asdsfgh

Returning Items

Should I feel bad to make 4 returns in store? I bought more then I should've at Chic week and came home to realize i didn't need a lot of it. I'm trying to save money and shouldn't have bought them. Nothing was opened and I haven't had problems with returning in my Sephora in the past, I just feel bad :smileysad: 

On the other hand, looking for a new moisturizer. I have been using FAB Ultra repair cream for my dry skin, but as summer approaches my skin turns a bit more combo. I am looking for a moisturizer a little lighter weight then the one I have been using, Fragrance free, and safe for super sensitive skin. THANK YOU!!!

kissXmakeup

Re: Returning Items

When I started looking for a foundation at the beginning of the year, I bought Tarte's Amazonian Clay Foundation. It looked great the first week and then I started to break out. So, back to the store it went. Ever since then, I try not to make returns unless I am highly unsatisfied with my purchase. I will visit the Sephora stores near me to ask for samples of products on my shopping list so that I can try them and see if they will break me out or not. 

I have also had issues with skin matching in the store with foundations, so I definitely ask for samples to try at home. I recently bought Kat Von D's Lock it Tattoo Foundation and when I got color matched, the foundation color looked great in store. I come home and wear it only to see that it was way orange and too dark on my face. I haven't had a chance to return it, but I will probably do so today. 

Moral of the story: ASK FOR SAMPLES! THEY'RE YOUR BEST FRIEND. (:

kalex

@drrragon - If you search "TSB" you'll find threads for the 4 or so we did in the VIB boards.

To give you a quick idea though -

One person will load up a box with new or gently used makeup and skincare (full, deluxe, and sample-sized) and send it to the next person on the list.  That person will choose a few items and replace them with items of equal or greater value.  This continues until the box reaches the end and goes back to the original person.  The starter of the box then chooses a few things to keep and takes the rest to a charity. 

If you click on my profile I have a pic of a bunch of bags on my bed.  That's what was donated from TSB 4!

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I remember the days of TSB on Facebook. I never got 2 boxes and I remember one girl was notorious for taking a lot of items, and only putting in one drugstore product back in. I stopped after that. Are they still around? 

dianabt

@Ramieee when the cast members open the items or unscrew the caps it is to check how much of the product is used since some clients will try to return empty or almost entirely used up products which is against our policy. :smileyhappy:

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
Ramieee

Oh! Duh!! Hahaha!! 

But on the other hand I hope ppl won't take advantage of this generous return policy and ruin it for others! That's so disgusting to return fully used items. 

dianabt

[ Edited ]

Edited because I'm having trouble posting to this thread =p 

@beautylovingirl I understand what you mean, my apologies for my wording! I just meant that any questions about how exactly the items are disposed of/returned to the vendors/recycled should be directed to the stores since we do not have this specific information on where the items go once they are stickered as returns.

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
Ramieee

Thanks for hearing us all out!! I just surprised by the way the girl opened up all of the boxes and unscrewed all of the caps. I too would be protective of my store :smileyhappy: I was thinking the associates get to keep some of the stuff! perks?! :smileywink:

beautylovingirl

[ Edited ]

@dianabt- If your assuring us on used or damaged goods not being sold then why would we need to contact our local stores? If the rule is in place in one store then it should be enforced in all stores especially for consumer safety. God only knows what some people have and can spread to someone else by using the lipstick or mascara's. You mouth and eyes are the fun park for germs.  I may have to rethink the whole Sephora thing after this conversation.

kd006

Have you ever worked in customer service before?

I'm just curious because I worked the returns desk of a major home improvement company (not giving the name because I still work there) and it is literally impossible to have a set standard for every store.

Even throughout my store, we are all one company, but we compete with each other for sales just as if we didn't all have the same name.

Many places have different policies depending on the general management. Returns are processed differently and rules are different for each location. Sometimes there are laws that prevent certain states doing certain things with items being returned. Someone can take a return to my store that I deny them to return and then go up to the store 20 miles away and try to return it and they could take it back. You just never know. People interpret policies differently, and at least at my company, general management gets the final word.

I don't mean to be rude, I'm just showing a different side to the story of why you would need to contact your local sephora. I don't mean to be mean!! :smileyhappy:

quenbee

For my local Sephora, if its a mascara that's being returned, whether new or used it get damaged out. I heard the cast member telling the trainee that.  As far as other items - not sure, but they do ask if its used and those get a sticker and put in a bin.

It's a great idea to give unwanted new items and samples to a charity. 2 years ago I had so many samples accumulated and new products from kits that I just didn't use I gave them to a friend of mine who does a local version of "toys for tots idea" And brings toys for the kids and holiday dinners to the less fortunate families in our area. She made up beauty bags/baskets for the Moms and teenage girls.  I gave 3 Medium sized Sephora bags of stuff to her.  I thought it was so nice and I was happy to contribute to a good cause! 

DaisieWilde

(0) Hearts

If you didn't use or open anything, I wouldn't feel bad returning it.  You are doing what is right for you in trying to save money.  I've had a few times where I bought on impulse, got home and felt like smacking myself because I shouldn't have bought it.  I return items, as long as they aren't worn or open.  Even though many places take opened/tested makeup, I just can't bring myself to return it in that case.

It happens all of the time.  You don't need to provide an explanation, and no need to feel bad.  Especially not with such a large company that deals with returns and such all the time.  I tend to feel bad if I buy from a small business or off of etsy on an impulse buy moment, and then regret it.  I usually take the financial hit in that case, unless it was truly of poor quality, but I read reviews and research like mad before I buy so that's a rarity.

kalex

@krunce - I would love it if Sephora donated used/returned items!  Awhile back we had a few Traveling Sephora Boxes going on and that's what we did at the end of the box.  The two I started went to The Lydia House in Omaha.  Many times those women leave without much more than what they have on their backs.  I think all of us can attest to how much a new lipstick can brighten your mood and how much more confident you feel when you look nice!

katie1724

(0) Hearts

I wonder if this is a liability issue, though. I once witnessed my local Bruegger's toss what seemed like 100 bagels (and garnish, like tomatoes, etc.) in the trash at the end of the day. I think they were the "next day" bagels that didn't sell -- and I asked why they couldn't be donated. The employee said it was for legal reasons / liability. I'm wondering if Sephora cannot (or wouldn't) donate the used items for the same reason (though that would certainly be better than tossing them!).

I used to love participating in TSBs -- I'm glad everything went to a good cause :smileyhappy:

drrragon

(0) Hearts

@kalex -- what's this about a traveling sephora box?  that sounds so interesting!

krunce

I would feel a lot better about returning make up if I knew that Sephora was donating it to charity and not throwing it away. I would even be happy to sign a liability waiver if that's what they're worried about.

There are all sorts of organizations that accept used make up and who distribute it to low-income families and women's shelters... donatemydress.org, beautybus.org, dressforsuccess.org are just a few.

katie1724

[ Edited ]

I'm with you -- I just feel bad. Personally, I only return in rare cases, because I'm too embarrassed; I'd rather give it to someone that I know will use it rather than have it go to waste (making it my own loss). When I have returned a used item, I have felt really wasteful (because they can't resell them, or probably even turn them into testers). In other countries (probably most others outside the US) -- you actually can't return cosmetics at all, which probably drastically changes your mindset while shopping. At Sephora stores in France, you can return, but there are much stricter time limits. I'm pretty sure you can only return for money back within 7 days; after that it's store credit, and beyond two months (or maybe 1 month), you can't return, period.

I think with a flexible return policy, people buy knowing that returning is always an option (I have been guilty of this myself, particularly with clothing -- because I always like to try it on at home). When I first moved to France, I learned the hard way that not all cultures operate like this. I had bought a dress that I took home to think about, and then decided to return it -- well, it just isn't done. I didn't make a fuss, but they were genuinely baffled as to why I was returning it if nothing was really wrong (i.e. not damaged / defective). Even if returns are not technically forbidden, they are not as common. When I complained to my French friend about it, she said, "Yeahh...we don't really do that. Why did you buy it if you weren't sure?" I think this is a uniquely American consumer mentality thing.

Apologies for going (semi) off topic...sometimes I just find these policies appalling (catering to the customer over being mindful of waste -- if indeed it does not get reused (not resold) in some form -- etc.).

Fabz

Thanks for sharing this katie! I really hadn't thought about how it could be a cultural thing. I do the same thing with clothing since I despise trying things on at the store...especially on my "bloated" days >.<. It may help me save money if I knew I had to be sure of my purchase which would totally cancel out any online ordering. 

kalex

@melissabt -

Oh that's disturbing!  There should be standards!

kalex

[ Edited ]

@Triciaann12 -

I do see where you're coming from.  I'm was staring at the stuff in my cabinets trying to figure out where the line should be drawn.  Pots of products should be tossed if not still in sealed plastic.  Things without seals like blushes or shadows I'm iffy on.  If it was lightly swiped with a brush you couldn't tell and the brush could've been dirty, but it would be a horrid waste to toss it if it's new.

It would be nice to have clarification on what gets tossed regardless of whether it "looks" used or not. 

I guess the point I was trying to make with clothes is that you try it on (or maybe you don't), put it in your car, bring it into your house...  To me it's no different than not knowing if my blush was touched by someone else.  If it looks ok and smells ok then it must be ok.

I apologize if my reply came across as a personal attack.  I did not mean it that way.  The amount of waste that goes on just makes me angry.  That some people still buy bottle water or don't recycle darn near makes me irate.  It's like, "Really?  Rinsing out that jug and putting it in a different bin is too much to ask of you?  Come here so I can kick you." 

Again, I meant nothing against you.  Just trying to provoke thought regarding wastefulness.

DaisieWilde

We are such a society of consumerism.  I used to have drawers and drawers full of products that I'd use for a few weeks and buy something else.  Not only did I spend money I didn't have (on credit cards, still paying those off 6 years later!), I ended up with such a wasted pile of expensive items that I felt bad throwing them out, so I'd hang on to them, which was completely pointless.  Over the past year I have ended up cleaning out the containers and recycling them, because the products were expired.  I had to move past the guilt of buyer's remorse and choose to finally get rid of it all with the strong resolution NOT to get into that situation again.

I felt the only way for me to avoid that was not to buy it in the first place.

I recycle so much, I throw out less in the garbage every month.  When I lived alone, I'd fill a garbage bag once a month, but dumpy my recycling once a week.  I was appalled to find out my community (actually the northern HALF of my state) does NOT recycle GLASS!  They simply break it up and dump it in the land fill like everything else, despite having a drop off for glass.  I try not to buy food products in glass, but it is hard.  I've tried to reuse the glass containers, but I end up with so many.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 45 replies
  • 59 hearts
  • 22 in conversation
    • kalex
    • katie1724
    • ginamc
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • cherrybombtastic