akhorounjaia

What does Sephora do with used returned products?

kayrachael

Re: What does Sephora do with used returned products?

If it is something that is in a pump, tube or lightly touched palette; it does get made into a tester. Anything like eyeliners or mascaras go right in the trash. Fragrances are also kept for testers. I work at Sephora and a tear always comes to my eye when I see all the beautiful makeup being thrown out.

rose88

(0) Hearts

I've had SAs recommend I buy something and just return it when I was hesitant; they said that they would turn the returned product into a tester. However, I try not to return things if possible and rarely do. But sometimes you have to. Most recently I had to return a perfume because even though the tester was fine, after buying the full bottle it started to give me severe migraines. I assume that was made into a tester since hygiene wouldn't be an issue.

AlisG

My mom went in to Sephora and asked just that question when someone told her "if it doesn't work out for you, just return it!"... She was told that they use the returned used items as the in store testers.. I was happy to hear that they don't waste.. but that kind of grossed me out a bit since you don't know where the used products could have been. 

emmaclaire

I get where you're coming from, but those testers are really gross even if they weren't previously purchased.  I have seen people do the most vile stuff to them, and therefore only use them to swatch on my hand fairly quickly before removing and sanitizing my hand.

BuxomBabe80

I'm the same way! No matter how they are sanitized, I'd never put a product on my lips/face that's in a tester.

AlisG

I know.. I always think of it like backwashing or something... Even if it's something that you don't dip into or not bacteria can just seep into it because it's soft and porous.. I've taken a few samples from them.. But I really try not to.. Especially when I read about that girl who tried on a lipstick and got coldsores. blech. LOL I might just be making it worse. :/

emmy89

[ Edited ]

I haaate returning and wasting products. However I don`t have easy access to Sephora stores, and even the closest ones don`t carry all of the brands they sell online. I also live in Quebec, Canada and for a lot of brands Sephora is the only store where I can get them.

So whenever I have no option but to buy a new product online, I will do my research, look at swatches and videos before ordering. And if I can get a sample online for free or trading my points, I will.

For lipsticks, eyeshadow palettes, value sets and small purchases, even if I am not happy with it, I will not return. I will end up giving it to somebody. But as I have a very limited budget and income, I can not afford of spending my money trying everything and giving away. Recently I bought the Nars radiant concealer and the Bobbi Brown corrector. The Nars one I had to swatch and the color was slightly orange for me, but since I tried it I did not return it. But the Bobbi Brown one, as soon as I opened the box I saw the color was off, so I left the product untouched as it came and took it back to the store. At the same time I swatched a few products I was thinking of buying so next time I know what to order.

I don`t like taking advantage of the return policy, because I feel like most of the time, if we are careful we can avoid having to return a product. I would have no problems whatsoever returning products that caused me allergies or bad reaction. But that hasn`t happened to me since I stopped buying drugstore skincare and face makeup, and I also always read reviews of people with similar skin type as mine before purchasing anything.

BuxomBabe80

I would add that I don't have a problem per se with returning products that are new and unused. I have purchased things online and even though I checked the swatches online, when I received it, it just didn't work for me. So I don't really feel guilty about returning unopened things. I should note that. :smileywink:

AlisG

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Working in retail, people who return unopened things are never really a bad thing because it's no money lost and you can resell it. So you shouldn't feel bad :smileyhappy:

BuxomBabe80

(0) Hearts

I don't feel bad about returning unopened, new products because those can be resold. But used stuff, yeah I feel a bit guilty. 

etscore1

(0) Hearts

It's so easy for people to say "If you don't like it, just return it!" I can't even count how many times I've seen those exact words are posted on this board. Heck, posts get deleted for bad words, but this mindset is way worse than any curse word and way more damaging every time it gets propagated.

While Sephora's return policy is generous, it's not designed to be a safety net for reckless purchasing, or customers not doing their due diligence.

eliu8108

(0) Hearts

I try not to return so often but I have had more SAs actually push me to purchase rather than get a sample first. I've been told countless times that if I don't like it, to come back and return it. In fact, just this past weekend, I was actually told to keep coming back, try different products until I find one that I like, and it's fine if I keep returning. I thought that was a little overboard and not anything I would do, but I imagine if I was told that, many other people must have been told that as well.

While I do my research for almost everything I purchase, I'm sure if a customer is told every time they visit a store to purchase and return if they don't like it rather than being offered a sample, that is what he/she will do. Then again, it could also be the stores I happen to visit.

BuxomBabe80

(0) Hearts

I agree with many of the comments in this thread. I rarely return an item to Sephora. I do a lot of research before purchasing expensive products and skincare products. Because my local Sephora doesn't stock all brands I purchase from, I do a lot of research (read reviews, look at swatches, look on YouTube for reviews, etc.) prior to purchasing. I don't buy foundations off the web site unless I've been swatched or use the Color IQ system and know that I'm 99% sure the foundation will match my skin color/tone. 

There are times where I purchase something and try it and hate it even though a lot of other people rave about it. This happened for me with the Bite Beauty Deconstructed Rose lip gloss set. I tried several of the colors, but I didn't like the formula or the smell and the lighter colors were so un-pigmented that it looked like I applied a clear gloss on my lips, which aren't even that pigmented. So I exchanged it for the TF Chocolate Bar palette, which I knew I would like.

I think I return maybe 1-3 items a year at most from Sephora. I actually feel guilty about returning used products, but I will return something if I know it absolutely won't work for me and it's something I can't give to my daughter. 

I agree that a lot of people just buy things on a whim and don't do due diligence to find out if they'll actually like the product, but to each her (or his) own I suppose.

ChenChen2003

(0) Hearts

They said they would trash them, who knows? I got an used lipstick, and when I called, they sound like I made it up.

jisub89

It would be nice if we all try to practice a bit more restraint when purchasing beauty products. I often see members on BT try to justify returning products that total to hundreds of dollars because they spend thousands of dollars during their impulsive shopping spree. I always do extensive research on makeupalley, paula's choice, blogs, etc. and try to get samples if I can before I purchase a new product so the chances of my having to return an item is as slim as possible. This mentality/approach has worked well for me as I have only returned three items to Sephora since I started shopping here eight years ago. 

MlleCC

[ Edited ]

I've heard the official answer that returned products aren't re-sold, but when I was recently in a Sephora to pick up the Caudalie Hand and Body Duo from this past holiday season that recently went on sale, I saw that there was one on the shelf that was stapled shut.  I've seen this set at various Sephoras and at Space NK where it was also available, and all are sealed with clear stickers.  I'm positive that the stapled one didn't come from the factory that way, and it was a bit concerning to see it on the shelf for sale.

LisaSPN

I just got an Urban Decay Naked 2 palette today by mail. It was used. I am really disappointed. I will definitely return it. And maybe, i won't shop at sephora.com any more. 

SirenPrincess

Was it used or did it have a fingerprint mark in it?  Urban Decay is notorious for having these fingerprint marks in their palettes.  It's from the workers who make them placing the pans.  UD says they wear gloves so they are sanitary.  I've seen quite a few people post about this issue.

starsandbucks

When I got my Naked 3 palette (by mail from Ulta) it had a finger smudge in it. I read many, many instances of others finding the same things in their palettes. I sanitized it and decided to forget about it. I could tell it hadn't been actually used and returning didn't seem worth the hassle. Your explanation makes a lot of sense. 

janinebt

Hi ladies! Thanks MGJM!

Hygiene is key in the cosmetics world. Most of our stores either destroy or make products into testers, things that cannot be contaminated...like hair spray.

Items that you receive in the mail should be brand new. If you get something that is not up to your standard please reach out to me or one of the other mods. Thanks.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 40 replies
  • 48 hearts
  • 30 in conversation
    • kalex
    • emmaclaire
    • lilyyy
    • janinebt