cefrd13

Since when is a packing slip not a receipt?

I hate to be one of those people who say I'm never shopping at Sephora again Blah blah blah. But I have just had the most HORRID experience at my local SIJCP store. I recently bought the Kat Von D lock it tattoo foundation online (42 no longer available in stores). Needless to say this foundation did not play nice with my dry skin so I headed to my local sephora packing slip in hand to return/find something different. However the associate wouldn't let me do it!! She was so snotty and rude to me I almost cried right there at checkout. I gave her my reciept and the foundation (still in the box) and she asked for my license and proceeded to tell me it wouldn't accept my return because I have returned too many items with no receipt.(she was acting so superior like I was some kind of clepto or scum of the earth) What?? Imagine my confusion because 1. I did in fact have my receipt in hand and 2. I have never returned something without the packing slip. She proceeded to inform me that the PACKING SLIP IS NOT A RECIEPT and therefore had to be processed as a return with no reciept. SInce I am not near a free standing sephora every online order I return goes back to this SIJCP store. SO needless to say I was unable to complete the return. I was so humiliated I turned and high tailed it out of there and didn't even get to redeem my $15 off of $50 that expires today. Up until now I have been a loyal Sephora customerr because of their generous return policy and I could have confidence that if I ordered something online and the product didn't work for me I could bring it back. Apparently is no longer the case..... Sorry for the super long rant, but I'm just so upset right now :smileysad:

Ashley2323

Re: Since when is a packing slip not a receipt?

(0) Hearts

A few months ago I tried to return an item at a JCP Sephora that I had purchased online about a week prior (I had the full receipt and delivery slip, I even had the box that the product originally came in); they told me that they DO NOT do returns from online orders at all; even if I have a receipt; that I have to take it to a regular Sephora store. 

I then asked if I could just get store credit and the answer was NO, and that I had to travel to a regular Sephora if I wanted to return it or even get store credit.  At first I thought Sephora had made some changes to their return policy so I was very hesitant to purchase anything at all, but reading all these posts I know I'm not alone. 

They really need to change this,  I can return and/or exchange any opened or unopened makeup products at any drugstore with absolutely no problem with or without receipt; and for the price I'm paying at Sephora it should be better than this.

linetteann

(0) Hearts

this happened to me today at a JCP Sephora. Totally mortified. I typically do my online Sephora purchase returns at JCP Sephora...had no idea that even though I was always returning with my receipt/packing list that they were all still being categorized as returns w/o receipt. (They have scanned my DL every time.)  Ugh. 

DiVWA

Wow, I'm pretty new to this forum and this is the first I've heard about what's going on with returns at Sephora at JCP. My impression is that part of the problem is that Sephora has signed up with a fraud-control type service called Retail Equation that purports to detect and prevent return fraud and abuse.

The problem with Sephora signing up for this is that it has freestanding and online stores that cannot communicate fully with JCP ones, except in regards to membership numbers. Every time that I've ever bought something from Sephora online or from its freestanding store, and then returned to my local Sephora in JCP, the return cannot be processed normally in the sense that the transaction could be immediately reversed. Instead, it has to be treated as if there is no receipt, because the part of the system dealing with returns at the JCP Sephora doesn't "talk" to the parts of the system relating to freestanding/online Sephora. The SA at JCP Sephora therefore always (in my experience) has to ask for ID to process as a return w/o receipt. However, this obvious flaw in the Sephora/JCP system should not be used against the customer by contracting with a "fraud/abuse" company like Retail Equation!

It appears that someone at corporate office at Sephora is unaware of the communication flaws in its JCP and online/freestanding interface, and that using Retail Equation will flag legitimate returns as fraud/abuse. This is a PR problem that will only get worse until someone higher up realizes his/her mistake.

I will come into my local JCP Sephora armed with email receipts and packing receipts, but I think that there will be a point where I won't frequent the JCP Sephora at all until this Retail Equation control is removed. There is always Nordstrom and other stores that know how to treat their customers.

shapeshifter

Hey there,

I've recently started working at a SiJCP and while I'm sure there have been some mistakes made at times, one of the first things I was trained on was to NOT scan drivers licenses for online or freestanding returns. Every SiJCP is supposed to put the store number as the drivers license number so that it doesn't count against the customer as a return without receipt. We will enter your name from the license, but not the number, and that information is not being sent to any fraud prevention, it's treated as a return with receipt. It doesn't hurt to verify with the SA that he/she understands that they are not to enter your DL# into the system because you have a receipt, just incase they don't understand.

DiVWA

(0) Hearts

Good to know. I haven't really paid attention to what exactly the SA was doing with my DL when I have handed it to him/her. I thought it was to verify my identity but now I wonder. I'll be sure to make sure they're entering my name and not the license number but rather the store number.

Mikaylita

This happened to me today, too.

I work at SiJCP and if I ever buy something from a free standing sephora that doesn't work out, I return it at my work for convenience. Since I know, as an employee, that free standing receipts don't really mean anything in SiJCP, I never bother to bring them. Everything becomes non-receipted to save my coworkers the time (rather than doing 3 separate returns, just do 1 non-receipt, right?).

Nobody ever told me this system was in place so when I tried to return a bronzer today, I got a slip telling me that I was no longer allowed to make returns. And this happened right in front of my manager, I was so embarrassed! I'm worried that now my coworkers think I'm some kind of serial returner. I can show my buying history on my beauty insider account, but the damage is done...

And all because I was trying to same time.

shapeshifter

Wow, I just read this, maybe you want to talk to your manager about how they process the returns! I was told right from the start that we don't enter the DL# during a receipted return! If someone didn't bring a receipt though, I would process it as a regular return without receipt! It's an honest mistake, it's not like the policies between Sephora and JCP are totally understandable to us. 

veryhappy2222

On November 3rd, I tried to return a gift and was rejected due to having several other returns just before this one. I would like to say, I purchase product for 3 homes and have been a loyal customer for 14 years. I don’t normally keep my receipts (I do now) as I don’t mind receiving a gift card as I know I can always spend the money at Sephora. I am sure you know that if given the credit card back I could take that same amount to Nordstrom’s Neiman Marcus, Saks, ect. They also honor any sale prices or discounts of Sephora’s.

On Nov 3, when I was rejected and told at the bottom of my receipt that I could no longer return for 60 days. This did not disturb me to much so I continued shopping for many purchases at the November sale. You can see in my account that I do purchase 2 or 3 of the same items. Yesterday I went to return my gift once again and was still rejected. My receipt from Nov 3 says 60 days. From my calculations, I would be well over my time period.

shapeshifter

(0) Hearts

Yeah, I made a return to SiJCP and the SA was helpful in explaining that because their system is different, it would be like returning without a receipt. I went ahead with it just because it was my first time and I never plan on doing it again. The SiJCP employees should really be trained to fully explain the situation to customers. If you order online and only have a SiJCP nearby, you should really just send your return in the mail. I've never had a problem returning with a packing slip to a free standing store. Think about it...it's kinda like you bought something from amazon.com and then tried to return it at a JCP. It's confusing because it's branded as a sephora store, but it's run as JCP. 

On the plus side, you can usually make all your jcp purchases at the sephora and not wait in line twice.

butterblume

Omg, so after reading this thread I went to a free standing Sephora yesterday to return a bunch of items - there were about 6 in total and they all came from separate web orders. So I went back through my email and printed out ALL THE CONFIRMATION EMAILS, then tore off the return slip at the bottom of the packing slip, packed all my items up in my little Sephora bag and went to return the stuff.

I get there, hand the cashier my return slips as well as my stack of confirmation emails and she asks me where the packing slips are.

DOH!

I explained I thought packing slips weren't receipts and on the back it said to just bring confirmation and the return form. 

She was able to scan the barcode of the return forms and give me my refunds - but now I'm worried and I don't know whether she processed those as returns with or without receipt.

*sigh*

tracygirl64

(0) Hearts

Did she ask you for your driver's license? If so, she probably did process them as returns without receipts. But, if she just had you sign and put returns back on your credit card, then she did process them as returns with a receipt.

I do know that with returns without receipts, you get store credit, they don't issue you refunds for it. So, it sounds like, to me, she did them as returns with a receipt.

tigrelili

ive had the same thing happen and am now banned for returns from jcpenney for 120 days , i requested a print out from the fraud company of what i returned without receipt and it shows three returns to sephora in jcpenney all of which i had shipping receipt and a return last year from best buy for which i ALSO had receipt , i had to exchange something bc it was underwarranty to prove warranty i had to have receipt.

i submitted all my things and am waiting for their response its just really a hassle considering i had to fight the sephora people in store to get my shipping receipt back because they tried to keep it even though i had like 500 dollars worth of items on it yet they processed it as no receipt

the company is called the retail equation

p.o. box 51373

irvine , california  92619

cefrd13

(0) Hearts

Thank you so much!! I will definitely look into this!

makeupobesessed

I had the same problem, returning with the packing slip or a free standing Sephora receipt at a SiJCP is apparently returning w/o a receipt.  I was turned down a few weeks ago.  They've always called to verify price, and its never been a problem but its JCP's computers, not Sephoras, and so that is whats causing the issue.  Ive been told that a SiJCP taking a return is a curtesy to me. 

Recently though, they SA told me that the computer system has been updated and this should no longer be an issue.  I haven't tried it, but hopefully its resolved.  I like my SiJCP and its closer.

eadelaide1

This exact thing happened to me at SJCP too. I make numerous online orders, and returned a few items at SJCP in order to receive quicker refunds vs mailing in, and also to "exchange" for a different shade of TM and concealer in the shop. (I say "exchange" b/c they can only return, then you re-purchase.) Two months ago, a slip printed out that I would no longer be able to make "returns w/o receipt". I was so embarrassed, and felt like I was some kind of thief! Turns out, each time I came in with my packing slip (4 times in 8mos) from the online order, they processed the return with my license as "returned w/o receipt".

Last time I went in, I spoke to the manager about this, as I was really upset. I was told that now they have changed the policy at SJCP so that they process returns by entering the store number instead of your license number. They still process it as a return w/o receipt, but they call sephora CS in order to verify the amount you paid and what you used to pay so that the return can be properly credited back. Moral of the story- they should no longer ask for your license to enter that ID number to identify you, as the process has been updated. If they do, inform them that they are not following the correct procedure so that it doesn't negatively impact you. 

gingerblack

(0) Hearts

I've heard of this happening before at the Sephora stores in JCP. Maybe you could call Sephora and they could help you out? I hope it works out and you can still shop there!

ireneh

So sorry this happened to you!

I've never heard that a packing slip is not a receipt?! I thought it was. On the same note, apparently an EMAILED RECEIPT is also NOT a receipt. Sephora now asks if you want a paper or emailed receipt after a purchase. I usually opt for email receipts to save paper, and I had try to do a return from an email receipt only to be told by a snotty cashier that it's not valid and he needed a tangible receipt... I kept trying to explain I never got one :smileysad: Some people are just not very good with customer service!

Spoiler

lilyyy

He's 100% wrong and you're a saint for not calling him out.

ireneh

There was a long line behind me and he kept giving me an awkward "are you going to leave or let me do this return quickly?" so I decided not to make a scene.

I spoke with one of the CS on this board and she said that apparently Sephora stores can process the returns however they would like. I wanted the return to go back to my CC since I did have an emailed receipt but the store had said it wasn't valid so insisted on store credit. Go figure.

lilyyy

"apparently Sephora stores can process the returns however they would like"

They can in that you can't stop them unless you know what they're doing. Some credit cards offer better return policies than the store and the store MUST comply as part of their merchant agreements. If not, the consumer could file a charge back.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 52 replies
  • 73 hearts
  • 29 in conversation
    • eadelaide1
    • killahbabe
    • reflectsgold
    • marydiva
    • jxw200
    • tracygirl64