What does Sephora do with used returned products?

Re: What does Sephora do with used returned products?

(0) Hearts

Isn't that what they use for in store samples?

I can now say Sephora DOES give returned and used products to other customers for resell. I just received my new Clairsonic, and it has not only been opened, but used. The brush was used, along with being broken (guessing the person didn't know how to put the brush onto the handle). I am LIVID!!! Why in the world would you send a used product, you used to clean your face, to another customer?! That's very unhygienic! What if I put that on my face, and used it. I'm just beyond upset. I'm paying for a brand NEW item, not a used item. This model is limited edition, online only (which by the way, arrived a day later than is was supposed to), and I used my 10% promo code that I can't reuse! :smileymad:

[ Edited ]

Oh I've definitely received items from the warehouse that were obvious returns like the packaging was ripped, you could see where the inner plastic shell had been opened and the items had been taken out, seals were missing. I've only ever had this happen on sale items though.

(0) Hearts

I'm going to call them tomorrow, before taking the unit to the store to return it. I'm debating about repurchasing it or not, and if I do, ask for upgraded shipping to next day, since it takes forever for them to process my orders. I also want my 10% back! I'm just so infuriated that they did that. Who ever thought that was okay needs to be reprimanded.

What?!? This has never happened to me!! I can't believe they did that! How terrible. I'm sorry 

I was told it was the shipping company's fault. That they are suppose to send it back to the company, not put it back in the warehouse. Either way, yeah it was upsetting.

(0) Hearts

Seems to be a fairly common mistake then....

I'm certain I've heard of a few others on here posting something about this as well

[ Edited ]

I'm not 100% on what they do, but I do know some locations will resell the products if they're not used. My husband went searching for the naked3 palette for me when it first came out, and every location was sold out at the time. The associate told him he could check back in a couple of days to see if someone returned one, and he could buy it. Of course he passed on that, and found one at another cosmetics store, new! I do agree, I hate the idea of wasting so much product, but I'm paying for a new item, so that's what I want. I too try my best not to return unless it truly isn't working for me.

What? You mean a makeup store lets you return 'consumables', even if you've used up the product????? How do they even make money?

(0) Hearts

Generally most stores go with a general rule (like 80% of the product must be left or mascaras must be newer than three months). They actually make more money doing this to be honest than not allowing returns. Generally,

consumers feel more comfortable trying new items when they know they can return it if they don't like it. And with Sephora's selection of amazing products, chances are consumers will love the item and keep purchasing it again. Customers also feel more loyal to Sephora. This makes up for the loss of money the company experiences when they do accept returns. This isn't a perfect world; people obviously abuse the system. But contrary to modern cynicism, the majority of customers are good honest people who would not return a product unless it was defective or did not meet their expectations as set by the packaging.

(0) Hearts

Not used up... Used and didn't work for whatever reason. (Bad skin reaction, bad color match, etc.)

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I asked this in a free standing store one time, and the SA told me that they damage out some products, ship some back to the warehouse, and put the rest in a bin. When an employee did something great (made the most sales etc), he/she gets to pick something from the bin for free as a reward!

(0) Hearts

I'm not to these threads. Will we ever get a definitive answer to akhorounjaia's question from a certified Sephora Representative?

(0) Hearts

Thanks to sephora's great policy and not to abuse it

(0) Hearts

I once tried a lipstick tester at Mac and got a sore throat half an hour later. I ended up having a HUGE canker sore at the bank of my throat that was so painful. Maybe it was a fluke that the canker sore appeared the same time I tried the tester, but somehow I think not.....

(0) Hearts

I generally like to do my research and poke around before buying a product, to make sure I do want to purchase it. I will read online, watch videos, look at reviews & then make it a point to go in store & look at the product and get a sample if I can to see if my skin has any weird reactions to the product. I have a Sephora store really close to me though, so I can see how some people don't have access to be able to do all this. I've had to return some stuff that I purchased in store & have had both good & bad experiences in doing so. I am not sure how Sephora handles returns, I've heard that they return them to the brand in question and I've also heard that they just trash them. I'd just say be mindful of returns! (:

Another tip if you are trying to be conscious about your returns…if at all possible return your item from the same place you bought it! If you return an item you bought at a freestanding store to a SiJCP and it's not something they carry (think of all the brands and items that you can't always find at the JCP stores), it goes into the trash even if it's untouched and must be destroyed first. Even fragrace sets. Even hair dryers. Even $500 Tria Lasers. Not to mention that it hurts the employees of that store because each return takes away from their sales goal and potential bonus. If you return to the same store, it's understandable, but it's kind of sucky to cross-return. Just my .02!

I'm sorry, you are incorrect. Employees throw NOTHING is thrown away, it is sorted into different categories. What can't be resold is shipped back to the warehouse; I'm not sure where in the world you heard Sephora throws away $500 hair dryers because it was returned lol.

(0) Hearts

Shapeshifter actually is correct.  The items that can't be resold are shipped off to where they are disposed of.  When I first started working at Sephora, there were several brands that did take returns back and those were shipped back to their warehouses, but by the end of my time there, there were only a couple of brands that still did that.  Everything else was destroyed and sent off.  The only thing that was different for my store from what shapeshifter said is that we were able to resell items that my store did not carry (if they were unused of course).  Maybe it's just different between JCP stores and freestanding stores. 

That's not true though.

The returns are broken into three bins: Liquidator, processing, and reticket. The items all get sent somewhere, or if it's never been used and we sell it (mostly a lot of gift items) then it gets reticketed to go back onto the floor. We can't just throw anything in the trash. Now what happens after they get shipped off to their designated places I have no idea, but nothing gets tossed or destroyed after it leaves your hands and into ours. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats