cefrd13

Since when is a packing slip not a receipt?

I hate to be one of those people who say I'm never shopping at Sephora again Blah blah blah. But I have just had the most HORRID experience at my local SIJCP store. I recently bought the Kat Von D lock it tattoo foundation online (42 no longer available in stores). Needless to say this foundation did not play nice with my dry skin so I headed to my local sephora packing slip in hand to return/find something different. However the associate wouldn't let me do it!! She was so snotty and rude to me I almost cried right there at checkout. I gave her my reciept and the foundation (still in the box) and she asked for my license and proceeded to tell me it wouldn't accept my return because I have returned too many items with no receipt.(she was acting so superior like I was some kind of clepto or scum of the earth) What?? Imagine my confusion because 1. I did in fact have my receipt in hand and 2. I have never returned something without the packing slip. She proceeded to inform me that the PACKING SLIP IS NOT A RECIEPT and therefore had to be processed as a return with no reciept. SInce I am not near a free standing sephora every online order I return goes back to this SIJCP store. SO needless to say I was unable to complete the return. I was so humiliated I turned and high tailed it out of there and didn't even get to redeem my $15 off of $50 that expires today. Up until now I have been a loyal Sephora customerr because of their generous return policy and I could have confidence that if I ordered something online and the product didn't work for me I could bring it back. Apparently is no longer the case..... Sorry for the super long rant, but I'm just so upset right now :smileysad:

ireneh

Re: Since when is a packing slip not a receipt?

(0) Hearts

Did not realize this. Thanks for letting me know.

I knew he could process the return to my CC but I couldn't tell him HOW so I just let the sales associate do it however he wanted. Maybe I'll be more insistent next time!

reflectsgold

(0) Hearts

yikes. they really need to streamline their processes across ALL channels. i returned an item using the email receipt with no issues at my store. 

jxw200

[ Edited ]

i read another thread where the same thing happened! Apparently, SiJCP wasn't able to accept online returns, so they had been processing them as no receipt returns for a while. Because of that, the person who started the other thread also was unable to return cause they were flagged in the system too. 

I tried to find the thread but I don't recall the name of it. From what I recall, a mod confirmed that SiJCP should be updating their processes so that you should now be able to make online returns. (Perhaps the associate just didn't know how? That's happened to me frequently) 

Like someone else mentioned, you can always send it back and get it returned that way. It wouldn't count as a no receipt return that way, and you won't be refused

OH also, when I've heard other people have been banned from returning, there is a number you can call for the 3rd party company that moderates that. I think I read in the other thread that if you can prove you have the receipts or whatever, they can unflag you from the system? 

shinybananas

That's really weird.  I returned something today that I ordered online without the packing slip; I just showed them the order from the website on my iPhone.  It was no problem, and shouldn't be a problem.

Honestly, if I were you I'd do two things.  Email customer support, and/or (even better) get on social media and tell your story.  It usually nets the quickest response.  Companies don't like when people complain in a public forum.  I suppose that's a commentary on how corporate runs the chain of command and prioritizes, but that's the way it is.

Good luck to you.  That is serious BS and shouldn't have happened in the first place.

cefrd13

I did exaclty that! I posted the same thing on facebook and immediately someone told my I wouls be contacted by retail support. Thank you!

BeautyLove02

I'm so sorry this happened to you! Now I'm nervous because I was thinking about returning my Naked 3 I ordered online. I hope it works out for you. Not all Sephora's are like that...SJCP seems especially harsh from what I've heard. Maybe next time, print out the document like wingatprsct suggested. Although it does seem like a pain to go to the library or Kinko's to use the printer if you don't already have one :/  I think I will print out the receipt if I decide to return the Naked3...especially after your story.

jxw200

(0) Hearts

you shouldn't have a problem with the packing slip if you go to a free standing sephora :smileyhappy: 

1Emily

(0) Hearts

Could you send it back through the mail??

wingatprsct

I'm sorry you had a bad experience.  But just to be clear to others, a packing slip is never a receipt.  If you make an online order, you get an order confirmation email that is your receipt.  When you return items purchased online at a store, you need to print this document as your receipt.  This is not just Sephora policy but any store's policy.

reflectsgold

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

that is not true. for example, with Nordstrom you can either use the packing slip or the email or even your payment method to make the return.

with ulta, they ask for the order confirmation email AND the packing slip to make an online return in store. 

cefrd13

According to Seohora.com return policy it says that you need to bring in your packing slip/return form. If what you said is true, I wish someone along the lines would've mentioned this to me instead of just processing it without a receipt.

leopardstars

[ Edited ]

buzzbee3

I think the only reason they needed the email receipt is because they needed to know what she paid for it. If she had gone to a Freestanding Sephora they could have returned it no problem with just the packing slip because their system is able to scan the barcode on the bottom of the slip. The problem with SiJCP is even tho they're are technically "Sephora", they have JCP computer system which doesn't allow them to scan that barcode, and if they don't carry that item, it isn't in the system for them to look up a price.

The sales girl should have handled the situation much better than she did. They're still able to return the items, it would just take longer then usual because she would have to find out the price of each item (BI hotline/Sephora online). And it would have to be returned without a receipt (with a code put in to avoid you becoming flagged) because there is still no way to scan the receipt at SiJCP.

mychoi

hmm... i have never heard of that before :smileytongue:

whenever return things i bought online to a store (i've never returned through mail before) they ask for the packing slip, which i assume is the receipt.  They have never asked for anything else.  I was wondering, if you need to print out the receipt for the order confirmation email, you can print as many copies of that as you want, so there would be problems with scams and such.  The packing slip is letterheaded by sephora and hard to duplicate.  

lilyyy

I have shown my phone with the email confirmation for a return at Sephora.

mychoi

(0) Hearts

oh wow i didnt know you could do that! :smileyhappy:

jxw200

I've done it too, though every once in a while the cashier doesn't know what to do and i have to be like... "type in this order number once you select dot com return!!!" lol

mychoi

(0) Hearts

you know you have a sephora problem when you have to school the cashiers

jxw200

RIGHT??? sheesh. thank goodness i am patient and also very observant lol

wingatprsct

Your order confirmation gives not only the order number, but how much you paid for the item.  This is what they really need to know.  You may have purchased an item on sale and now it is back at full price.  Yes, you could reprint as many order confirmations as you want, but the item you purchased and are returning has a specific bar code and lot number which would be hard to duplicate.

mychoi

i'm not trying to argue with you in any way but this is what it says on the back of the paper:

• visit any free standing sephora store to retunr your items
  • please bring your order summary and return form with you, as well as the credit card you use to place your order
  • if you pruchase with your JCPenney credit card, please return your items inside JCPenney store.

the note about "free standing sephoras" might be the reason why returns at JCPenney are so difficult, but that doesnt give them a right to belittle their customers.

i've done my significant share of returns in the past.  i purchase almost everything on the website so all my receipts are packing papers. All items i've ever bought at sale price and returned was refunded in the sale amount. no more, no less.  There are barcodes on the packing papers that they scan so you can't scam them out of money you didnt pay.  

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 52 replies
  • 73 hearts
  • 29 in conversation
    • eadelaide1
    • killahbabe
    • reflectsgold
    • marydiva
    • jxw200
    • tracygirl64