garnett

RANT: MAKE-UP THAT HAS BEEN OPENED, TOUCHED AND TRIED ON!

I do a lot of shopping at Sephora.com but when it comes to buying a new shade of something like lipstick, I definitely like to go into the store. In the past year or so I have had to return a few items that I have purchased because when I got home I found that it had been opened and obviously touched or tried on. Of course this really makes me angry because

A) There is a tester available on the floor and

B) I then have to go back to the mall and return it for one that has not been molested.

What makes matters worse is the fact that today I asked the sales associate who rang me up to please open up the lipstick so I could see what condition it was in. She pointed to the long line and told me that she had no time for that and it was against store policy. REALLY? I was in a huge rush so I didn't make a fuss and went home. WELL, my new lipstick from Bite Beauty (Pomegranate) was not shiny and pristine. Someone had definitely touched it. There was even a small smudge of the color on the inside tube. I am kicking myself for not checking it in the car. I wish the items were shrink wrapped so that they can't be tampered with. I am so tired of people being so self centered and inconsiderate that they feel they can open up things like lipstick and nail polish (not the tester) and just try them on.  I don't even what to consider the idea  that these are products that have been returned and then put back out on the floor.

Have any of you had a similar experience or am I the sole collector of messed up make-up??

onomotopoeia9

Re: RANT: MAKE-UP THAT HAS BEEN OPENED, TOUCHED AND TRIED ON!

I bought a too-faced candlelight illuminater, and I noticed that the box had a rip, and the product was obviously tampered with. The sephora rep acted as though she didn't believe me. She was like" Its ok - we'll still let you return it even if you did use it a couple of times." I guess it is nice that they have that policy, but by principle, I would never buy something and return it used, so I felt embarrassed for someone else's rudeness which turned out to be a pain in the butt for me.

serioustree

I ordered the Naked palette online, turns out five colors were swatches (eww I hope they were clean fingers) and brought it back for a switch. it was super easy and I just walked out with a new palette. I love that they didn't give me a hard time or questioned me. If they did I would've been pissed off. 

mkupgk

When I go to sephora I usually swatch the testers before i buy the actual product.  Make sure you get them in the back, not the front ones. 

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

@Sweetfirefly- Ewwww!

SweetFirefly

I was at Sephora earlier this year and I saw a woman who I had just seen being generally confused about makeup in the MAC store stick her fingers in every one of the Benefit boxed powder testers. I regret that I didn't mention this to someone working there because it was super unhygienic. 

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

I haven't had the experience at Sephora but I did have it at Dillard's before when I had purchased blush and eye shawdows that has obviously been opened and used and then put back in stock. That's a big NO NO with me.

kenny

I also forgot to mention, that when you ask an employee to try something out and there is no tester, they will gladly make one for you. So I really don't get why people feel the need to open them up themselves.

poemelyric

I do most of my shopping at Sephora.com but I hear what you are saying.  People need to be more considerate of other shoppers in the store and not pull out products that are on sale to the public as opposed to using the testers.  Maybe the people who do that try out the boxed item because they think it's more sanitary than the tester?  Either way, if you're not going to buy it, then you shouldn't be playing with the item and put it back for someone else to pick up.  Even though I have differences with the Sephora near where I live, they do make sure the box isn't tampered with so at least I know it's safe.  But it bothers me whenever I go out with friends and they want to try things out when there's a tester.  It's usually perfume but if you're not going to buy it, don't open it!  Luckily, the perfume I buy is all shrink wrapped but still, people wouldn't like if it was done to them...  and I wish I could say that it's just the teenagers that do that but I've seen some older people opening boxes too... 

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

I've actually gotten to the point that I buy online from Sephora vs the store because of this.  Retailers really can't help all of it because they can't watch every shopper.  The problem is people's ethics and manners.  people don't care that they're marring up a product or contaminating it.  My solution is to get is straight from the brand or Sephora's warehouse so that no nastiness has ruined it.

prettyinpa

I haven't had that experience at Sephora, but the makeup at the TJMaxx that I shop at has always been tampered with, most likely because they don't have testers. (So why is this, it is so inexpensive to have a tester and it would save having all the merchandise grubbied up).

I generally shop on line at Sephora because I live almost 2 hours away from a store, my problem with online is that sometimes my purchases are damaged in transit. Not enough to go to the bother of shipping them back, but the shadows can be powdery or the packaging squished.

quenbee

I have had this happen to me before.  The fingerprint on the beautiful shadows in the last limited edition palette, the obvious swatch of the lipstick! It also happened to me with a kit I bought. One of the items was missing.  It was the mascara and I don't like the mascara from that brand and would have given it away so it wasn't such a big deal.  But every time I buy a kit I ask them to either open or ask if I can open myself.   They do say they can't because its against policy so I buy the kit and stand at the register and open before leaving the store.  This actually saved me from buying another kit with missing product!   It is quite annoying.  I have been trying to only buy online.  I find that I have more self control when shopping online too and just buy what I want - no impulse buys!   It's a win-win for me!

sephoralovex

This has happened to me a few times. And you're right, if theres a tester... use and try that instead of a new one!!! That's what got me to start shopping online at Sephora more often than in stores.

If im shopping in stores, I always get a product from the back and double check it (opening it) to make sure it is not touched. I dont swatch or try it though until after buying. Personally, Ive never had a SA come up to me and tell me i cant do that.

arielaaaaaaaa

I haven't had that happen to Me. But I still prefer to buy online always. I go in store to check the color of a lipstick or blush and make sure it would look good on me, and then I order it online. I just prefer it that way. And when I do sometimes have to have it right then and I don't want to wait I will get one from the back and open it myself. I don't care if it's policy or not. They either let me do or I won't purchase it. It bothers me how rude some employees can be, luckily the Sephora I go to is friendly and they all know me :smileyhappy:

kenny

I've never had this happen at a Sephora before. I have had this happen more in drugstores and discount stores (like TJ Maxx), where they don't necessarily have testers. But I know it always irks me! I always like to check myself at those places to make sure they have not been tampered with, but I don't do that at Sephora. I do agree that I find it incredibly annoying and disgusting when people open up products and use them. I don't know why  people think this is okay. At least at some TJ Maxx (and Winner in Canada) they have started putting cosmetics into those same security boxes that they do for perfume. I know when I go to discount places I only buy beauty and related products if it's from a brand I trust or I am willing to take the risk on it.

kd006

I personally have not had this happen to me at sephora. I do 90% of my sephora shopping online due to the fact that my nearest sephora is two hours away! But, this has happened to me at ulta a few times. Its such a pain because then I have to drive back up the hill and waste gas going up there again. What a horrible customer experience they gave you though. If she couldn't open it, that's fine, but someone on the floor should have given you permission to open it to make sure there were no smudges.. I wonder why that's against policy for you to look before you buy. Honestly, if I'm spending a good amount of money, they shouldn't say to me "look at the line" like.. I know the line.. I waited in it to get to here.. LOL. That makes me laugh because it's so rude and I would never say that to a customer at my work (I also work customer service). I don't think it's so much the policy that erked me.. If they can't open a product then.. that's policy, but she should have treated you a bit better..

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 24 hearts
  • 14 in conversation
    • kenny
    • prettyinpa
    • sephoralovex
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • poemelyric
    • jennypenny1995