JoTown

After a couple bad ones...

...I got the worst experience in a "high end" store I have honestly ever had.

After having played foundation-tag (purchasing and then returning) 4 times over the last few weeks, trying to find the right color/longevity combo I went into the Murray, UT store to return the Dior makeup that 1) didn't match and 2) didn't last.  I was already a little frustrated because the 4 times I'd been in to this store specifically, I'd been virtually ignored, and 3 out of the 4 times hadn't even been greeted.  I feel intimidated walking into a store with so many options, and I prefer to have some assistance while making a decision, but the last go around I decided to just order from the on-line store.

When I got to the cash register the representative was annoyed looking and extremely short.  I get bad days, but I also don't need to be the target of anyone else's.  I had my makeup to return which I handed to her and let her know I didn't have my receipt but I did have my DL. After inputting the information she looked at me and said, "You KNOW you can only do 3 returns a year without a receipt before we don't let you anymore?!"  The answer to that is, no I didn't.  I'd never heard of this limitation before, and told her that I hadn't been receiving any assistance when I'd been into the store previously and had decided to order online.  The representative at the cash register next to her jumped in and told me that I could keep the receipt that comes in the box (which had I known about the 3-reciept rule, I certainly would have). 

I then asked them how they recommended receiving assistance in the future, hoping they would potentially acknowledge my real frustration, but got the responses of, "Just ask somebody" and "We give out samples ALL the time, so you can just try those at home."  I was appalled at the first answer, which made me feel belittled and disrespected (because obviously I would ask someone if they were available)  and to the second: I haven't received a free sample from that store in over 6 months, and what I did get were face masks (not quite what I was shopping for).  After say, "Oh yes, I'm sure I could do that" I thanked the representative as she handed me my receipt.  All I got from her was a dirty look, no response.

I come from a work background of customer service, with Apple being the most recent, and I will admit to having high expectations about customer service.  However, when I am shelling out $50+ on makeup, I don't find that unreasonable.  I also can say that I have never felt so undermined as a CUSTOMER.  I tried to find a venue to give the store some direct feedback, however all I found were phone numbers. If customer treatment like I had just experienced with representatives on the cash register is deemed acceptable behavior by that store, I'd hate to find out how store mangers treat customers.

emmaclaire

Re: After a couple bad ones...

(0) Hearts

It definitely sounds like there was some rudeness going on, but I encourage you to refuse to be intimidated - if you have a question, you deserve an answer!  I know it's really really tough when there aren't enough people around or no one's being helpful; when that happens to me, I usually go up to the register and smile, then tell whoever's up there that I have some questions and stand there patiently until someone can assist me.  Sometimes that means silently raging inside because I'm getting blown off by employees of a store where I'm trying to SPEND MONEY, but I always figure that if I came to a store for something, I'm going to get it or I'm going to get an answer for what's going on.

Also, please feel free to come here whenever you have a question about anything.  Foundation can be SO tricky because it's so so so subjective (whether it's a good formula or a perfect color match, etc.) but a lot of users on here have great advice and would love to help.  That way, when you go into the store you can have at least a starting place.

JoTown

(0) Hearts

Ms. emmaclaire,

I appreciate the support.  I didn't really know this was here until I was looking around for a Store Feedback forum, and to be honest I wish I had! It would given me some direction on where to go with my foundation purchases, and might even compel me to continue to shop online.

As for the customer service aspect: I 100% acknowledge that I have high standards for service (which probably comes from doing retail customer service for so long), but that's why I don't shop at WalMart.  I dislike being minimized as a customer, whether it is entering a store and not being acknowledged by the representative standing right there, or at the cash register having my concerns given eye-rolls instead of consideration.

dianabt

(0) Hearts

Hi JoTown,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience :smileysad:  I would like to forward your feedback directly to store management. I'll send you a message to follow up and please let me know if you'd like someone from the store to contact you back in regards to this.

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
JoTown

(0) Hearts

Thanks dianabt for the follow up.  I appreciate it. :smileyhappy:

neko333

(0) Hearts

Um, you realize when they were talking about "free samples" you can ask them to fix you a sample of any foundation you want to try. You just have to wait until one of them are free and ask. They do sometimes randomly put free samples in your bag at checkout when they have them (I've gotten random hand lotion samples before). It's just one of those things you have to ask for, they won't do it otherwise. By getting them to make you free samples of things you don't have to do returns. They give you enough for about a week usually. 

JoTown

neko333,

I actually had no idea that was a service they offered, and I'm not sure how I should have known about it if "you have to ask for, they don't do it otherwise."

Obviously this goes along with same theme of "I couldn't get anyone to assist/give me information" that I referred to in my post.

neko333

(0) Hearts

Well I didn't really ask anybody. It was more just something that I found out. The first time I went in I wasn't aware of it either. The next time I had looked online and found out they did free samples. As I am like you when it comes to makeup. I do not want to pay so much for something that doesn't work. I am frugal with my money. 

Why wouldn't they assist you? Sometimes when my store is busy I have to wait for quite a while until one is done (Usually helping someone or fixing something in the store). Sometimes it's like a five minute wait, other times I could be there for thirty minutes. Also if they are with another customer they pretty much ignore everyone until they are done with that customer. I think what I'm trying to get at is were they busy helping others and that's why you didn't get assisted or were they just sitting around and ignored you when you asked for help?

JoTown

neko333,

I'm not entirely sure what intent your questions have.  Do you mind elaborating for me?

Thanks!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 7 hearts
  • 4 in conversation
    • emmaclaire
    • dianabt
    • neko333
    • JoTown