SpiderAngiee

If I were to book a makeover, can it be done to help me create a Halloween makeup look?

(0) Hearts

I just became a VIB so I was wondering if I could do that.

warriorwitch

Re: If I were to book a makeover, can it be done to help me create a Halloween makeup look?

(0) Hearts

Because of the internet cultural symbols are no longer exclusive to their native areas. That is why Chinese characters, the Flur de Lys, Celtic knots, ankhs, Maori tribal designs and Sugar Skulls can all end up having different, deep and non traditional meanings to people who have no cultural "claim" to these symbols. That doesn't negate the power, significance, or purity of the symbols.

Now ideally, people would have a reason for what they like, but with the times being what they are that is not very realistic. Some people will simply do things because they like it in the same way they may like wearing red shoes. Either the person will learn or ascribe meaning to a symbol or they wont (and the later group will not listen to people telling them not to use it, most likely such request will ellicit the opposite response).

I understand that we want people to do things with knowledge and respect the traditional symbols they may chose to adopt but its not exactly a winnable battle. Every cultural has gone through a major crap hole at some point and most people living today are oblivious to this, we live in our own world completely divorced from things that were prevalent only a decade or two ago. 

Sorry this got a little long. What I am trying to say is that instead of instantly shouting "no, you can't do that" and berating people for their choices maybe we should nicely encourage them to find out a little more about what they are doing. They just might fall in love with a cultural they knew nothing about. :smileyvery-happy:

aviscardi

Re: If I were to book a makeover, can it be done to help me create a Halloween makeup look?

(0) Hearts

Im not familiar with day of the dead of halloween looks. But Nicole Guerriero on YT just posted a sugar skull tutorial -- a feminine one i think it was. And then she has an older one from last year. Maybe you can try that or take a pic of it with you if that's what you're looking for 

SpiderAngiee

(0) Hearts

Well I want to learn how to do a Day of the Dead sugar skull look. You think they'll be up for it?

lilyyy

Please Google "Don't Mess Up When You Dress Up: Cultural Appropriation and Costumes" and read why mocking another culture is not Halloween fun.

Excerpt:

Halloween is a notorious time for offensive outfits. If you're still not sure what your costume is going to be this year, make sure you don't go the culturally appropriative route. Dressing up as "another culture," is racist, and an act of privilege. Not only does it lead to offensive, inaccurate, and stereotypical portrayals of other people's culture (Do you think Día de los Muertos is just "Mexican Halloween"? Well it's not, so put away your facepaint), but is also an act of appropriation in which someone who does not experience that oppression is able to "play," temporarily, an "exotic" other, without experience any of the daily discriminations faced by other cultures. Like dressing up as a "sexy squaw" while being completely unaware of the horrific rates of sexual violence Native women face.

neko333

It's impossible to outlaw Halloween costumes (and it would be pretty sad if you could). The idea behind Halloween has never been to mock but to conceal ones identity so that the evil spirits won't recognize you or will be more scared of you. I'm sure there are horribly insulting costumes but it's not something to sweat over, it's really insignificant. We would have to go to the stores and get rid of all the Native American, geisha, Jesus (occasionally on a T-Rex), Jewish, Inuit, Irish, and various political figure costumes. I'm sure there are more but this was what I found in a two second Google search.Unless you find all of these equally offensive then your outrage is misplaced. I can tell you right now four of the listed above costumes can be construed to be insulting either to my beliefs or heritage. I care not, there are lots of things to be outraged at in this world. Halloween costumes not so much. 

odoriferouscand

(0) Hearts

Hmm, well I don't think the day of the dead makeup would apply to this. I have plenty Mexican friends and white friends that do this every year and don't feel like it is a racist gesture, but maybe I am not politically correct. I live in New Mexico, so it's pretty normal. The Native American thing, however, I do not believe is appropriate because the term "squaw" is pretty offensive. But I don't think the day of the dead thing should be seen like this and it's a little ridiculous in my opinion that someone wouldn't be able to wear the skull face for Halloween. : )

lilyyy

There's nothing political about it. The sugar skulls are meant to honor ancestors, not for jokingly mocking.

This is about respecting other people and their beliefs/what they hold importance to.

You can do a skull face, but that's not what you were intending was it? You wanted to do day of the dead skill--BIG DIFFERENCE.

Meg82

Unless you are Mexican yourself, it's a problematic thing to do.  If you aren't from a culture and you take attributes of it without really understanding their context, you are doing something offensive even if your friends don't think it is offensive.

Skull face for Halloween, sure, sounds good, but when you make that skull face a specifically Dia de los Muertos skull you are being problematic.

Meg82

Thank you for posting this, it's a very important thing to read especially at this time of year.

NotCrocker

(0) Hearts

I think you need to ask your actual store. Someone may be up for it, someone may not. Either way, definitely make it clear in the appointment booking phonecall that that is what you are looking for and let us know if it works out!

SpiderAngiee

(0) Hearts

I will do that., Thanks! 

LadyInWhite

(0) Hearts

I'd even go so far as to ask if any of the staff would be interested in doing it ~ might be worth it to go on a different day than you were planning so that you can work with an artist that is really into it.

mimibel

(0) Hearts

I asked last time I was in-store and my gal I usually do makeup appointments with said 'sure'. 

SpiderAngiee

(0) Hearts

I think i'll just call and make sure. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 9 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • aviscardi
    • lilyyy
    • neko333
    • odoriferouscand