What does Sephora do with used returned products?

Re: What does Sephora do with used returned products?

[ Edited ]

I'm not 100% on what they do, but I do know some locations will resell the products if they're not used. My husband went searching for the naked3 palette for me when it first came out, and every location was sold out at the time. The associate told him he could check back in a couple of days to see if someone returned one, and he could buy it. Of course he passed on that, and found one at another cosmetics store, new! I do agree, I hate the idea of wasting so much product, but I'm paying for a new item, so that's what I want. I too try my best not to return unless it truly isn't working for me.

(0) Hearts

What? You mean a makeup store lets you return 'consumables', even if you've used up the product????? How do they even make money?

(0) Hearts

Not used up... Used and didn't work for whatever reason. (Bad skin reaction, bad color match, etc.)

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I asked this in a free standing store one time, and the SA told me that they damage out some products, ship some back to the warehouse, and put the rest in a bin. When an employee did something great (made the most sales etc), he/she gets to pick something from the bin for free as a reward!

(0) Hearts

I'm not to these threads. Will we ever get a definitive answer to akhorounjaia's question from a certified Sephora Representative?

(0) Hearts

Thanks to sephora's great policy and not to abuse it

(0) Hearts

I once tried a lipstick tester at Mac and got a sore throat half an hour later. I ended up having a HUGE canker sore at the bank of my throat that was so painful. Maybe it was a fluke that the canker sore appeared the same time I tried the tester, but somehow I think not.....

(0) Hearts

I generally like to do my research and poke around before buying a product, to make sure I do want to purchase it. I will read online, watch videos, look at reviews & then make it a point to go in store & look at the product and get a sample if I can to see if my skin has any weird reactions to the product. I have a Sephora store really close to me though, so I can see how some people don't have access to be able to do all this. I've had to return some stuff that I purchased in store & have had both good & bad experiences in doing so. I am not sure how Sephora handles returns, I've heard that they return them to the brand in question and I've also heard that they just trash them. I'd just say be mindful of returns! (:

Another tip if you are trying to be conscious about your returns…if at all possible return your item from the same place you bought it! If you return an item you bought at a freestanding store to a SiJCP and it's not something they carry (think of all the brands and items that you can't always find at the JCP stores), it goes into the trash even if it's untouched and must be destroyed first. Even fragrace sets. Even hair dryers. Even $500 Tria Lasers. Not to mention that it hurts the employees of that store because each return takes away from their sales goal and potential bonus. If you return to the same store, it's understandable, but it's kind of sucky to cross-return. Just my .02!

I'm sorry, you are incorrect. Employees throw NOTHING is thrown away, it is sorted into different categories. What can't be resold is shipped back to the warehouse; I'm not sure where in the world you heard Sephora throws away $500 hair dryers because it was returned lol.

(0) Hearts

Shapeshifter actually is correct.  The items that can't be resold are shipped off to where they are disposed of.  When I first started working at Sephora, there were several brands that did take returns back and those were shipped back to their warehouses, but by the end of my time there, there were only a couple of brands that still did that.  Everything else was destroyed and sent off.  The only thing that was different for my store from what shapeshifter said is that we were able to resell items that my store did not carry (if they were unused of course).  Maybe it's just different between JCP stores and freestanding stores. 

That's not true though.

The returns are broken into three bins: Liquidator, processing, and reticket. The items all get sent somewhere, or if it's never been used and we sell it (mostly a lot of gift items) then it gets reticketed to go back onto the floor. We can't just throw anything in the trash. Now what happens after they get shipped off to their designated places I have no idea, but nothing gets tossed or destroyed after it leaves your hands and into ours. 

That's great to know shapeshifter!  I've always wondered about returning items a store doesn't carry and sadly the answer is it gets trashed Smiley Sad  I'm so glad I rarely return!

OOps I'm super late to the conversation but RTV (return to vendor) is the key here. We would label and damage out the returned items and then send them back to their family company Smiley Sad Nothing used or purchased before would go back onto the stage!

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana

Honestly, it's really fine to return stuff that you tried in good faith and it just isn't making you happy. This is the luxury market, I have SUPER hight expectations of what a product that I'm paying premium prices for is doing, and so do most luxury retail employees. I would never blink if a customer I recognized came in to return something for that reason that they bought from our store, but it does get a little sad when people who NEVER shop in the store just come to make all their online returns becasue they don't feel like waiting 5 weeks for the refund. I mean, I get that, too, but it's super hard when people are unaware and are returning UNUSED $$$ items that get trashed and come out of the store sales goal. I'm not working at Sephora anymore (started school again) so I can say it now (o:

Wait, so you are saying that the stuff I bought from sephora online store, I shouldn't return them to the store but mail to the warehouse because sephora store just tosses everything including unused?

(0) Hearts

I agree with one of the previous comments on this thread. I ALWAYS do extensive research on sites that review beauty products because 1.) I don't want to waste the time or money on something I can't use, since I have a limited budget 2.) i have really sensitive skin that reacts badly to a wide range of products.Here's an example. Recently I ordered the boscia restorative day cream spf 15. It came unused, beautiful packaging, but it was so greasy and it really irritated my skin. By morning, my face was bright red and it was sensitive to the touch! (I will be sticking with Clinique products from now on.) That is what I really love about Sephora. They don't pressure you into keeping things that you really can't use. When I try to return products at a regular department store counter they act like I'm making it up! Even with my beloved Clinique products, the SA at the Clinique counter will always be really rude/hesitant to give me a refund. Plus, Sephora prices are so much more competitive. So glad that Sephora carries Clinique products so I never have to go without. Smiley Happy

If it is something that is in a pump, tube or lightly touched palette; it does get made into a tester. Anything like eyeliners or mascaras go right in the trash. Fragrances are also kept for testers. I work at Sephora and a tear always comes to my eye when I see all the beautiful makeup being thrown out.

I've had SAs recommend I buy something and just return it when I was hesitant; they said that they would turn the returned product into a tester. However, I try not to return things if possible and rarely do. But sometimes you have to. Most recently I had to return a perfume because even though the tester was fine, after buying the full bottle it started to give me severe migraines. I assume that was made into a tester since hygiene wouldn't be an issue.

My mom went in to Sephora and asked just that question when someone told her "if it doesn't work out for you, just return it!"... She was told that they use the returned used items as the in store testers.. I was happy to hear that they don't waste.. but that kind of grossed me out a bit since you don't know where the used products could have been. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats