soswald

The Woes of a Broke College Student

I'm so annoyed. I'm low on cash this week and I was willing to return an unopened item I purchased from Sephora last week just to have a little cash and I'll repurchase later. I went to return the item and she said she's have to give a giftcard back because my debit card was swiped as credit. I wasn't conscious of the "credit" purchase at the time but I'm so stinkin' frustrated.

Sorry had to vent somewhere!

mdelrosario91

Re: The Woes of a Broke College Student

(0) Hearts

I agree with everyone else that that is completely strange and shady. Even if there was an issue with crediting your bank account (which doesn't happen too often), they could still give you your refund via cash, not store credit. 

AlwaysGlamorous

[ Edited ]

**GROUP CHANT** call the store! Call the store! Call The Store! CALL THE STORE! **GROUP CHANT**

[And remember: when trying to get your way, use please/thank you and be as courteous as possible! You always attract more bees with honey and I've learned this the hard way.]

thesupergirl

(0) Hearts

That doesn't sound right, I think you need to contact the manager.

shapeshifter

I actually just learned about this today, because banks will put a very long hold (usually around 2 weeks) on funds from a refund on a debit card. For our store, it doesnt matter how it was run, if you used a debit card we give you cash or a gift card because customers would blame the retailer for the hold up, not the bank. 

A tip for the future, you can almost always be issued cash for a return, no matter how you paid. As long as you arent doing it over and over and get flagged, if you really need cash from a return, demand it (politely!). If the SA tells you they can't, ask for a manager and explain the situation. 

Missie772

(0) Hearts

No worries- vent away! :smileyhappy:

But that is odd- I had no idea if you swiped something as credit (on your debit card) that you would be given a gift card instead of the money back to your checking account. I am so sorry! But thank you for letting us all know about it!

As for being short on cash- maybe reach out to a few people and lend your expertise. My friend is a slob (putting it nicely) and I offered my services to help her organize and clean out her closet. We got to have fun together and I got a bit of extra cash. Also you can try to donate plasma (it hurts I heard- too scared of needles to try it!) and they will pay you for it. Or try to sell something that you don't need to friends or on Craigslist! :smileyhappy:

jxw200

(0) Hearts

Btw, i've definitely gotten the credit back to my debit card whether i used my pin or did credit! I'm sorry this happened and i'm so annoyed for you!! 

missey1973

If you think you are poor now, just wait until you have kids!!! HAHA

kellsmuneoka

(0) Hearts

I'm so poor at the moment. My mom doesn't support my addiction to Sephora or makeup for that matter, so I have 14 dollars....I NEED A JOB UGH. I'm in high school so at least you don't have someone nagging you about how you spend your money.

dianabt

Hi soswald, 

I'm sorry to hear that! The cast member still could have given you the refund back to your original card and not the gift card. If you can, call the store and maybe speak to a team lead or manager who can possibly help and replace that back for you. 

My apologies! 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
Heatoyos1

I'm sorry that you had that experience. :smileysad: I know how it is to be a poor college student, especially through graduate school. Unfortunately, I was pretty poor after finishing school, as well. 

I am now in a low-buy period because I accepted a job with less pay than I was getting before, but the pay will increase after six months and it is in my career field. 

You might be broke right now, but it will not always be that way. Good luck to you!

MlleCC

If you had a receipt for the purchase, the money should have been refunded back on your debit card regardless of how your card was processed. I would have asked to speak with a manager about this, as I've met SAs who had tried way too hard to force me to take store credit for random reasons. Sorry that this happened to you! :smileysad:

BrennaBombshell

(0) Hearts

That is no fun, been there!! You could always sell the gift card, if you're hurting for money. You may not get full price, but it's fast cash.

sp2001

(0) Hearts

Hmmm... This sounds wrong. Not like morally wrong, but like someone gave you wrong information.

Blackwhiskey

(0) Hearts

When this happened to me, I got my money back in my card. Although, the only time I got a gift card after a return was when I used the JCPenney card for purchase and went to return it at the actual Sephora. But yeah, with my normal bank card it was deposited in my bank account 3 days later. 

ireneh

Have you looked into being a research participant at your local university? Chances are, they ALWAYS need participants in research studies. Some of the studies will pay you for your time. I got $10 for hula hooping once and I was also in a longitudinal-type study that paid me over $700 for various tests and stuff throughout the year.

jxw200

(0) Hearts

Yes! I used to do this and a lot of times it was just an hour or whatever to take surveys. I recall having to eat M&Ms in one of them lolol. Also, check the marketing department as well! :smileyhappy: 

manniface

(0) Hearts

I second this- check out the physiology dept or even the economics dept.

katie1724

[ Edited ]

That shouldn't happen -- if your debit card is used as credit (and as long as you had your receipt), you should still be able to get the money back as credit (it just takes 2-3 days to show up in your account). If that ever happens again, I would ask to speak to a manager. 

irenet

Sorry for that. I remember one time I was so broke that I donated blood plasma just to have cash. It was pretty good, the first week they gave $50, the second and third was $25, and the fourth was $75.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 23 hearts
  • 19 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • jxw200
    • dianabt
    • Missie772
    • manniface
    • AlwaysGlamorous