akhorounjaia

What does Sephora do with used returned products?

czikimonkey

Re: What does Sephora do with used returned products?

(0) Hearts

Just curious--why wouldn't other things be used as testers also? For example--a lipstick. You've got lipsticks as testers in the store, and obviously people use those to try out colors, and I'm sure some people use them in unsanitary ways (without using alcohol first, for example). Just wondering as it does seem like such a waste! 

laurennnlove

(0) Hearts

lipsticks cannot be used as a tester because you have put your mouth on it.  while in the store, you use a disposable lip wand to get product off the the lipstick.  

Alygal90

Probably because that would be a huge liability for a company.

MGJM

Sorry ladies...I don't know why my computer is not allowing me to respond to your actual comments. 

Kalex and Katty- It's very possible that the SA that said that everything gets destroyed really didn't know what she was talking about. There is a very specific way of handling the returns, and not all of the associates know the procedure.  The only reason I know is because I was the one that always scanned them out.  Also, maybe not all stores do the same thing.  All I know is that when I came across a return that was barely used, I would turn it into a tester (this was mainly skincare, foundations, concealers, the occasional palette if it was almost untouched, etc). 

Jcmb-I have no idea how warehouse returns get processed, but it sounds like someone didn't do their job when they put that palette back into their inventory.  But yes...sadly, everything else gets trashed.  You have no idea how sad I was throwing so many things away.  However, when dealing with cosmetics, hygiene is a priority.  I'd rather throw things out than risk someone's health.

angie8899

[ Edited ]

I feel sad that most of the returned products get destroyed, especially the expensive ones.  I think the store should make them into testers if possible, or donate the lightly used, not contaminated products to charities --- I know there are charities that collect skincare and cosmetic products for homeless women. 

I think we all should try to be a responsible shopper -- only buy things that you are almost certain will work for you, and if you are not sure, request a sample at the store first. I hate to see products get wasted, while many women in other parts of the world don't get the luxury of using skincare and cosmetic products. 

BuxomBabe80

(0) Hearts

I absolutely love the idea of donating products to a women's charity. There's a lot of groups like Dress for Success that help women dress for interviews. I would imagine makeup could be a key to help with finding a job. Something to consider!

jcmb

I received an obviously used Urban Decay Naked palette via mail order. It looked like it had been poorly "cleaned up" and naturally I returned it. After that I started to wonder how many products I've received that have been used  before. How can you tell with a lipgloss that doesn't come factory sealed for example? But I can't imagine all the returned items get trashed. That seems sad...lol, the thought of throwing out cosmetics makes me sad! Ha ha! There must be some use for them...

MGJM

I worked at a Sephora for 2 years, and products such as cleansers, pump moisturizers, hair products, foundations (and basically anything that the person could not stick their fingers into) would most likely be turned into a tester.  There are a few brands that get sent back to the manufacturers, and the rest is thrown out. 

kalex

(0) Hearts

I hope that's the practice company wide.  I was pretty upset when the SA told me everything that's been used gets destroyed.  I even asked her why they don't turn certain products (like the ones you mentioned) into testers and she said something about liability reasons.

Katty2323

(0) Hearts

Well, if there is one thing we know for certain.. it's that the information they give us should be taken with a grain of salt and not taken too seriously.

kalex

(0) Hearts

No kidding!  I can't remember how long ago it was that I asked either.  Equally possible that the policy has changed or the SA didn't know what she was talking about!

Katty2323

when I returned a sephora pro brush the other day because it was loose the associate turned to the associate next to her and asked her if she had a good blender brush yet for her belt and handed it to her so I do think there is some level of reusing going on

LindaDD

I think some of the in-store returns are used as testers.

warriorwitch

I am sure they ship it back to the manufacturer where it can probably be reused/reconstituted.  Lip colors can be remelted down (at temperatures more than sufficient to kill bacteria), packaging recycled, perfumes rebottled. I am sure that the people who are on the profit making side of the industry do their best to ensure their losses are as few as possible.

shapeshifter

(0) Hearts

My dad used to work for a waste management company...one of the most dangerous disposal items he dealt with  were those awful body sprays from VS and bath&body works, etc...they would catch fire all the time! Most cosmetics and perfumes have to be handled as hazardous waste. I can assure you there is VERY little recycling going on.

lilyyy

NO. This does NOT happen. They are definitely not melting down used lipstick to make new ones, that is disgusting. Not to mention that often the company is not the manufacturer, they are two different facilities entirely.

There are so many production laws in existence that what you are saying is definitely not true.

Panda168

(0) Hearts

I am pretty sure almost everything gets tossed

lilyyy

(0) Hearts

Back in my teenage years, I briefly worked for a drugstore. All returned, opened, and damaged cosmetics were returned to [???] and the store got credit. I was only a lowly cashier so I'm not exactly sure who, maybe the manufacturer or corporate? We definitely did not toss them.

LuckyWinter

(0) Hearts

My guess is that it goes to waste :smileysad: because obviously keeping them would not be hygienic

kalex

I asked that once and was told the products are destroyed.  I try not to return for that reason - it's so wasteful.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 40 replies
  • 48 hearts
  • 30 in conversation
    • kalex
    • emmaclaire
    • lilyyy
    • janinebt
    • akhorounjaia
    • rose88