores. I do not enjoy shopping at Mac at all. They look like clowns and are snobby and rude at every single counter I have been too. I don't let the workers at Sephora put on make up for me anymore because the always put waaaaaaaaay too much on and end up taking it off, but I do ask for help and they do give good advice.

runy

(0) Hearts

I think that at Sephora, they are allowed to practice a little creativity with their makeup.  I think what they put on is a personal preference.

As for MAC, I'm really astonished to read everyone's admittance of their HORRIBLE customer service, because I thought it was JUST ME.  Gosh- they are absolutly terrible.  They may be makeup artists, but I don't get the feeling that they know anything about the products.  It's too bad because I was turned away from MAC for years because of this, especially because I didn't know as much about makeup then as I do now and it would have just took one person to show me nicely and I would have been devoted to the brand.  I don't understand why they wouldn't train their "makeup artists" in customer service?  Or have an equal amount of customer service ppl at the counter as makeup artists?  Heck, if we are all ordering online to avoid their nasty and rude attitudes, why bother.  In any case, the last time I went to MAC for foundation matching they matched me too light because they couldn't care less about helping me.  I mean, if you don't even want to help people with MAKEUP and a MAKEUP artist- what's the purpose of you being there?!

katie1724

(0) Hearts

I think it depends on what you perceive terrible makeup application to be...is it just too overdone, or is the makeup actually very poorly applied? I live near one of the biggest flagship stores in the country, so maybe that has something to do with it -- but all of the associates are always immaculately made up (even the men) -- albeit in a superdramatic, lavish way. Yes, they wear hot pink and orange shadows, electric blue liners, super bright lip color, and feathery lash extensions. Would I go out in public looking like this? Never. However, the execution of the look is always skilled, even if it's not what I would prefer. That's their job, though -- they're supposed to stand out. Again, perhaps in other stores, the quality is not so great -- but at this flagship store, they generally look like they know what they're doing. I would add -- I'm from Pittsburgh, PA (not a flagship store location), and the associates always looked great at the three stores there, too.

On a related note:

I totally agree about MAC! I've been helped by a few wonderful associates, but I have also had some very bad experiences. I also got one of the worst makeup jobs of my life at MAC -- it was so bad, I had to go wash off the color in the restroom. (This isn't really a matter of opinion -- I had color streaked across my cheeks, and looked like a clown.) I don't know where their skilled artists were that day! 

honeylemongirl

[ Edited ]

From talking to friends who have worked at Sephora before, this is what I gather:

Makeup skills are NOT required of Sephora employees, so far as cashiers and the employees who walk around and help customers are concerned. The focus of their jobs is customer service, not makeup application. They can tell you all about the product, but they often don't know how to apply it for you in the best way, at least not as well as a makeup artist would.

On the other hand, there are specific employees at Sephora stores who are hired on the basis of their makeup skills and are meant to be the people putting makeup on you if you want a makeover type of dealie. If you want someone to put a product on for you, THIS is the Sephora employee you should be seeking out, not the girl behind the register. Therefore, these are two different types of Sephora employees and the majority of them are in the first category.

The reason for this is because unlike MAC, Sephora isn't focused on artistry and such. They're focused on the sale of a huge range of products from different brands, so they hire people who know how to sell and can learn about hundreds of products. MAC hires people who know how to do makeup. Everyone who works at MAC goes through a rigorous interview and makeup tests where you have to prove your skills and really show them off. You have to be GOOD at doing makeup to be hired at MAC, everyone who works there has to be.

But have you ever gone to a MAC store or counter? Let's be honest, their customer service is god AWFUL. Every time I go to a MAC store or counter, I regret it because the MAC employees could really care less about you. I'd much rather just buy their products online, no matter how much I adore MAC products---it's not worth it to deal with their people. These aren't salespeople, they're makeup artists. That's the key difference, and that's the reason why you won't get the same thing at MAC vs Sephora.

starshinegloss

(0) Hearts

I think this was a great explanation. I wonder if Sephora has a specific name for those sales associates who can also do makeup. Most top makeup artists that I've seen barely wear any makeup and are clean-faced/natural. I wish Sephora would take note. :smileyhappy:

bijouxkristyna

I'm surprised at how judgemental the title of this thread is.  I see all types of women and men at Sephora.  There's the girl who rocks all the latest wild trends (think Warhol collection), and the girl who wears a minimal BB Cream and gloss, and the woman who wears the classic Red Lip and Cat eye.  The guy who has the smoothes skin and a shiny lip, and the guy who's rockin' the second day beard with a messy do.  Everyone at Sephora is trained in basic makeup application.  Others are certified in application.  Some of the most minimalist artists are the ones who do the best job.  My daughter is incredibly artistic is so many ways - she never wears a drop of makeup.

sarithor

Once I went in and they were all wearing fake eyelashes and I asked why and they told me sometimes they have to wear certain things that they are promoting.. I don't know if that was a one time thing, but maybe they do have to wear make up that they normally wouldn't wear to promote and they aren't comfortable with it. I'm not sure. Everytime I've gone in they've been helpful and knowledgeable to me.  Probably depends on the place and the people. I definitely prefer Sephora's customer service over MAC's though. I do agree with that. MAC just seems snooty and stuck up to me. I'd definitely rather get help from Sephora than MAC anyday, I don't care if MAC are make up artists and Sephora isn't... customer service is everything to me.

melalah

(0) Hearts

a couple years ago I asked to be color matched and was matched to a shade that was actually 2 shades lighter than what I should have been matched to...so I think it varies. Now when I go in, they find whomever the expert is for that particular area to help me.

stuvesoup

(0) Hearts

Maybe they do really have horrible makeup on or maybe it's the environment, too?  I work at a hospital, and by the end of my shift my makeup certainly doesn't look as flawless as when I first started the day--especially if it's crazy busy!  Either way, if you're not comfortable with an associate doing your makeup or getting advice from them, go ahead and pass.  Hopefully there is someone there that can be of help!  If not, you've got this forum to be of assistance...

I had a teacher that also worked at a makeup counter at the local mall and apparently they were told to look very made up in order to attract customers.  And after hearing that, I've noticed how a lot of the ladies at makeup counters are always done up.  I don't think I've ever met a sales person at the makeup counter that didn't have a full face of makeup..

jadorezrg

Wow, I'm within driving distance to 4 full size Sephora s...

(0) Hearts

Wow, I'm within driving distance to 4 full size Sephora stores and I'm lucky that I've never seen a badly made up associate! Everyone I've seen is FLAWLESS (that includes the men!)

I have to say though that I've noticed this at a MAC location. They look too overdone. They're like trying every makeup trend of the season all at once. Its unfortunate since MAC's makeup is so pigmented (I love their eyeshadows, and kohl liners). They should really tell their workers to try to tone it down because it deters me from taking their advice seriously.

Maybe you can send a message to Sephora's customer service about that specific location's lack of makeup skills. Afterall, they're supposed to be representing the Sephora brand.

starrkissed

Re: Wow, I'm within driving distance to 4 full size Sephora s...

(0) Hearts

I've noticed the same thing at MAC counters!  They use REALLY bright blush and too much of it and the same with lipsticks sometimes at the one I go to.  I'm like... really???  I love their make up, so luckily they don't need to sell me no it, but I won't ask for advice.

xmychanelscalpel

That's pretty surprising. I think they attend training se...

(0) Hearts

That's pretty surprising. I think they attend training sessions, but I don't know how much experience you have to have in order to be hired initially.

Maybe the store is really hot and they're running around and it gets oily/smudges/etc? But if it is just generally a hot mess of an eyeshadow applications or poorly blended (with obvious lines) foundation, I'd probably steer clear of asking those associates for advice.

kristen1990

I've noticed that, too. And not only at Sephora, but at m...

(0) Hearts

I've noticed that, too. And not only at Sephora, but at makeup counters at department stores. One time I did let a Sephora employee fix up my makeup, but she made me look like a clown. I can apply makeup better than most of the employees I have seen. I know they have to attend some kind of course on skincare and such.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 35 replies
  • 20 hearts
  • 31 in conversation
    • melalah
    • runy
    • katie1724
    • sarithor
    • xmychanelscalpel
    • ntailor