Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

YOUR SKINCARE STORY

this little questionnaire is floating around instagram, and i thought it might be fun to bring it over here. i'll post the questions written out in the spoiler for easy copying & pasting, and post my answers below too 🙂

skincarestory.jpg

Spoiler

1. How did you get into skincare ?

2. What is your favorite skincare step ?

3. What is your favorite skincare ingredient ?

4. Which products are currently on your wishlist ?

5. Which brand / product would you never spend your money on ?

6. What is your biggest skincare regret ?

7. What is your HG skincare trick ?

8. What are 3 of your all time favorite products ?

9. Who is your skincare inspiration ?

10. What is your 2017 skincare goal ?

Re: YOUR SKINCARE STORY

I love reading everyone's questionnaire answers on BT! 

1. How did you get into skincare? My mom! She's an avid fan of Estee Lauder, which she has been using since the late '70s, believe it or not. She taught me the importance of skincare early on, when she bought me that Clinique soap, toner, and yellow moisturizer set when I was in my early teens. 

2. What is your favorite skincare step? I love the way my face feels after using either the First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads or Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta peels. 

3. What is your favorite skincare ingredient? Hmm, I don't really have one. Glycolic acid?

4. Which products are currently on your wishlist? I'd love to try more Tata Harper products and any May Lindstrom products. Unfortunately, my skin is a bit sensitive, and I'm scared to try new things!

5. What brand/product would you never spend your money on? My skin hates everything I've tried from Sunday Riley and La Mer, which saves me money!

6. What is your biggest skincare regret? None, really. I guess just that period of time when I wanted to be as tan as possible? Seriously, I'm Asian with light skin most of the year. When I'm super tan, strangers ask me if I'm from Hawaii or they start speaking to me in Spanish (I do live in a border state). 

7. What is your HG skincare trick? I can't think of any.

8. What are 3 of your all time favorite products? Right now, I'm loving Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta peels, Farmacy Eye Dew, and Ole Henriksen night treatment.

9. Who is your skincare inspiration? My mom. Her skin is flawless. She just turned 70 and looks like she's in her 50s. 

10. What is your 2017 skincare goal? Add more anti-aging products.

1. How did you get into skincare ?bi honestly don't remember. I feel like I had a pimple in my 20's and I went into Sephora and it began. 

2. What is your favorite skincare step ? This is a hard one. I think when I use a beauty balm, I enjoy putting it on. 

3. What is your favorite skincare ingredient ? Similar to @jemly, I'm a big lactic acid fan, lately, I've loved Shea butter. 

4. Which products are currently on your wishlist ? Hmm... Good question. I'm currently waiting to try the Mahalo Petal mask. I am interested in trying their original balm. Senhora also started carrying a brand that does a beauty balm. I'm interested in trying that too. LXCMI or something like that. 

5. Which brand / product would you never spend your money on ? Sunday Riley. I know; this is unpopular, but I don't like that she seems to market to younger people who don't need anti aging products. I also tried something once that burnt my face so. 

6. What is your biggest skincare regret ? A couple years ago, I greens oil nuts and caused myself some adult acne. I didn't read directions and I was doing too much. Never again. 

7. What is your HG skincare trick ? Masking... A mix of moisture masks and enzyme based ones several times a week. 

8. What are 3 of your all time favorite products ? Sarah Chapman Liquid Resurfacer, May Lindstrom Youth Dew, Tata Harper Resurfacing Mask

9. Who is your skincare inspiration ? I don't know if I have one. I am inspired to have the best skin I can have. 
10. What is your 2017 skincare goal ? I want to explore going a bit more natural in my skincare regimen. 

@mrsbaine  I tried the Petal mask. Only once but I liked it. I think I have enough for a second round so hopefully this will confirm it. Did you order it or samples? @Mochapj  was nice to point me in the direction of Alyaka. It's a UK website that sells Mahalo and they have a sample set you can buy. You get samples of all the products but the lip tint and a credit to put towards a full size item. 🙂

Thanks @veronika23! I bought the mask already and it should be here on Saturday. I am excited to try it! I am also interested in the Vitality Elixir. I use May Lindstrom's The Youth Dew and I really like it; I want to ensure that I have something a tad lighter for the summer. I'm considering giving it a whirl and ordering it through Detox Market who has a great return policy. 

@mrsbaine  that's awesome! I hope you like it! I am pretty sure I'll end up purchasing the full size 🙂

Anonymous Insider

I'll screen shot mine from today. I can't wait to see everyone's answers!

IMG_3374.PNG

1. How did you get into skincare ? once upon a time, a few years ago (i was in my late 20s) i got in a fight with my then boyfriend. i was angry and refusing to speak to him, so i shut my phone off for 3 days and fell into a blog k-hole. a specific blog, non stop, for days (i think it was a long weekend or something). the fighting-with-boyfriend bit is entirely irrelevant, but i always laugh when i look back on it because it flung me in a trajectory i'm not sure i'd have ever found otherwise. so, while fuming, i learned a lot. i already had a lot of discipline when it came to keeping up a skincare routine, but reading this started me on a path of having more context and understanding as to what products and ingredients actually do. my approach to skincare became much much more informed and i could approach products and routines (and advice) with a much more critical mind. around this time i also was in esthetician school, but promptly had to drop out due to personal stuff. the passion remains though

2. What is your favorite skincare step ? oil is the 'treat' for me, followed closely, though, by cleanser.

3. What is your favorite skincare ingredient ? lactic acid.

4. Which products are currently on your wishlist ?

so sooooooo many lovely things, but currently: a full size tub of OMOROVICZA thermal cleansing balm and a full size box of DR DENNIS GROSS ultra gentle alpha beta peel pads.

5. Which brand / product would you never spend your money on ? anything--cheap or expensive--that contains mineral oil (ok for body--though still not my favorite--but never, ever on my face). 

6. What is your biggest skincare regret ? not washing my face properly as a teen, and not understanding moisturizer. i would get treatments for my acne but they would dry out my skin so badly that i would stop using them and give up entirely. that obviously would lead to worse breakouts. it was a vicious cycle and my heart hurts for my 15 yr old self.

7. What is your HG skincare trick ? applying a dab of oil onto a pimple to expedite bringing it to a head and to prevent scarring.

8. What are 3 of your all time favorite products ? oh this is hard. CLARINS blue orchid oil. FAB facial radiance pads. VICHY aqualia thermal serum.

9. Who is your skincare inspiration ? i'd be remiss if i didn't say caroline hirons. my skincare sister, though, would be @Mochapj

10. What is your 2017 skincare goal ? learn more. 

@jemly  Omorovicza is cheaper to buy in the UK and Cult has a gwp going on right now. Plus you can get cashback via a UK cashback site. Pm me if you need a referral. That's how I got my hands on it. I love that stuff!  Oh if you aren't interested in the gwp I think you can get 15% off when you complete your profile on Cult but TMK you can't combine the discount and the gwp. The code is YOU15 but I think it only works if you fill out your profile.

@jemly  What kind of oil would you use for pimples? Like regular baby oil or something of higher quality?

Also, you mention both Dr. Dennis Gross peel pads and FAB facial radiance pads. Do you prefer one over the other? And how often do you use each kind? 

@Saschattack oh no no no no, i never put mineral oil on my face. i meant any of my regular facial oils (both of CLARINS 'blue orchid' and 'lotus' oils are my favorites).

as for the pads, they're both great. the DR DENNIS GROSS pads are more hardcore (even as the 'ultra gentle' variety), but the FAB pads are more economical and therefore more of a staple in my everyday skincare (i love the PIXI glow tonic too)

Thank you! I'm very new to the whole oil skincare kinda stuff. I'll take a look at the Clarins one the next time I go in store! 🙂

@SaschattackI have a brand new lotus oil for trade if you are ever interested 🙂 

@shirleylin88 Okay! I'll message you if I end up wanting it. Although I'm in Canada so I'm not sure how you would feel about trading cross border. For myself it would have to be a high value trade. 

Your fight with boyfriend story! Love. I bet he never knew what he did for you!

Yay! You did it @jemly 

I would love to do it once my monsters are in their beds 😉

Conversation Stats
Photos3
  • skincarestory.jpg
  • IMG_3374.PNG
  • skincare
testing