snshnegirl

why do the women that work in my local Sephora's have horrible makeup application?

(0) Hearts

When I go to Sephora, I never ask for advice because the women that work there mostly have horrible makeup application. I am not trying to sound rude but i'ts been my experience. Is makeup application knowledge required for the employee?

catherineu2

Re: why do the women that work in my local Sephora's have horrible makeup application?

I've seen a few that looked a little like clowns (sorry to say) but they were all very helpful. I think eveyone's makeup tastes are different but I trust the employees to help me.

ChicDabbler

Re: why do the women that work in my local Sephora's have horrible makeup application?

It's a hit or miss I think. Also, some Sephora lighting are not the most flattering. I've seen a girl with flawless makeup on one trip, but the next month when I went to the store, she had such heavy bronzer and lipstick on it looks like she's making a duck face even when she's not. Some employees also test the products on themselves, the girl at the checkout counter last time I went had those sticker eyeliner on her hand. =)

liveinlovexx

(0) Hearts

Hmm, odd! All the girls at Sephora, and boys mind you ;], are always super nice and all look very good! I haven't once been helped by someone who looked or acted scary! And I think that even if we have a different taste, they normally are spot on in finding me what I am looking for. I guess it depends from store to store.

I do know a lot of the girls in my store have gone to make-up school, or are currently going to school to become make-up artists or estetitions (SP?) . Maybe I just got super lucky with an awesome store?!

And also, if you make an appointment ot get your make-up done, not all the girls there are able to be your artist, so they do get extra training for that.

I love everyone at Sephora.

As for Mac, I am a big Mac girl too. I don't have one close to me now that I moved so I have strayed a lot, but I also find that all the girls at Mac have always been good to me. :]

MoreGun89

All of the employees I've seen in my stores have been knowledgably made up!  Even the one man I have seen behind the counter has a better eyeliner application technique than I do XD

sephoramusthave

The men at makeup counters look fantastic! I dont see very many, but the 2-3 that I have seen, both at Sephora and Chanel makeup counters look like they just stepped freshly out of a magazine!

I remember once at Sephora, a looong time ago (3 yrs ago? 4?), one of the staff was a gay man and he looked SOOO good in his makeup that I couldnt stop staring. I was admiring his makeup, but he probably thought that I was creepy lol so I told him OMG I LOVE your technique! And his face went from "who is this crazy person" to "oh okay! thank you!!". I asked him what foundation he was using, and he said that what he was wearing was not sold in the store so he cant recommend it to me or he would lose his job ( what up with that Sephora?) but he pointed the way to something similar.

I also find the same thing with haircut people, the men usually tend to do a better job on me. And they have more patience and dont pull and tug at my hair when they are brushing it.

MoreGun89

Seriously, what is up with men doing things women tend to go to other women for so well!  Take massage therapy for instance (can't really go to a man now with my fiance though >.<), the yearly "poking and prodding" checkup for birth control (never even felt a pinch when I've had to see a male doctor), hair styling, manicures, pedicures, eyebrow waxing (when I was still learning to shape them myself),even makeup application!

I don't understand! XD 

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

I have to stay this though....what we consider "too much and crazy" might be the fashion/in-right-now-thing in the makeup world. I once saw a sephora sales woman wear emerald green lipstick (probably the occ lip tar) which you know.....isnt really everyday makeup, BUT Emerald is hot right now, so they probably have to wear *something* emerald to stand out and promote the color. Heck, I give her major props, because I can rock a emerald green eye but dont have the moxy to rock a emerald lip. That doesnt mean her makeup isnt good though, its just the fashion.

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

Well Every store is different. I've come across employees who are helpful, some that aren't. A few of the Sephora employees are licensed. And every employee recieves some sort of training, but all people have differen't styles, and opinions about what looks good. I don't always love the style of some MUA. But i find Sephora to be a great environment. 

Rachel517

(0) Hearts

I've never had problems at both Sephora and MAC all the women and guys have been super nice and friendly and actually have a conversation with you about all the products and even their preferences and what they think would look great on you. I don't know if its just here in Kelowna, but also in Richmond BC, at the Richmond Centre Mall, and in Vancouver, they've been super friendly and treat you with so much respect. 

starshinegloss

(0) Hearts

They're not makeup artists, and they often "play" in the makeup all day. Just like sales associates at other beauty counters. If you notice, they are there one week and gone the next sometimes. Working at cosmetic counters and beauty stores can be a very temporary job, and they often hire people for the holidays. I have not met a single Sephora employee/Makeup Artist who actually went to a makeup artistry school. :/ It's been disappointing. I am licensed and sometimes I want another opinion in the store that's just as experienced. 

pocketvenus

(0) Hearts

For the most part, the Sephora employees I've seen look great, and they have given decent advice although I rely much more on this website for info about products. I only asked for application once for mineral powder and the match was perfect.

As for MAC, I had one sales associate treat me like garbage, gave them a second chance and received similar service so I have NEVER been back. Sephora staff are definitely much friendlier and far more helpful. I'm sorry to hear things haven't changed at MAC.

ntailor

(0) Hearts

Wow, from reading everyone's comments I agree with pretty much ALL of you.  MAC staff are stuck up and don't really tend to help you out as much.  When I have gone a couple of times, I have needed help and it would take longer than 15 minutes for someone to help me which is ridiculous!!!!! And I think that they do over-do their makeup, like A WHOLE LOT!!!!!! it just looks plastered on....

As for Sephora, they do a good job of helping you out with what you are looking for as long as you know what you want, your skin type etc etc....some I have noticed that their makeup looks cakey or not so well put on, but I agree with a few of you that their intention is not to apply makeup but to help promote the brands and sell sell and SELL more!!!!

As for other makeup department stores (Lancome, Estee Lauder etc etc) they do wear alot of makeup as well. From my own experience, you don't get hired unless during the time of your interview you are wearing a WHOLE LOAD OF MAKEUP!!!! I had an interview with Lancome a few years back, and I did not get hired because I was not wearing enough makeup. Enough makeup meaning the amount that MAC Staff wear thats how much I should have been wearing.  Even though I answered questions appropriately and I knew about their products and stuff....that didn't matter.  When I didn't get the job I called up the interviewer and asked why I didn't get hired because I felt I should know so I could improve if I did something wrong, and my answer was not enough makeup!!!

curvygirli

i agree. i have had them help me several times and each time the colors were so wrong for me. however they are far nicer than mac employees. mac employees look like overly made up party girls who are too   cool to talk to you they are always snotty and NEVER offer to help me, and when i inquire about items they act as if i am just wasting their time, and feel stupid when i buy a few products. 

xwynxshannon

(0) Hearts

It must be a regional thing because I have really bad luck in the MAC store on the Plaza in Kansas City but the people that work at the MAC counter in the Dillards that I shop at in Wichita have really good service. The people that help me there are always so nice and friendly and know a good deal about their products. Some women are more helpful than others. I'm a really frequent shopper there though so I think that they know me by now. The Sephora in Wichita will open in like 5 days. I cannot wait!!

lovely1reigns

My location is a hit and miss. There are new faces all the time due to turn over. I have to admit, I won't except beauty advice from someone who is just plain scary! Sometimes the mac people are just plain scary!!

pandapple6

[ Edited ]

I always go to someone with a makeup look that I like because generally, these people (with a style makeup that you like) give you a makeup look that you like better. However, if you cannot find someone who you like their makeup, be VERY specific of what style you want. 

Also, Sephora and MAC counters and any other makeup stores have spotlight lighting, which changes the colors of some thing so it is hard to tell what REALLY looks good until you are out in the sunlight. 

golightly120

(0) Hearts

I hear ya!!! Lol! If I don't like something about their look, as soon as they recommend something and say "I like...." , I steer clear until I can read reviews! Some people just have a different "style"  and like odd combinations of colors....   :smileywink:

shyvicki

(0) Hearts

Never been to a MAC store and know of only one location in Indiana. I usually go to the Greenwood, Indiana Sephora store and the staff there has always been friendly and helpful without being pushy. When I went there a couple days ago I asked for a reccomendation for a good concealer for under-eye circles. Not only did she reccomend a good one (Laura Mercier Secret Concealer) but also showed me a slightly different way to put it on.

orangepez

(0) Hearts

The mac people are not nice! If they had any idea how much money I spend on makeup!  I have nothing mac because they act like I am invisible when I am there.

kristamarielund

(0) Hearts

I've had the opposite experience. The girls at my local MAC are incredibly friendly and happy to help. I feel like I'm annoying and bothering people at Sephora when I ask a question or god forbid ask for a sample, and I spend A LOT of money there.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 35 replies
  • 20 hearts
  • 31 in conversation
    • melalah
    • runy
    • katie1724
    • sarithor
    • xmychanelscalpel
    • ntailor