MintShake

Getting Angry...

So over the course of a few months, I've noticed that I and tons of other ladies' negative reviews have been deleted, or never posted by Sephora. Needless to say, I'm highly disappointed in this company ( I'm not really going to go into depth, but) simple and short, nobody likes giving bad reviews, but it's a shame that Sephora cares more about reviews than the satisfaction of the costumer, apparently. Has anyone else had the same experience? Speak out now, while you can !

shimmerbait

Re: Getting Angry...

(0) Hearts

My 4 and 5 star reviews seem to post very quickly. I wrote a negative 1-star review regarding a moisturizer, that although I loved the consistancy and feel of this particular product, it caused me to break out in a horrific rash. I mentioned I had used it in the past, loved it, and never had problems. Sephora never posted this review. If the rash was a trending QC issue, I would hope Sephora at least passed the information along to the manufacturer. If the rash was just me having a bad reaction, I wrote with the intention of letting other clients know that perhaps this product is a YMMV.

I've always loved reading customer reviews, and most of my impulse purchases are based on positive ratings, but reading that Sephora is actively disregarding negative reviews and skewing product ratings leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth.

sbowden

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I wrote a particularly (overly) negative review of Clinique's DDML+ that was taken down about a day later.  I'm thinking it might have been because it was a new product and I compared its results to that of an oil slick... Oh well, to each her own :smileyhappy:

miluzoo

(0) Hearts

A few of my negative reviews were sadly deleted but surprisingly the one for a Becca Quad remains. I was really shocked to see it still up because when I wrote it, it was one of the few reviews and really brought down the star rating. I think this is why I prefer blogging rather than writing website reviews :/ 

cpeezy

(0) Hearts

Maybe we should make a thread where people can talk about products they dislike from sephora, a 'warning' if you will so others don't make the same mistake!

:smileyhappy:

sephoralovex

(0) Hearts

Surprisingly my negative reviews haven't been taken down yet. I usually just state a couple sentences to not make it long.

BeautyLove02

Can't reply to BeautyTester but just followed your blog after reading :smileyhappy:

itscarin

I haven't noticed that but if they're doing it that's obnoxious.  I hate when bloggers/corporations can't handle criticisms with aplomb.  It's part of being  professional.  I recently noticed Christine from Temptalia isn't publishing negative comments -- I posted two chiding her for her ridiculously sponsored Cover Girl post and none of them ever made it out of moderation.  It's a turn off!

katie1724

(0) Hearts

That IS a turn off -- is she not publishing comments that are negative to her blog in any way, or all negative comments (i.e. disagreeing with her positive review)?

MintShake

(0) Hearts

Temptalia really angers me. She reviews products she knows she's going to hate, so why even bother? Plus the Mac quads, she always gives them a bad rating...like popular blogs like hers turn off people from buying from a company and I think that's disrespectful and kinda manipulative. 

nebel

I think she always gives the MAC quads a bad rating because they are TERRIBLE :smileysad:

Ten or so years ago, MAC was really at the top of their game.  Their pre-made palettes were the same quality as the rest of their shadows, and all of it was amazing.  That's when I first "met" Christine AKA Temptalia on the internet- she was a frequent poster in the Mac_cosmetics LJ community as were many other makeup lovers.

We ALL loved MAC back then and we all did stupid things to get it.  This was before widespread fraud and fake makeup on ebay. (At least to the extent it is now)  We had a blast.

So, when many "old timers" express such disappointment in MAC, part of it is because we remember how good the brand USED to be, and got increasingly disillusioned with the poor quality they've been putting out at ludicrously increased prices over the past decade. 

IMO, the only thing MAC worth having anymore are lip products. I wouldn't go near the pre-made quads with a ten foot pole.

person11

(0) Hearts

MAC quads are SO awful.  I couldn't even put one in a TSB.  It went in the trash.

itscarin

Are you talking about her having a bias against certain products, or just reviewing low-quality products?  I would say that reviewing low-quality products is still helpful because it lets people know that it's low-quality and why it performs poorly.  If it's just a bias against a product, even if it's ok quality, then she should just skip the reviews if she can't give an impartial review.

To your second point about a popular blog turning off people from buying something -- it's not disrespectful or manipulative.  If someone puts out a terrible product, consumers have the right to know that it's a bad product, and to make their purchases (or lack thereof) based on that information.  That's the whole purpose of reviews!

I want to know what's bad just as much as I want to know what's good.  That way I don't have to spend the money on a product to find out it doesn't work well. 

miluzoo

(0) Hearts

I noticed that too! That's a shame because it truly adds to the discussion knowing that her post should be viewed with a critical eye, given the blatant sponsorship and yet she deletes intelligently written critical comments for the mere crime of disagreeing with her. 

itscarin

(0) Hearts

I used to see her posting and responding to negative feedback with aplomb.  I thought that was really classy and respected her for it, but now, I've written a couple of pieces of constructive criticism for her and she's deleted them twice.  Now I know she's untrustworthy and I don't respect her.  I'm not visiting her site unless I need a swatch.

katie1724

[ Edited ]

I have successfully posted negative reviews, but you have to be careful to adhere to Sephora's content requirements and/or not violate their TOS. If you mention outside products, cost, cite other products for comparison, etc. -- the review will not post (or will be removed). I don't believe Sephora removes reviews solely for the sake of being negative.

spoiledbrat

Ladies, if Sephora will not replace your brushes, I would contact Drybar thru their website. They can be difficult to reach, but once you make contact with a human I have found them helpful. You can also let them know you do not want to jump ship to DreamBar :smileywink:

ShinyMagpie

I've written negative reviews that are still up. Actually those are the only reviews I've written. I'm more likely to write a review when I find a product disappointing. 

I take all the positive reviews with a grain of salt. It's kind of like the reviews on amazon for things. I always go looking for blogs and other sources to see what they say. Some are more honest than others. I always take into account when a blogger or vlogger has received a product for free. They are more likely to speak kindly of it if they didn't have to pay for it. 

AllyKatVA

I find I am more likely to trust someone who has written/posted both positive AND negative reviews.

Plantgarden

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I gave an in depth review of Two Faced BB Cream, with pictures of the product.   I gave what I like and did not like, it was over-all rated a 1 star.  I kept within guidelines.  I was respectful and objective.

I did not mention other products, pricing, etc....

My review was removed, I think it was because the product had too many other negative reviews.

And the ironic thing is,...I had/have about 50 items I had planned on  doing a review.  The Too Faced item was the only item that would have gotten a rating lower than 4 stars.   After that review being deleted, I'm not going to waste my time.

MintShake

(0) Hearts

It's a shame. I wrote this in-depth review for the Naked 2 and it was never posted. The irony is that even if the product has bad reviews, it's not going to stop people from trying it anyways...

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 38 replies
  • 45 hearts
  • 25 in conversation
    • kalex
    • katie1724
    • miluzoo
    • itscarin
    • sephoralovex
    • spoiledbrat