In-Store Beauty Makeovers! Questions

I was thinking about going to a Sephora and getting one of the makeovers...Can anyone tell me how it works?

I don't want them to put horrible makeup that's not my style on and then I be persuaded to buy it. I just want a killer make over where I can try to products I want to buy and be given advice on what looks best and application techniques? Any advice??

Re: In-Store Beauty Makeovers! Questions

I have had so many makeovers at Sephora.. so here is my advice..

1. you aren't going to get a "killer makeover"

I don't say this rudely, but to manage your expectation. The sales associate that does your makeup is going to give you a 'nice' makeover that 45 minutes or less will allow. That may sound like a load of time, but actually it is not if you were trying for that 'flawless face' because there are so many steps that s/he will not have time for. I rarely got contoured during my makeovers, not because I didn't want it (i did!) but because there wasn't time.

2. The best use of your 45 minutes will be if you pre-plan the products you want used. 

When I first started getting makeovers I thought that I would go with the flow and 'they knew best' but actually I found they were always reaching for whatever hyped product was going on, regardless of my skin type or preference. Again, this wasn't because of any other reason than time. They are trying to give you a nice makeover in the little time they have, and so they go for the 'staples'. To help yourself, and them, save time.. go to the store on a day you aren't busy and write down all the products you want used and just hand that over during your makeover. You cannot rely on the online product list, because most stores don't carry everything. 

3. Prioritize

Like I mentioned, time is an issue. Prioritize what feature you just have to have perfect, and let the makeup artist know up front. If it's all about the 'perfect pout' for you, you don't want too much precious time spend on your eyebrows, leaving your lips 'meh'.

4. Set the canvas

Give your makeover the best chance of being amazing by getting a free mini-facial beforehand. Make sure to leave at least 15 minutes BETWEEN the times, that way you wont panic at being delayed AND it let's your moisturizer soak in perfectly before you start the makeup layers.

5. Say thank you

Don't forget to thank the makeup artist at the end, and fill out a survey of your experience so that s/he gets Kudos for a job well done.

(0) Hearts

So I got a gift card and spent it and scheduled my makeover for the next day. Do you they will allow that or do I have to buy $50 worth of makeup again?

(0) Hearts

what did you find out?

(0) Hearts

Hi, AlluringAllura!

You may wish to contact your local store that you plan to schedule your makeover with to speak with a manager to see how they may advise on proceeding. It's very possible they may require you to bring in your receipt from the day before to verify you indeed made a purchase, but I cannot say for certain this will be the result, so best to check with them direct.

(0) Hearts

I've purchased a $50 dollar eyeshadow palette about 3 weeks ago. I've used it but I saved the receipt. I was wondering if I could show you it and still be able to get a free makeover ?

(0) Hearts

Appointments need to be made in advance, and the purchase needs to be that day of the appointment. 

(0) Hearts

Hi Jessie,
I am totally new to Sephora and just made my first $60 purchase yesterday afternoon. I didn't have a clue that with a purchase of $50 you can have a custom make over of 45 minutes! I walked out of the store and as it is I had a not very good experience...
Browsing the web site last night, I found out about the complementary 45 min. Custom Make over whennyou purchase $50. I immediately booked my appointment on line for today at 2pm. As your comment says, does this mean I have to spend another $50 to get my custom make over today?😔 I made the comment that nobody told me when I was in the store that I could have this deal when I purchased, to tell you the truth, yesterday being Boxing Day, I wasn't approached or helped when I looked for someone, there were not enough employees to help, but 4 people at the door greeting ( whom could have been inside helping customers like me, looking for helpSmiley Sad.
What do you advice me? Shall I call a manager at the store before my appointment to make sure they do things right and they don't expect me to pay another $50 today? My daughter wanted a custom make over too, I could have today's purchase made for her after my appointment, if they respect my purchase from yesterday.
I appreciate your help or anybody else here. My appointment is at 2pm. today and I am a newbie on make up this way, haha which means that I hardly ever wear make up at all. Thank you!

(0) Hearts

Is it free to everyone who makes a $50 purchase? Or just VIB Rouge members?

(0) Hearts

Anyone who makes purchase of $50. That's what I had been told before

(0) Hearts

Just to be clear, I am a Beauty Insider, close to being VIB, but not VIB Rouge

(0) Hearts

If you purchased $50 worth of makeup before at Sephora and have the receipt will you still be able to use it towards a free makeover? 

(0) Hearts

Does the $50 you spend have to be on things the make up artist used on you? Or can you buy ANYTHING in the store? Regardless of what she used?

(0) Hearts

It can be ANYTHING in store. So if it's a $50 perfume, cologne, brush set, eyeshadow palette, doesn't matter. It just has to total over $50 before tax. 

(0) Hearts

I don't think it matters but I've also never been required to purchase a $50 gift card prior to receiving the makeover.just reminded afterward to buy $50 of stuff in-store Smiley Happy But talk to your store before hand because each store is different.

I've made a reservation for a 45min makeover a couple of times in the last few months (October, November and will likely make another one in January) so that I was able to get my makeup done by someone else - less stress for me! - for special events, and pick up some new makeup while I'm there. I made sure to have a few pics of ideas on my phone when I came in to show what sort of look I was going for. Sure, I did spend a lot of time on Pinterest looking at pictures of people wearing makeup but it really did help make it easier for the beauty adviser to come up with options that could be used. I know that special events aren't exactly the same in terms of why you're there to get a makeover, but I've been completely happy with the results (TY Liz and Sheree!) plus $50 worth of makeup minimum is such an easy target to reach.

It's stressful enough for me just getting dressed for the events - not just because I always seem to end up wearing something that requires spanx. Someone else to do my makeup means that there's one less thing I have to be stressed from.

(0) Hearts

Oh, and I didn't feel pressured to buy anything specific, just chose from the various things that they used to do my makeup. The false eyelashes weren't extra per-se, but they did count towards the $50 purchase amount.

(0) Hearts

i wonder if they charge extra for false eyelashes

(0) Hearts

When I had my makeover and eyelashes were the one thing I really wanted to learn how to apply/wear, the SA put them on my eyes, and I had to buy them. By then I was already realizing that wearing false lashes is not for me, but I just didn't want to make a fuss about it. I guess I could've returned them after, but I decided not to bother.

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Lilly28- you should just be able to spend your 50$ giftcard! Smiley Happy  The idea is that you walk away from your makeover with 50$ in purchases. Sounds to me like you are good to go! Hopefully one of the Mods will let you know for sure!

(0) Hearts

I already have my $50 gift card. Could I use it for the makeover or do I have to buy another card the day of the makeover?

Conversation Stats