sophiieee

Returning without receipt

(0) Hearts

I love Sephora's return policy, but does anyone know why they ask you for government issued ID? What do they use that information for?

STILLLVSEPHORA

Re: Returning without receipt

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Like many other retailers, they keep a database of your returns to discourage fraudulent activity.  Also if you get to a certain dollar amount returned with no receipt, they can shut you down from returning without a receipt.  Unfortunately, it's a necessity these days with fraud and theft.  Rest assured, if you are returning products simply because they don't work for you, you should never have an issue.  I think they are now requiring an ID also with receipted returns, again to form a return history for you.

MGJM

SirenPrincess got it exactly right.  Sephora uses a third party company that keeps track of returns so that if someone is constantly returning without receipts, the system will eventually reject their returns.  Unfortunately, they cannot use your BI card as a receipt  or look up your credit card info though.  Hopefully some day.  As far as lolo01's comment...free standing Sephora's and SiJP use different systems, which is why they cannot scan each other's receipts.  When they scan your ID though, it's not because they are processing it as a return w/o receipt (at least they shouldn't be).  At the top of the receipt, it will tell you how they processed it.  For example, if you return at a free standing store with a SiJP receipt, the top of your receipt should say, "SiJP return".  Although they scan your ID, it is not considered a return without a receipt and it will not go against you in the future.  Hope this helps :smileyhappy:

SirenPrincess

(0) Hearts

Yeah, I didn't mean they'd use your BI card or credit card for a receipt.  I meant those are additional tools the companies that try to catch the criminals (versus the normal people just returning things) can use.  People who were stealing (like the people who sweep the shelf of product) wouldn't have any purchases on their BI card and wouldn't have any credit card purchases under that name but would be trying to return a lot of product.  Those type of things are red flags that something is wrong.

lolo01

Thank hon :smileyhappy:

lolo01

I was just gonna ask a question because I did 2 returns recently and both were purchased at a sephora store but I returned then at a sijp bc it's closer to my home and even though I had my receipts the associate told me that since I.purchased them from a freestanding sephora she couldn't scan my receipts. The last thing I need is for them to flag me when I do have a receipt because she asked for my I'D and processed as exchange w/o reciept.

AmiraHall

(0) Hearts

lol...keep your receipts just incase...:smileyhappy:

I'm sure the people that do that have tons of returns, im sure a few here and there will be ok.

SirenPrincess

(0) Hearts

I don't work for Sephora, and I'm sure a mod could give you an exact company policy answer.  But the gist of it is that they ask for your ID when you return without receipt to keep track of returns.  There are people out there who will steal a whole bunch of stuff and then return it for the money!  Horrible, but it happens.  So I think they just flag it if suddenly someone is trying to return a whole bunch without receipt.  I'm pretty sure they can tell from your beauty insider and also the credit card you paid with (if applicable) if you really bought it at Sephora too. Anyway, it's just to prevent criminals.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • lolo01
    • sophiieee
    • AmiraHall
    • SirenPrincess
    • MGJM
    • STILLLVSEPHORA