nebel

Not all Sephoras are created equal!

I came away from shopping this weekend majorly bummed because the Sephora I visited did not carry any of the products I was planning on getting!  I was really looking forward to getting the new OCC products, but this store only had a few of the older lip tars (not even the metallics!) and the store didn't even have a Guerlain section.  Do you guys find that some Sephoras are MAJORLY better than others in terms of the brands they carry?  I tend to make shopping lists online and then go to the store so I can test everything out, but it is frustrating when there is lots of stuff online and nothing in the store!  swfupload_5140062670680673145.jpg

sephoramusthave

Re: Not all Sephoras are created equal!

(0) Hearts

I have several Sephoras around me, free standing and JCP ones and I find that, for the most part, they carry pretty much the same lines. UD, MUFE, Stila, Benefit, Too Faced, KVD, NARS, Sephora Collection and Tarte are present in all of my Sephora stores. The JCP ones sometimes carry brands that the free standing ones do not, and sometimes those brands are not even sold on Sephora.com.

There are waaayyyyyy to many brands that Sephora carries (no complaints here btw) so having every brand, in every store, just isn't possible. Call the store before you drop in :smileyvery-happy:

consolvo

(0) Hearts

I should have complained about the Sleeping Facial outage sooner. I went in today and they had it (!) and I got a huge sample to try. :smileyhappy:

janinebt

(0) Hearts

@solveig, a lot of our larger locations have Armani. New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco are just a few cities that have Sephora stores with the brand :smileyhappy:

Whimsically yours,
Janine
consolvo

[ Edited ]

You will want to be cautious about the online inventory.

If you are driving very far for a particular item, it would be best to call ahead and make certain that it is actually on hand.

As an example, I've been wanting to try a sample of this product and online inventory has said it is in stock at my nearest full-size store for months, but it hasn't appeared yet. I have even asked store personnel to check in the back, but it appears they just haven't received it yet.

http://www.sephora.com/greek-yoghurt-advanced-nourishing-sleeping-facial-P379063

Just a cautionary tale...

1Emily

(0) Hearts

I had that problem when I visited a Sephora on my vacation in Florida this year. Not only did they not have half the things I was looking for, the sales staff was hugely inadequate. It makes you so upset when you know they can do better.

voxover

(0) Hearts

My experience of store discrepancies/uncarried products hasn't been bad so far. The stores I've been to seem to make sure to cover all of the brands of skincare I want to try and haven't seen elsewhere. They seem to stock sensibly (like having the essentials of getting the feel of a brand, such as Origins, if there's a full-size Origins store at that mall). I kind of like that they typically have a well-curated portion of essentials.

I went to a JCP Sephora, which is smaller than a regular one and understandably has less selection. It was nice. I didn't see any liptar (bummer), but it had Lorac and a nice well-stocked selection of KVD and some popular skincare products from certain brands.

ayen85

(0) Hearts

Our sephoras doesnt carry Guerlain,givenchy,bobbi brown,illamasqua and the occ liptars arent even complete! I had to purchase my beloved occ  prettyboy in chicaGo! And the brands they dont carry are the ones im most interested in. 😢major bummer!

colorobsession

(0) Hearts

I was sad to find out they pulled Lorac from the Sephora store closest to my house/work. I really wanted to play with the Pro palette in person :-(

Apocalyptica

(0) Hearts

I actually ran into a small issue with that today. I went to the only stand alone Sephora location anywhere remotely close to me today only to find out the only color Kat Von D Tattoo Liner they carry is Trooper (black), which normally would be ok since thats my every day color but I was really hoping to try out her brown and purple. :smileysad: Super sad, not sure where or if I will be getting them now. And the Sephora in the JCP near me is a sad, sad place. 85% of their stuff is out of stock, they dont have much as far as brands go (even though they do have KVD, again most of the stuff is out of stock...) and honestly the staff aside from 2 people are rarely any help and try to force products on me!

I also just looked and the brown eyeliner is out of stock. They aren't getting rid of these are they? D:

mkupgk

The sephora in jc penny near my house is so small.  I occasionally go to the one in Santa Clara where they have a lot of high end s**t and a gigantic sephora store :smileywink:

janinebt

Hi nebel,

Unfortunately not all of our locations have every item or brand that we carry. Last I checked we had over 200 brands, could you imagine how massive each store would be? It's actually kind of nice to daydream about though haha.

I totally agree with starletta8, it's always a good idea to check the in-store availability. You can also just give your local Sephora  a call to have a cast member check to see if they carry a brand.

Also keep in mind that we do have every brand and product that we sell online :smileyhappy:.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
starletta8

Don't forget to check in-store availability on an item before setting out! I'm so happy that Sephora added that feature- I just wish it would extend to SiJCP, too.

arielaaaaaaaa

I wish they would extend it to SiJCP as well. I hate going to the mall just to see if they have something and they usually don't. I wish i could check online before i make the trip to the mall full of crowded rude people! Lol.

nebel

(0) Hearts

I did not know about this feature!!!!!!!! thank you SO MUCH!

katie1724

[ Edited ]

I think it totally depends on the specific store in terms of the brands that are represented; store size is a factor, but even that is not always a guarantee. For instance, there is a (smaller) store near me that stocks Armani Beauty, which isn't even available online (the larger flagship store does not carry it). And sometimes if it's a really high traffic / flagship store, it will sell out of things much faster than a smaller store will.

The next time you're planning a trip, I would call the store ahead of time to ask about the brands they carry, or even specific product availability, so that you're not disappointed.

solveig

(0) Hearts

Wow, I never saw Armani makeup line in Sephora stores anywhere!!! Where is that magical place?

waterbaby1981

I live in Vancouver, WA, so there are three full size Sephora within 25 miles of my house.  When I was in Boise, ID last month though, I went to the only Sephora in the entire state a couple of miles away from my grandfather's house (he was meeting his great-granddaughter for the first time) because I forgot my moisturizer and sunscreen.  It was HUGE...and I thought the Clackamas Town Center one was big!  Also had a ton of the luxury brands, similar to the store on Morrison in downtown Portland.  So yes, the stores are definitely different depending on location.

pinklissamel

I have only been to one actual sephora store and that was in Quatar when I was deployed. Other than that all the othere ones are in JCP and they are small and didnt have much because they were very limited on space and just didnt have room. I can't wait to go somewhere that has an actual free standing Sephora that will be great!!! Sorry that you didnt find what you were looking for. I find that a lot up here in AK, stock is always so low and once its out its out for ever it seems I can never find what I am looking for either I feel your pain.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 18 replies
  • 18 hearts
  • 16 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • sephoramusthave
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • waterbaby1981
    • consolvo
    • janinebt