lizie

Worst Customer Service Experience Ever!

I am disappointed that i have to write this complain because I do like shopping at Sephora and I do expect more from this store. Today I went to the Sephora nearest to home which is unfortunately a JCPenny Sephora. I went to the store to get some make up basics (mascara and eyeliner) and to get my birthday gift. My friend who came with me was looking for a new lipstick because she had a date tonight. While I was getting the stuff I wanted and searched for a shopping tote, not once was I greeted or asked if I needed help (which I did since shopping totes were short in supply and dirty as I later found out, too). Instead, pretty much every supposed "sales associate" in the store passed us without a glance. I got what I wanted (except the eyeliner since the JCP Sephoras do not carry the Dior eyeliner I usually get) and went with my friend who had not found what she wanted (she was not helped either, by the way). Instead, I was the one who helped her find lipsticks, but samples on her and get her cotton cleaning pads. When I jokingly told her that maybe I should work at Sephora since I was doing their job, the only sales associate who heard me turned her nose up at us and walked away. I was finally feed up and decided to leave. I went to pay for the little I got although I now regret getting it from this store. The cashier did not ask me if I had found everything ok (maybe because she could tell I was not happy at all). And, when she got the products out of the tote, they were covered in lipstick. She then asked me if I had been (and, I quote) "playing with the lipsticks." Unbelievable , she accusing me of playing with the lipsticks like I was a five year old girl. Instead of checking the tote to see if it was dirty she just accuses me! Rather, I was the one who reached over the counter, got the tote and showed it to her. It was covered in lipstick. She did not apologize and instead said she was going to clean the boxes with alcohol because any customer paying $25+ for a mascara wants it smelling like alcohol right out of the store! I, again, did what they should have done. I went and got new products. Also, she did not ask me if I wanted a 100 point sample (I had 300+ points) and did not offer me my birthday gift. When she handed me my receipt I told her that this store has the worst customer service I had ever experience. She just smiled and said "really, because we have great customer service." I did not even know what to make of this. Was she being condescending or just stupidly naive. I left and went to find my friend who had not decided upon a lipstick shade. As I was talking to her, another sales associate came to ask us how we were doing (after I had given up and made my purchase!). I told her what happen and she, I supposed, tried to make excuses by saying they were busy. And, yes, they were busy but not that busy. I have gone to other Sephoras twice as full as this one and I have always been helped or at least greeted. I recently went to the Santa Barbara Sephora and they were packed to the point of it being difficult to walk. And, they were still great and what you should expect from a Sephora! And, this is not the first time I have received such poor assistance at this particular store. The first time I came, I was not helped and I really needed assistance in finding a perfume. I had to work at just getting their attention to ask a question and wasted my time trying to find something they did not carry. After this and, a poorly packaged and damaged online order, I actually stopped shopping at Sephora for a while enough to not renew my VIB status for that year. At the end, she did apologize and offered to give me a deluxe sample, but I refused because honestly, I just wanted to get out of that awful place and did not want to wait until she came back. My friend did not find what she wanted and after I told her what happen she also just wanted to leave. I will most definitely not be back to this Sephora. And, whenever I need/want to purchase makeup near home, I will just go to Macy's since they have much better customer service and more products.
rikkie

Re: Worst Customer Service Experience Ever!

Yikes, I have seen people occasionally confuse them for garbage baskets (how? I don't know!) but I've never seen a empty one that I was hesitant to use! 

JenBlush

I think because sometimes in my sephora they put them right by the station with the mirror and pads and stuff. That is the only thing i can think of!

nebel

I'm sorry you had a bad time :smileysad:

One thing to think about- many people (myself included) hate being bothered by sales associates when we enter stores.   This is one of the things, personally, I love about Sephora-- associates are there if you need them but they mostly leave you alone.  (I actually HATE Nordstrom's beauty counters for this reason- I can't shop without being harassed)  

Obviously, the rudeness of the check-out girl is no good.  But maybe next time, go up to a sales associate and ask for help?  They might have provided it if they knew you needed them.   They might have just assumed that you were so product-savvy already you preferred to get what you were looking for yourself!

latinadiva

I agree. I'm not a fan of being followed around, truthfully because they usually end up convincing me to buy things I didn't come in to buy (nooot that I end up disliking them! I just start feeling bad and next thing you know my basket is full). I also feel like I'm in my Sephora enough for them to know I don't need help haha but I do agree that being greeted is always nice and I think as a sales associate you have to keep a close eye that you don't bombard them but when you notice they may need help, THEN you ask/offer.

prosopon

I agree, being bothered by sales associates is very annoying and avoided at all costs, but being greeted with a "Welcome" or "Hello"  and a smile is inviting and friendly.  That one word may be enough to allow a customer to feel invited to ask a question or get help if they need assistance.

Meg82

I agree.  I dislike being followed around but I like to be greeted and  maybe asked once if I need any help.  I'm pretty timid and I usually feel like I'm bothering employees when I ask for help, so I like that greeting that establishes that it's okay to ask for help.

drrragon

[ Edited ]

same here.  last time I went to the Clinique counter at Macys I had two sales associates hovering over me and suggesting products that I had tried already or wasn't interested in, then acting like I was weird when I didn't want to purchase their suggestions.  Then when I asked them to just let me browse they looked all offended.  It was so uncomfortable that I left without buying what I had gone there for.  That's one reason I prefer shopping at Sephora, they don't harrass you like the dept store beauty counters. 

keelybt

Hi Lizie I'm so sorry to hear about your experience and I would like to pass it along to the store.  I will send you a message for more information.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 28 replies
  • 44 hearts
  • 28 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • sephoramusthave
    • prosopon
    • lovelykatya
    • ginger304
    • eboneezer