asdsfgh

Returning Items

Should I feel bad to make 4 returns in store? I bought more then I should've at Chic week and came home to realize i didn't need a lot of it. I'm trying to save money and shouldn't have bought them. Nothing was opened and I haven't had problems with returning in my Sephora in the past, I just feel bad :smileysad: 

On the other hand, looking for a new moisturizer. I have been using FAB Ultra repair cream for my dry skin, but as summer approaches my skin turns a bit more combo. I am looking for a moisturizer a little lighter weight then the one I have been using, Fragrance free, and safe for super sensitive skin. THANK YOU!!!

katie1724

Re: Returning Items

This is what I was kind of driving at in my above post -- we really are a consumerist society! I think if stores (both brick and mortar and online) had a no-return policy, or even a stricter return policy, it would drastically change how we think of shopping. I am definitely guilty of ordering multiple things online with the intention of not keeping them all. (I realize that online shopping presents a different challenge re: sizing, etc.) I know what you mean re: credit card debt, too!

dianabt

Just to point out, during my in store experiences we never re-sold any returned items that could be opened/touched, etc.  Every item was labeled and then returned to their vendors/companies to process the recycling/disposing process.

The only items we EVER (may have, im not even 100% sure if we DID resell them) were sealed items that were not and could not be opened but items like brushes or palettes that had plastic seals or shrink wrap. My store was extremely conscious of this to make sure no used or returned items were going back on the sales floor.

That being said, I'd recommend you contact your local store directly to see what info a cast member or manager can advise you of how their store handles the returns exactly! :smileyhappy:  Rest assured we would definitely not sell used or damaged items unless it was entirely by accident. 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
katie1724

I'm the same way! When I was in New York for the holidays (for almost a month), I was completely horrified (understatement) to discover that the family I was staying with doesn't recycle -- at all. My mind was so blown that, like a crazy person, I collected the recyclables from the trash (!) on the sly and snuck them out with me when I ran errands so I could dump them in a public recycling bin. Waste is out of control! My parents (who live in PA) have recycled since the late 80s/early 90s, but now that I live in California I think I'm even more hyperaware of these things. Anytime I'm outside the city and at a self-serve restaurant, I think, "What do you mean, you don't have three different trash bins!?!!" because I'm so used to seeing three (landfill / recycling / compost).

Fabz

I feel the same way asdfgh. I purchased a crap-ton of products and got home and realized I really didn't need most of it or already had similar shades. I have returned quite a few purchases I've made online since the colors didn't really suit me person. I felt bad returning them and usually I have like 3-4 items each time so I feel like they are looking at me like "YOU SUCK". Oh well. It's like someone said, I'm a loyal customer and spend a lot of money here. If you need to return something then so be it.

cherrybombtastic

(0) Hearts

I returned something during Chic Week, technically I exchanged it for a concealer that was better suited for me. When I first bought a concealer based on one of the Sephora associates demonstrating on me, I thought it looked great, but then when I went to my car and looked closer, the concealer was really cakey, so I exchanged it for a less expensive one that worked way better. I never opened the first concealer, not even the box, and it was an easy return all around. You shouldn't feel bad about returning the items if you never used it. Actually you shouldn't feel bad if you are returning it and it has been used either! I think for questionable items, such as mascara, they might just toss it, and Sephora employees get dibs on it? The same goes for if you work for a beauty magazine, and they have stash of products that go unused. My guess is that they want you to take it.

melissabt

(0) Hearts

Hi Everyone, 

It’s up to each store’s discretion how they handle returns. Please contact your local store for more specific returns information. Thank you.

<3 Melissa
kalex

@Triciaann12 -

RE - I DON'T WANT SOMEONE ELSES CASTOFFS post

I see your point.. to a point. 

It would be incredibly wasteful for Sephora to toss everything that gets returned.  I questioned the staff at my store once after returning an expensive cream that didn't work for me.  I was hoping they would turn it into a tester or something but no, it gets destroyed for some of the very reasons that you sited.  Sealed products though are returned to stock or so I was told.

Do you question the clothing you buy?  There is no way of knowing whether someone returned a shirt or dress that is hanging in your closet right now.   Would you expect the store to burn the clothes because the person who returned it might be gross in any way, shape, or form?

I understand your concerns but in terms of sealed products having an item that was returned is really no different than not knowing how long it was sitting on a shelf. 

triciaann12

[ Edited ]

kd006

Okay I get where you are coming from but you just need to breathe lol.

If there isn't a seal I'm sure it is not put on the shelf. Last year I went into a sephora going to buy the dior rose diamond highlighter. Took it off of the shelf. Paid for it. Got to my car. Was so excited, so I opened it. Then I realized it was the pressed powder. NOT the product I wanted. It was put on the wrong spot. I did not swatch the product. Did not touch it. Opened it and saw it was not what I had thought it was. I went straight back in and exchanged it for the product I did want. I would be mad if they had just threw that product away because it didn't have a seal on the box. All I did was open the compact. The film was not moved at all over the top of the powder. If someone threw that away, I would have been mad because that is a waste of a $40 product. And you could see from my receipt that it had been 10 minutes since I purchased it. If they were to throw away every return they got, they wouldn't be making money. If you are very concerned about it, just spray your cosmetics down with alcohol. It kills all the germs that may have come in contact with a product. It is what all makeup artists do with their makeup after they work on a client.

Also, all kinds of people open products if there is no sample of a product just to look at it. Anything in packaging that doesn't have a seal could have been touched by any costumer just being an idiot and opening products without purchasing them.

Like I said, just spray your cosmetics down with alcohol. It does not ruin your makeup at all. I do it about every 2 weeks because I do have very mild acne and just don't want any bacteria in my products.

sephoramusthave

[ Edited ]

I've never returned anything to Sephora because I play with testers in store/ask for samples first. Plus, I've seen how the cashiers treat other customers that wanted to return an item, and the *attitude* towards the customer was borderline shameful. If I got treated like that, I would *never* come back. I *think* that all returned items get sent back to the manufacturer, they don't get used as testers, they don't get thrown away. That's what I was told once. I don't know whether Sephora gets their money back when they do that, who knows, but I think they do if they are allowing that many returns.

Sure, not everything has a seal, but if something were used I would know. Because once its used once, you can tell. Like with mascara, it takes a couple of pumps to get the mascara on the brand new wand. Of the dozens and dozens of items I bought from Sephora for either myself, or for friends/family, I've never questioned that what I bought was ever used because everything I bought and opened was brand brand new and shiny. No finger prints, nothing. Most packaging leaves fingerprints or some sort of evidence that its been used and I've never had that sort of experience.

kd006

Also, you were just my 100th heart!! So thank you!! haha. (Seriously smiling lol... it's the little things in life..) :smileyhappy:

kd006

Agreed. With mascara, usually you get mascara on the stopper where you pull out the brush whenever you use it the first time. So you can easily tell if anyone has used it because there would be mascara there. As for powders, you can tell if a brush hit the powder. Usually there would be dust from the powder on the compact mirror or in the packaging that normally wouldn't be there. For foundations, you would see foundation on the pump (most brands sephora carries do have pumps). Usually you would just be able to tell if it was used. Idk I just feel like I would be able to tell pretty easily whether or not it had been used. Sephora I'm sure has higher standards than drugstores and doesn't just put it back on the shelf. That would probably be like some kind of health code violation I would think.

sephoramusthave

Exactly. Even drugstores don't just put things back on the shelf. Maybe they get thrown into the clearance bin for a super low price IF it hasn't been used. I've seen customers at drugstores/any store really open the packaging, just to see how big the item is or what kind of packaging it comes in, but they usually put it back the way it was. Some people, actually open and USE the item (GAWD!) but I can always always  tell if a lipstick has been swatched on someones hand, and not all lipsticks, drugstore or not, have a safety seal.

kd006

Omg that makes me cringe just hearing it because I seriously.. Ugh. Drugstores just freak me out. I shop at CVS once in awhile (I really barely buy drugstore items anymore). But when I do, I always grab the item that is the farthest back on the shelf hoping no one has touched it! But drugstore IS a lot better having seals on their products. Most foundations have a sticker or the little pull tab on the side or cardboard packaging. Wet and wild products all have the safety sticker on the front. Just because they know it is a problem with their products getting tampered with.

wingatprsct

(0) Hearts

I have always assumed that if the item was returned unopened, they would probably resale it.  However, most items have plastic safety seals so you know they have not been used.  I often wondered about items with broken seals and if they use them as samples in the stores. 

I have never had any problems with returns but feel guilty returning items after using them.  However, the items that I did return used were purchased online without previewing them. so I didn't feel quite as guilty.

beautylovingirl

@triciaann12- LOL! I know your mad but just breathe and we both will be praying that what we have purchased from Sephora no one has had before or I think that there will be alot of unhappy ladies. VERY UNHAPPY LADIES!

garnett

(0) Hearts

Sephora says that they want you to be happy and if you are not, you can return your purchase(s).  I buy a lot at Sephora and when a product doesn't work out for me, I don't feel bad about making a return.  I tried some skincare that was quite pricey and it caused me serious problems. Back it went.  I didn't get any attitude about making the return.  That is why I keep going back to Sephora- I get lots of help, great customer service, no hard sell that is common at department store counters,  and no "snotty" attitude about returns. 

beautylovingirl

AMEN!

triciaann12

[ Edited ]

-

katie1724

[ Edited ]

I'm pretty sure that, for legal reasons, they likely can't resell anything that isn't factory sealed. I would put money on this.

makeupobesessed

[ Edited ]

I've returned items before, both used and unused and its never been a problem.  I'm sure if you were someone they got to know as a serial returner, it may be embarrassing, but my theory is, I spend a lot of money at Sephora, and am usually loyall, so if I need to return an item that isn't working, I should.  It seems wasteful when they just get rid of it after its been opened, but I don't like wasting my money even more.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 45 replies
  • 59 hearts
  • 22 in conversation
    • kalex
    • katie1724
    • ginamc
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • cherrybombtastic